Another mass shooting

Closed Thread
Old 08-08-2019, 11:13 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,796 Times in 734 Posts

Last edited by Aces4; 08-09-2019 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trayderjoe View Post
I agree that a broad brush should not be applied, nor did I suggest it. However, where there is a clear criminal history involving crimes against a person (think robbery, assault, etc.) by a juvenile, then that should be considered when that juvenile becomes an adult if they are trying to purchase a firearm. I specifically parsed out the "property" crimes as an example of a "quick" compromise.

Overall, we still have to understand why we have a violence problem, and when someone has such a track record as a juvenile, it should not be expunged or erased from consideration once they become an adult IF they choose to own a firearm in particular.

I wouldn't leave this to politicians to decide the how, clearly the appropriate people need to be identified to put together an appropriate plan.

Will the system be perfect? Probably not, but then again, we do need to do something to keep firearms away from people who should not be in possession of them.
One good thing about the Reno, Nevada mess with the Michelle Mitchell murder and its solution is that the National Judicial College is at the University of Nevada, Reno. Home | The National Judicial College (UNR) Michelle Mitchell lost her life close to the UNR campus on 2-24-1976. She was a 19 year old nursing student and not too far from the nursing school when murdered. Of course, the co-eds were very scared that this killer might return to campus. I got two BAs at the University of Nevada, Reno. (1980, 1981 -- Philosophy/History) Her murder was "solved" in 1979.

Some of my Philosophy and other UNR professors taught classes at the National Judicial College.

The boy who shot me in the left pinky around 1974 with a BB gun went into a mental health treatment program soon after that and is now a very successful Reno businessman. Or looks like it. I did not stay in touch with any of the people from that crowd except for one of their sisters. She was very pretty.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-09-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
One good thing about the Reno, Nevada mess with the Michelle Mitchell murder and its solution is that the National Judicial College is at the University of Nevada, Reno. Home | The National Judicial College (UNR) Michelle Mitchell lost her life close to the UNR campus on 2-24-1976. She was a 19 year old nursing student and not too far from the nursing school when murdered. Of course, the co-eds were very scared that this killer might return to campus. I got two BAs at the University of Nevada, Reno. Her murder was "solved" in 1979.

The boy who shot me in the left pinky around 1974 with a BB gun went into a mental health treatment program soon after that and is now a very successful Reno businessman. Or looks like it.
I was shot in the back by a guy with a BB rifle, when I was in high school. We were at a strip-mall parking lot near the school and I was walking back to class after lunch, he and his buddies were also returning, but a little bit behind me.

I never reported it because these were known bullies, and I knew if I reported it and one of the kids got in trouble, the others in the group would have made the next 3 years of high school a living nightmare.

They weren't mentally ill, and they were legally allowed to own the rifles. No one stopped them, no one called the police when they heard the shot (BB guns aren't silent afterall).

The BB lodged around 1/10th inch deep into the flesh under my shoulderblade. If it had gone two inches to the left I would have suffered permanent spinal damage.

He was aiming for my buttocks.

Fast forward to my early marriage years, when I was in my 30's. Beloved spouse had a BB gun but kept it in storage in the condo basement, which was a shared space under the building, each unit separated by chicken-wire walls.

Some kid from the next building broke into the cellar, broke into our unit, and stole the BB gun. He then proceded to go up the hill to another building, and shot through the screen window of a neighbor. The neighbor's infant child was sitting in a high chair at the table near the window.

I do not, have never, and never will approve of guns, for anyone, for any reason. But I acknowledge and appreciate that they are a necessary part of law enforcement and military. I also acknowledge that - especially in today's mess of a society, people need to maintain their right to own and carry guns to protect themselves against a tyrannical government (which is what the 2nd Amendment was written to do in the first place).
Old 08-09-2019, 10:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I was shot in the back by a guy with a BB rifle, when I was in high school. We were at a strip-mall parking lot near the school and I was walking back to class after lunch, he and his buddies were also returning, but a little bit behind me.

I never reported it because these were known bullies, and I knew if I reported it and one of the kids got in trouble, the others in the group would have made the next 3 years of high school a living nightmare.

They weren't mentally ill, and they were legally allowed to own the rifles. No one stopped them, no one called the police when they heard the shot (BB guns aren't silent afterall).

The BB lodged around 1/10th inch deep into the flesh under my shoulderblade. If it had gone two inches to the left I would have suffered permanent spinal damage.

He was aiming for my buttocks.

Fast forward to my early marriage years, when I was in my 30's. Beloved spouse had a BB gun but kept it in storage in the condo basement, which was a shared space under the building, each unit separated by chicken-wire walls.

Some kid from the next building broke into the cellar, broke into our unit, and stole the BB gun. He then proceded to go up the hill to another building, and shot through the screen window of a neighbor. The neighbor's infant child was sitting in a high chair at the table near the window.

I do not, have never, and never will approve of guns, for anyone, for any reason. But I acknowledge and appreciate that they are a necessary part of law enforcement and military. I also acknowledge that - especially in today's mess of a society, people need to maintain their right to own and carry guns to protect themselves against a tyrannical government (which is what the 2nd Amendment was written to do in the first place).
I get the 2nd Amendment and its well regulated militia. The Founding Fathers studied Roman and English history and knew what could happen under a bad king, emperor or demagogue. They also put a lot of checks-and-balances impacting the armed forces so that an Emperor, King or demagogue in the USA could not get control of the military like what would happen often in the Roman Empire. One year the Roman Empire had four Emperors and each had his own army. Another had five Emperors. And one six. Year of the Four Emperors - Wikipedia Year of the Five Emperors - Wikipedia
Year of the Six Emperors - Wikipedia

But a group of private citizens taking on the US military in 2019 is very hard to believe. Could have happened in the 1790s I suppose and maybe up through the 1890s but after the machine gun and tank and other even more horrible weapons were made widely used by the military....

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-09-2019 at 11:25 AM.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I get the 2nd Amendment and its well regulated militia. The Founding Fathers studied Roman and English history and knew what could happen under a bad king, emperor or demagogue. They also put a lot of checks-and-balances impacting the armed forces so that an Emperor, King or demagogue in the USA could not get control of the military like what would happen often in the Roman Empire. One year the Roman Empire had four Emperors and each had his own army. Another had five Emperors. And one six. Year of the Four Emperors - Wikipedia Year of the Five Emperors - Wikipedia
Year of the Six Emperors - Wikipedia

But a group of private citizens taking on the US military in 2019 is very hard to believe. Could have happened in the 1790s I suppose and maybe up through the 1890s but after the machine gun and tank and other even more horrible weapons were made widely used by the military....
It happened in Germany, Poland, and several other countries between 1939 and 1942. Don't think it can't happen, just because your idea of government military must always, and exclusively, involve tanks and missiles.

The government military can also include foot-soldiers with handguns and rifles, marching through your town and knocking on your door.

Government military can be, has proven to be in the past, and in some places in the world still is, much more nefarious than that.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:37 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
It happened in Germany, Poland, and several other countries between 1939 and 1942. Don't think it can't happen, just because your idea of government military must always, and exclusively, involve tanks and missiles.

The government military can also include foot-soldiers with handguns and rifles, marching through your town and knocking on your door.

Government military can be, has proven to be in the past, and in some places in the world still is, much more nefarious than that.
True in lots of parts of the world.

I kind of have a high opinion of the US military because of some of the people I have met over the years and how they often will stand up against those who thwart the rule of law and the US Constitution.

There were good German military in WWII who stood up to Hitler and almost won except for fate in one of the various assassination attempts on Hitler who was a rather mentally ill demagogue who just hit Germany with his despicable ideas at just the wrong time (for Germany and the rest of the world). They moved the meeting place of Hitler's conference because of heat. If not for that he probably would have died along with many of his most prominent followers. 20 July plot - Wikipedia How Close Was Operation Valkyrie to Success? | History Hit

The 2nd Amendment did seem to plan for these kind of people resisting tyrants.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-09-2019 at 12:49 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
shooting, mass, injured, fatalities, mall

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.