Another Mass Shooting

Closed Thread
Old 06-01-2019, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
Not that it really matters but the weapon used was a .45 handgun..
He also had a rifle (unidentified type as of now), a suppressor and (as predicted)...extended magazines for the .45 cal.

Live: Virginia Beach mass shooting - CNN

Quote:
The weapons: Authorities recovered two guns at the scene believed to be used in the shooting, a rifle and a .45 caliber handgun with extended magazines and a suppressor, the chief said.
Old 06-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobnBev View Post
Violent video games and media certainly play a big part, that and the ease of getting a gun. "So easy a caveman could do it"
We were warned about the violent video games but I’m afraid the ship has already sailed on that issue. Our culture has changed especially in the last 50 years and it has not been for the better. Too much “me” and freedom to act out that “freedom” has become a major violent shooting problem in the Country we all love. There has to be a “middle ground” established in America or we are going to self destruct from within. A House divided will not continue to stand...
Old 06-01-2019, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
We were warned about the violent video games but I’m afraid the ship has already sailed on that issue. Our culture has changed especially in the last 50 years and it has not been for the better. Too much “me” and freedom to act out that “freedom” has become a major violent shooting problem in the Country we all love. There has to be a “middle ground” established in America or we are going to self destruct from within. A House divided will not continue to stand...
My opinion.

This post is symbolic of "kicking the can down the road".

Believing there is too much freedom simply belies the facts.

By the way, news reporting they found further guns at his home,but I am sure they were all for personal protection and sport. I
Old 06-01-2019, 12:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

It took 4 officers and ALL their ammo to stop this one man, who would have killed more. Sounds like Afghanistan, but it is the United States of America
Old 06-01-2019, 12:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,509 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
It is so hard to hear about another mass killing. I don’t blame the guns alone, the man could have used any other method, but the gun he brought certainly helped.

Then there are the victims, completely unanticipated, life suddenly over. Who will look after their families now?
Guns are the weapon of choice for mass killings because they're relatively easy to get, easy to use, ammo is cheap enough, and they can kill a lot of people in a very short amount of time even if you're a lousy shot.

The primary function of a gun is to kill. That is why they exist. Every other function (fun, competition, symbolic, providing a physical visible threat for any reason at all) is secondary.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:01 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,789 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Guns are the weapon of choice for mass killings because they're relatively easy to get, easy to use, ammo is cheap enough, and they can kill a lot of people in a very short amount of time even if you're a lousy shot.

The primary function of a gun is to kill. That is why they exist. Every other function (fun, competition, symbolic, providing a physical visible threat for any reason at all) is secondary.
I believe the perps would use other methods, sadly, if guns were not available. We can not be naive about the intentions of these killers.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post

EXACTLY!
Old 06-01-2019, 01:13 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
I believe the perps would use other methods, sadly, if guns were not available. We can not be naive about the intentions of these killers.
Yes, knifings in England and Wales for example! Ten charts on the rise of knife crime in England and Wales - BBC News

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-01-2019, 01:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Such as?

A sword?

A knife?

A baseball bat?

Grenades?

?????

on the "naiveté" though...just not on the subject you've mentioned.

NOTHING allows killing faster and more effectively...than a firearm.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:23 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Yes, knifings in England and Wales for example! Ten charts on the rise of knife crime in England and Wales - BBC News
Legal gun ownership in Mexico is nearly impossible unless you are connected to the right people. Back in the late 80's I read a report stating that there were more knife homicides in Mexico than homicides from all causes (knife, gun, bludgeon, beating, etc.) in the United States for the same time frame. If a person has the intent to kill they will find something to use to commit the murder.
Old 06-01-2019, 01:31 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Some of the highest homicide rates using guns occur in gun controlled countries. There’s a new global ranking of gun deaths. Here’s where the U.S. stands | PBS NewsHour

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Legal gun ownership in Mexico is nearly impossible unless you are connected to the right people. Back in the late 80's I read a report stating that there were more knife homicides in Mexico than homicides from all causes (knife, gun, bludgeon, beating, etc.) in the United States for the same time frame.

If a person has the intent to kill they will find something to use to commit the murder.

I agree with the underlined above and totally agree/understand that 'murder' will never be completely eradicated, but I think you (and so many others) are totally failing to acknowledge the most important aspect...that being the pure numbers involved with each horrific incident.

One thing is guaranteed however, continuing to do NOTHING...isn't working.

The famous quote, attributed to Einstein, definitely applies here...

Quote:
"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results."
Old 06-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Such as?

A sword?

A knife?

A baseball bat?

Grenades?

?????

Where there's a will there's a way. Yes, guns make it easier to kill. But when guns aren't available, people intent on killing will adapt.

Eighty six people killed by a truck.. Very effectively. 2016 Nice truck attack - Wikipedia

Bombings also seem to be pretty popular in places where guns aren't available.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 06-01-2019, 02:10 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,789 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Such as?

A sword?

A knife?

A baseball bat?

Grenades?

?????

Computers provide total access to so many methods of destruction and many are unaware of the havoc a deluded person can wreak. Surely, the Oklahoma bombings haven’t been forgotten. Chemical/poisoning weapons are not beyond the reach of deluded people. The scary part is, far greater numbers of lives could be lost on those hellbent to harm. Therefore, the “NOTHING” analogy doesn’t carry water.
Old 06-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Computers provide total access to so many methods of destruction and many are unaware of the havoc a deluded person can wreak. Surely, the Oklahoma bombings haven’t been forgotten. Chemical/poisoning weapons are not beyond the reach of deluded people. The scary part is, far greater numbers of lives could be lost on those hellbent to harm. Therefore, the “NOTHING” analogy doesn’t carry water.
OK, point taken on incorrectly using..."NOTHING."

Speaking of the horrific OKC bombing though, at least SOME THINGS were done...to try and prevent another one.

Impact of the Oklahoma City Bombing 20 Years Later | Newseum

So tell us how many things have been done to try and prevent mass murderers...who use firearms and high-capacity magazines?

I'll wait.
Closed Thread

Tags
police, shooting, beach, virginia, dead

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.