Another mass shooting

Closed Thread
Old 08-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Default Another mass shooting

Another mass shooting at a mall in El Paso. Multiple fatalities reported and injured. When is something going to be done?
Old 08-03-2019, 04:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilmacowen View Post
Another mass shooting at a mall in El Paso. Multiple fatalities reported and injured. When is something going to be done?
Anyone know of even conversation taking place about a uniquely American situation ?

Anyone know of any legislation being discussed ?
Old 08-03-2019, 04:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Anyone know of even conversation taking place about a uniquely American situation ?

It's already illegal to murder someone and also illegal to willfully injure a person, so what additional legislation will stop this type of crime?
Old 08-03-2019, 04:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
It's already illegal to murder someone and also illegal to willfully injure a person, so what additional legislation will stop this type of crime?
Well, I see gun and ease of buying as a common denominator,

To be fair, I am not a gun owner, but buying guns sems so easy. and building an arsenal with accessories is becoming common.

It does not happen like this in other countries and thus I suggest maybe just talking about something that, once again, is unique to America. Isn't this the third one this week ?

I just find it offensive to think we simply accept this stuff where our kids and grand kids are gunned down and we stay silent.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:

How do you legislate mental illness? You know it will come out...again, the other common denominator, that the shooter, or it looks like possibly shooters, were and are wackos. I'm not going to say too much anymore on the gun "debate" , it get's nowhere here, and it's never civil.
Steve
Old 08-03-2019, 04:22 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

Quote:
It does not happen like this in other countries and thus I suggest maybe just talking about something that, once again, is unique to America. Isn't this the third one this week ?
Juarez murders reach nearly 200 a month as Mexico’s next president prepares to face the violence | Mexico | Dallas News

I realize it's old news, 2018.

Of the 86 countries where we have identified mass public shootings, the US ranks 56th per capita in its rate of attacks and 61st in mass public shooting murder rate. Norway, Finland, Switzerland and Russia all have at least 45 percent higher rates of murder from mass public shootings than the United States.

From America doesn’t actually lead the world in mass shootings

And as for intentional homicides it just a smidgeon worse in Canada. List of countries by intentional homicide rate - Wikipedia

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 08-03-2019 at 04:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:

To be fair, I am not a gun owner, but buying guns sems so easy. and building an arsenal with accessories is becoming common.

I just find it offensive to think we simply accept this stuff where our kids and grand kids are gunned down and we stay silent.

Yes, it IS too easy for just about anyone to obtain a weapon whether it be by legal or nonlegal methods.

I am not going into gun control, but it would seem that there needs to be some form of it -- a check and balance of some type if you will, or this kind of horror will continue.

And even with some form of control, it would probably be a long time before many of the illegal forms of ownership can be controlled and/or taken off the street.
While I have my own personal thoughts, it's obviously the time is past due for something to be done.

I am not going into the politics of the subject, but there is far too much talk and not enough action (as in none!)!
Old 08-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by anothersteve View Post
How do you legislate mental illness? You know it will come out...again, the other common denominator, that the shooter, or it looks like possibly shooters, were and are wackos. I'm not going to say too much anymore on the gun "debate" , it get's nowhere here, and it's never civil.
Steve
I am a progressive and I agree with the comments that this problem will not be legislated away. This is a cultural problem. There are MANY reasons for this and there is no "silver bullet" that is going to make it go away.

I also think this comment "Mental illness" is closer to the truth that the OP actually meant. I believe it is one of many forms of mental illness to kill anyone that is not a threat to you.

I believe the answer is to first understand the problem, which will require a lot of research, and most sources of data for that research are currently unfunded by the Federal government.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people, many of whom were children, with a rental truck filled with a mixture of fertilizer and diesel. In Europe there have been numerous murders committed with motor vehicles. Mexico makes it nearly impossible for the average citizen to own a gun. Back in the late 80's or 90's I read a report that in Mexico there were more knife homicides than homicides committed in the US by all means, guns, knives, clubs, fits, etc. In Japan a group of people used sarin gas in an attack on the subway system. 12 people were killed and many injured. Restricting gun ownership won't do much to reduce homicide, a person determined to kill will find some means of doing so.
We have a violence problem in this country, not just gun violence. Look at the so-called anti fascists, they assault people with fists, clubs, and iron pipes. A group of these cowards attacked an Asian media reporter and hospitalized him. No guns used, just fists, feet and clubs. Road rage incidents where people run each other off the road. Spouse abuse, child abuse, elder abuse. Verbal abuse and bullying on the social media outlets causing young children to commit suicide. We need to determine the cause of violence and work on eliminating it. Eliminating the tool used in violence does nothing to stop the violent behavior. I'll say it again, WE HAVE A VIOLENCE PROBLEM in this country that no one is talking about.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:53 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

This is only going to get better when sanitariums are reopened or lobotomies performed, sadly.

Anyone believing banning guns will fix the problem must be unaware of knives, bombs, chemical poisoning, arson, poison gases, product tampering, highway death traps and on and on.

Normal people wouldn’t think of it, the mentally ill are obsessed with it. The police can somewhat limit gun violence, other methods could be catastrophic. We need to look at what is our best defense.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:06 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Cowgirl View Post
Yes, it IS too easy for just about anyone to obtain a weapon whether it be by legal or nonlegal methods.

I am not going into gun control, but it would seem that there needs to be some form of it -- a check and balance of some type if you will, or this kind of horror will continue.

And even with some form of control, it would probably be a long time before many of the illegal forms of ownership can be controlled and/or taken off the street.
While I have my own personal thoughts, it's obviously the time is past due for something to be done.

I am not going into the politics of the subject, but there is far too much talk and not enough action (as in none!)!
Have you ever bought a gun? Under federal law you are required to have a background check done when buying a gun from a licensed dealer. In addition Florida has a 3 day waiting period after the background check before you can take possession of the firearm. Federal law prohibits people with felony convictions and people convicted of domestic violence from purchasing, owning or possessing a firearm. Many criminals obtain guns through what is called a straw purchaser. A non-felon friend, girlfriend, wife, etc. will legally purchase the gun for the felon. This is a felony itself but prosecutors very seldom prosecute the straw purchaser. Drugs are illegal but you can buy them in the smallest towns. I heard that there were a couple incidents of drugs houses here in TV. Prohibition was a disaster, there was more alcohol consumption during prohibition than before or after. Organized crime provided a product that people were willing to pay big money for. The same for drugs, crime organizations smuggle drugs into countries and make billions in profit. Make guns illegal and again organized crime will step in and provide what ever the crazies and criminals need to accomplish the deed they wish to commit. As I said earlier, we have a violence problem, lets work on that.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
This is only going to get better when sanitariums are reopened or lobotomies performed, sadly.

Anyone believing banning guns will fix the problem must be unaware of knives, bombs, chemical poisoning, arson, poison gases, product tampering, highway death traps and on and on.

Normal people wouldn’t think of it, the mentally ill are obsessed with it. The police can somewhat limit gun violence, other methods could be catastrophic. We need to look at what is our best defense.
1. I never said to ban guns or even hinted at that. That is a gut reaction to make that accusation from some corners.

2. I was not speaking of murders thus I understand the murder rate. I do not understand the ease in which folks get guns, but I get the impression that simply makes me stupid, so be it.

My main thrust Is that in a few days this conversation will cease. It will not even be spoken of. I simply would feel better if our leaders at least discussed it. We Are quick to jump quickly and rudely on mundane and personal things but seem unequipped to discuss this.

As i said, I have no gun......I know guns.....from Nam, but have no desire to own one.

i just know we are not only killing our young people, we are traumatizing those who "survive"

Your key point...."we need to take a look at..." WHEN IS MY QUESTION ?
Old 08-03-2019, 05:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Timothy McVeigh killed 168 people, many of whom were children, with a rental truck filled with a mixture of fertilizer and diesel. In Europe there have been numerous murders committed with motor vehicles. Mexico makes it nearly impossible for the average citizen to own a gun. Back in the late 80's or 90's I read a report that in Mexico there were more knife homicides than homicides committed in the US by all means, guns, knives, clubs, fits, etc. In Japan a group of people used sarin gas in an attack on the subway system. 12 people were killed and many injured. Restricting gun ownership won't do much to reduce homicide, a person determined to kill will find some means of doing so.
We have a violence problem in this country, not just gun violence. Look at the so-called anti fascists, they assault people with fists, clubs, and iron pipes. A group of these cowards attacked an Asian media reporter and hospitalized him. No guns used, just fists, feet and clubs. Road rage incidents where people run each other off the road. Spouse abuse, child abuse, elder abuse. Verbal abuse and bullying on the social media outlets causing young children to commit suicide. We need to determine the cause of violence and work on eliminating it. Eliminating the tool used in violence does nothing to stop the violent behavior. I'll say it again, WE HAVE A VIOLENCE PROBLEM in this country that no one is talking about.
I agree....we talk about nothing like this in this country. You mention anti fascists in your post......not sure how to reply to that.....are youy PRO fascists ? The FBI just recently warned us all about QAnon, yet they are accepted.

I have a distaste for violence totally and in any form, under any and all names. I have seen what hate and violence can do in the name of what the accolytes proclaim it to be. It is still VIOLENCE, and it ALWAYS perpetuates more violence.
Old 08-03-2019, 05:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Chicago and NYC have some of the toughest gun laws in the USA.

Check and see how well those work!

It ain't the gun!!
Old 08-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Have you ever bought a gun? Under federal law you are required to have a background check done when buying a gun from a licensed dealer. In addition Florida has a 3 day waiting period after the background check before you can take possession of the firearm. Federal law prohibits people with felony convictions and people convicted of domestic violence from purchasing, owning or possessing a firearm. Many criminals obtain guns through what is called a straw purchaser. A non-felon friend, girlfriend, wife, etc. will legally purchase the gun for the felon. This is a felony itself but prosecutors very seldom prosecute the straw purchaser. Drugs are illegal but you can buy them in the smallest towns. I heard that there were a couple incidents of drugs houses here in TV. Prohibition was a disaster, there was more alcohol consumption during prohibition than before or after. Organized crime provided a product that people were willing to pay big money for. The same for drugs, crime organizations smuggle drugs into countries and make billions in profit. Make guns illegal and again organized crime will step in and provide what ever the crazies and criminals need to accomplish the deed they wish to commit. As I said earlier, we have a violence problem, lets work on that.
Now, where the h&%% did you hear that???

Tags
shooting, mass, injured, fatalities, mall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.