Angel in the Postal Service...

Closed Thread
Old 12-10-2007, 08:52 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna
Default Angel in the Postal Service...

I have no idea who wrote this but it was sent to me and I thought it was precious...
The Villages Florida

Angel in the Postal Service

This is one of the kindest things I've ever experienced.
I have no way to know who sent it, but there is a kind soul working in the dead letter office of the US postal service.

Our 14 year old dog, Abbey, died last month. The day after she died, my 4 year old daughter Meredith was
crying and talking about how much she missed Abbey.

She asked if we could write a letter to God so that when Abbey got to heaven, God would recognize her. I told her that I thought we could so she dictated these words:

Dear God,
Will you please take care of my dog? She died yesterday and is with you in heaven. I miss her very much. I am happy that you let me have her as my dog even though she got sick.
I hope you will play with her. She likes to play with balls and to swim. I am sending a picture of her so when you see her you will know that she is my dog. I really miss her.
Love, Meredith.

We put the letter in an envelope with a picture of Abbey and Meredith and addressed it to God/Heaven. We put our return address on it.

Then Meredith pasted several stamps on the front of the envelope because she said it would take lots of stamps to get the letter all the way to heaven.

That afternoon she dropped it into the letter box at the post office. A few days later, she asked if God had gotten the letter yet. I told her that I thought He had.

Yesterday, there was a package wrapped in gold paper on our front porch addressed, 'To Meredith' in an unfamiliar hand.

Meredith opened it. Inside was a book by Mr. Rogers called, 'When a Pet Dies.' Taped to the inside front cover was the letter we had written to God in its opened envelope. On the opposite page was the picture of Abbey & Meredith and this note:

Dear Meredith,

Abbey arrived safely in heaven. Having the picture was a big help. I recognized Abbey right away.

Abbey isn't sick anymore. Her spirit is here with me just like it stays in your heart. Abbey loved being your dog. Since we don't need our bodies in heaven, I don't have any pockets to keep your picture in, so I am sending it back to you in this little book for you to keep and have something to remember Abbey by.

Thank you for the beautiful letter and thank your mother for helping you write it and sending it to me. What a wonderful mother you have. I picked her especially for you. I send my blessings every day and remember that I love you very much. By the way, I am wherever there is love.
Love, God The Villages Florida

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 12-10-2007, 09:36 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Angel in the Postal Service...

Way to go, Donna.

Look what snopes.com has to say about this.

http://www.snopes.com/glurge/abbey.asp

Old 12-10-2007, 11:23 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Old 12-11-2007, 12:12 AM
Veteran member

This made me cry.....and it felt good. Things like this energizes our souls....doesn't it? Batteries fully recharged. Thanks D.
Hollywood, FL
Woodstock, GA
The Villages, FL
Old 12-11-2007, 04:24 PM
Sage

Beautiful Donna, thanks for sharing

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 12-11-2007, 04:40 PM
Dancing Thyme

Beautiful story, Donna and thanks Tony, the background was very interesting.

Ok, so its only 8:30 in the morning and already you guys have me crying like a baby. What a beautiful gesture, the person who wrote back to Meridith will certainly go to heaven. It just makes you realize how many wonderful people there truly are in the world.

Thanks for sharing, :'( :'(

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 12-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

That's really nice, Donna, thanks for sharing. One of my two dogs (they were sisters) passed on this year, and I still do miss her. I like to think God has a special place for the pets and animals. She was a bundle of love in our family for many years.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.