Another Mass Shooting

Closed Thread
Old 05-31-2019, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts
Unhappy Another Mass Shooting

Very few actual details, on who/why/what was used.

Although limited info as of now, Police Chief says..."long-time employee."

Quote:
12 dead, including suspect, in Virginia Beach shooting: Police

Twelve people are dead, including the suspected gunman, after a shooting occurred at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center on Friday afternoon, according to police.

Six additional victims were taken to the hospital with injuries, Virginia Beach Police Chief James Cervera told reporters during a press conference. An emergency services spokesperson would not comment on the condition of the injured victims.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Very few actual details, on who/why/what was used.

Although limited info as of now, Police Chief says..."long-time employee."
My confidence is very low that this will cause even a ripple in our society; it has ceased to do so. We simply accept it every time, send thoughts and prayers and change nothing. And now, our society does not even discuss doing anything.
Old 05-31-2019, 06:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

What has changed in our society that people now think shooting a group of people is the answer to their problems or is the avenue for revenge?

I know people are going to take their usual positions about guns but we've always had guns. We haven't always had this number of mass shootings. What has changed?

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-31-2019, 06:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
What has changed in our society that people now think shooting a group of people is the answer to their problems or is the avenue for revenge?

I know people are going to take their usual positions about guns but we've always had guns. We haven't always had this number of mass shootings. What has changed?
You are correct. We have become a hate filled society, where it is now normal NOT to express what we believe in, but only to insure we identify those we hate.

I am not anti gun, but I resent the thinking that being macho is an answer. That seems to be the prevailing mood now, and frankly it will worsen...our individual psyches cannot take hate day in and day out. We are being "taught" and shown by examples each day that we should "fight fire with fire" and playing a victim is acceptable.

You mentioned young people and that is for another thread, but in any case, if you simply bring up disgust at shootings, you are assured you will be assailed and told guns don't kill people....somebody once asked...then why do killers have them ?

I have no idea of this particular motive, but you must be filled with hate to even contemplate action like this
Old 05-31-2019, 07:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
You are correct. We have become a hate filled society, where it is now normal NOT to express what we believe in, but only to insure we identify those we hate.

I am not anti gun, but I resent the thinking that being macho is an answer. That seems to be the prevailing mood now, and frankly it will worsen...our individual psyches cannot take hate day in and day out. We are being "taught" and shown by examples each day that we should "fight fire with fire" and playing a victim is acceptable.

You mentioned young people and that is for another thread, but in any case, if you simply bring up disgust at shootings, you are assured you will be assailed and told guns don't kill people....somebody once asked...then why do killers have them ?

I have no idea of this particular motive, but you must be filled with hate to even contemplate action like this
Get people reading more books than playing video games and the like. Books usually create empathy with other people which is something that seems to be eroding in our culture. It is harder I expect to shoot someone whom you see as a person like yourself. And I believe this is drawn out in how the military used to dehumanize various "enemies' through the use of propaganda which describes other people in the most banal of ways.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:09 PM
Sage

Quote:

You mentioned young people and that is for another thread, but in any case, if you simply bring up disgust at shootings, you are assured you will be assailed and told guns don't kill people....somebody once asked...then why do killers have them?

I have no idea of this particular motive, but you must be filled with hate to even contemplate action like this.

The current depth of hate and the 'acceptance' of it by a lot of people...needs to stop.

And that's not going to happen with just..."thoughts and prayers."

I also believe the easy access to firearms...plays a role in these horrific incidents.

While I won't speculate as to what type(s) of weapon(s) he used, I would be willing to bet that he brought plenty of ammo (even if it was a handgun)...and he wasn't using a 6-shot revolver that took time to reload.
Old 05-31-2019, 07:12 PM
Sage

Quote:

I absolutely agree that we have become a hate filled society. But again, why? What is perpetrating this?

How can you be taught to fight fire with fire and that being a victim is acceptable? It would seem counter intuitive.

I believe everyone should be outraged at these shootings. But I'll place my outrage with the shooter.

Not sure where I mentioned young people but this problem does seem to affect the young more prevalently than an older demographic. What are the influences that make this generation go this route? Is it lead by example? Is it that they've been raised with more violence in their lives? Violent video games and media? I just want to know what is causing this.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:19 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Violent video games and media certainly play a big part, that and the ease of getting a gun. "So easy a caveman could do it"

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 05-31-2019, 07:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
I absolutely agree that we have become a hate filled society. But again, why? What is perpetrating this?

How can you be taught to fight fire with fire and that being a victim is acceptable? It would seem counter intuitive.

I believe everyone should be outraged at these shootings. But I'll place my outrage with the shooter.

Not sure where I mentioned young people but this problem does seem to affect the young more prevalently than an older demographic. What are the influences that make this generation go this route? Is it lead by example? Is it that they've been raised with more violence in their lives? Violent video games and media? I just want to know what is causing this.
If you watch the news or the happenings in our country, even from afar, you see nothing but hate speak. Saying what you might endorse or believe in, will bring a torrent of high profile attacks at your sheer existence.

80 years on this planet....lived through a lot....never experienced such venom, to the point where I, a news junkie, hides from the latest but you cannot escape it.

I fought for this country and what it stood for and I want that feeling again.

And while I understand your outrage at the shooter, and understand, even you are asking the right question about where this comes from....THAT, to me is the MAJOR contributor
Old 05-31-2019, 07:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post

The current depth of hate and the 'acceptance' of it by a lot of people...needs to stop.
I agree but how do you change something that big? First we need to know how it got that way before we can figure out how to reverse it.

Quote:
And that's not going to happen with just..."thoughts and prayers."

I also believe the easy access to firearms...plays a role in these horrific incidents.
It very well may be. But guns have never really been hard to get. Chicago has some of the toughest gun laws in the country and they had 43 shootings over the Memorial Day weekend. But no outcry about that. As Bucco eluded, we've pretty much become numb to the violence.

Quote:
While I won't speculate as to what type(s) of weapon(s) he used, I would be willing to bet that he brought plenty of ammo (even if it was a handgun)...and he wasn't using a 6-shot revolver that took time to reload.
I agree. It probably wasn't a revolver.

Old 05-31-2019, 07:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
If you watch the news or the happenings in our country, even from afar, you see nothing but hate speak. Saying what you might endorse or believe in, will bring a torrent of high profile attacks at your sheer existence.

80 years on this planet....lived through a lot....never experienced such venom, to the point where I, a news junkie, hides from the latest but you cannot escape it.

And while I understand your outrage at the shooter, and understand, even you are asking the right question about where this comes from....THAT, to me is the MAJOR contributor
Yep, ...COMPLETELY!
Old 05-31-2019, 07:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:

I assume your comment on happenings and the news has to do with what is going on today, but how does that explain the Columbine school shooting in 1999 and all the shootings that have happened between then and now?
Old 05-31-2019, 07:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
I assume your comment on happenings and the news has to do with what is going on today, but how does that explain the Columbine school shooting in 1999 and all the shootings that have happened between then and now?
Was not meant to explain any shooting. I was responding to a question,....direct question, which had nothing to do with school shootings at all.

CONTEXT
Old 05-31-2019, 07:45 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,612 Times in 1,760 Posts

It seems he was a long time utility company employee who went postal.

More shall be revealed but I wonder if there were any early warning indicators or whether he suddenly just flipped out.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-31-2019, 11:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Violent video games and media certainly play a big part, that and the ease of getting a gun. "So easy a caveman could do it"
Oh please. I've been playing violent video and RPG games since Zork when I killed my first grue, and I haven't ever given a moment's thought to owning, let alone using, a firearm.

Millions of people play video games and RPGs and don't go out and kill people. There are also people who kill other people, who don't play violent video games. And you forgot the whole "oh they listen to death metal" rhetoric.

That's stuff and nonsense, propaganda created by the NRA to put the blame on anything except where it belongs: on lack of enforcement of existing gun laws, and gun laws that are not universal, thus allowing anyone to get a gun simply by crossing state lines.
Closed Thread

Tags
police, shooting, beach, virginia, dead

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.