Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2020, 05:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
Dream on. Telemarketers are forever whether they get a sale or not
They are in business to make money.

If they do not sell they make no money and will go away.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:45 AM

I have begun to punch a number that gets me to "an agent", then put the phone down and listen to them try to talk to me. I feel my little delay will at least save a few other people from getting called.
Old 10-07-2020, 05:57 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 449 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzieBorden View Post
With a Verizon feature that comes with my service, most of mine now come through as “Potential Spam”. Yesterday I received a text from Verizon that says they will now route those calls to Voicemail for extra protection, this will come with the iOS14 update called “Silence Junk Callers”. This will auto-block potential spam calls and send them to your “recent calls & Voicemail”. Since Verizon started the potential spam feature, it has been much better, and I can only imagine that this will enhance what we already have. Anyone else using this feature?
AT&T has the same. I have had mine for 6-7 months. It does not get them all but enough. I have also seen a downward turn in the spam calls since they started this program.
For landlines there is a device that you can hook to your landline to stop spam calls and to block up to 15,000 numbers. I got one for my dad and it works right on getting rid of the spam calls.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,022 Times in 454 Posts

When I am lucky enough to get a live person, I play this for them.

Sick Villain Sounds
Old 10-07-2020, 06:14 AM
Veteran member
Default Multi calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I'm so accustomed to getting daily calls from "Angela", letting me know that this is her final attempt to contact me about an extended warranty on my auto, that I'm almost beginning to think I may miss her when she stops calling.

LOL
I get one or two calls every week from a company that wants to “improve” my Medicare experience. Each call sounds like the same person, but from locations all around the country, but mostly from Southern California. I have told them, at least 20 times to take me off their call list, but when I do, they just hang up. A couple of days later I will get another call. I think I’ll get a loud whistle and blow out some eardrums if it keeps going on.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:25 AM

I get a phone call once weekly alerting me “this is the final attempt to contact me concerning the approval of My student loan”. Every time she calls I block the number. She must have several banks of numbers because the call come from a different number each time.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:33 AM

Caller ID, if number is unknown I do not answer. Call goes to voice mail. If it is a telemarketer I block it. Why waste time answering a number I do not know. If you are on my caller ID list I answer. Once you answer they keep trying.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I find it dismaying that enough people buy from telemarketers to make it profitable for them to spend money on it. I have never and never will buy from a telemarketer. If people would stop buying from them they would go out of business and never bother us again.
...but Social Security or Medicare won't go out of business for a while!
Old 10-07-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromNY View Post
Caller ID, if number is unknown I do not answer. Call goes to voice mail. If it is a telemarketer I block it. Why waste time answering a number I do not know. If you are on my caller ID list I answer. Once you answer they keep trying.
How do you block it if the incoming number changes all the time and call backs answer with "number disconnected?"
Old 10-07-2020, 06:51 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,858 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:
I'm so accustomed to getting daily calls from "Angela", letting me know that this is her final attempt to contact me about an extended warranty on my auto, that I'm almost beginning to think I may miss her when she stops calling.

LOL
The people who own these companies should receive serious prison time (and be tortured by having to deal with 24 hour calls and salespeople).

Usually I just hang up. Last month I let some girl make her spiel. Then I quietly told her there was no way I was ever going to buy an extended warranty, and was there any way I could be removed from the call list so people like her won’t waste their time. She said she would take care of it. I THINK it helped, at least for a few weeks.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadog View Post
When I am lucky enough to get a live person, I play this for them.

Sick Villain Sounds
They're very good at hanging up immediately. You have to keep them on the phone for a while and congratulate them for being a "supervisor" or ask them to hold while you let your dog in. Then hit them with a surprise.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choro&Swing View Post
The people who own these companies should receive serious prison time (and be tortured by having to deal with 24 hour calls and salespeople).

Usually I just hang up. Last month I let some girl make her spiel. Then I quietly told her there was no way I was ever going to buy an extended warranty, and was there any way I could be removed from the call list so people like her won’t waste their time. She said she would take care of it. I THINK it helped, at least for a few weeks.
Much too kind! I bet they tagged you as kind and made you a bigger target. These people are hard core scum.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpk111 View Post
How do you block it if the incoming number changes all the time and call backs answer with "number disconnected?"
It's not a good idea to call back a telemarketer. You could be making an international call and your phone company will charge you for it. And, there is no way to remove the charge from your bill.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
It's not a good idea to call back a telemarketer. You could be making an international call and your phone company will charge you for it. And, there is no way to remove the charge from your bill.
Most of mine come from my local area code. ...which is why I answer in the first place. ...for example to confirm a doctor's appointment and the call may come from a secondary number.
Old 10-07-2020, 07:06 AM

Quote:

LOL
She is also calling me. She moves around quite a bit. Sometimes she calls from PA, and other times FL. I thought we had something going but then she started calling my wife too.
Closed Thread

Tags
angela, warranty, auto, beginning, miss

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.