Another scam robocall?

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2017, 10:21 AM
Default Another scam robocall?

We received a robocall last evening from someone claiming to be from the "Marriott Rewards Friends and Family Discount program" telling us we had been selected for a "complimentary stay". I've been a Marriott rewards member for 30 years, and there is such a program, but you need a form signed by a Marriott manager to get the employee rate at a hotel. We did not answer the phone, so I don't know what would have happened if I had selected one of their choices, but I'm guessing it wouldn't have been good.

The phone number the call came from was a number for a legitimate business in Belleview, so I think the number was spoofed.

Be careful out there............
Old 06-16-2017, 12:29 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

We get calls from spoofed numbers constantly, to the point where if we don't recognize the number we either decline the call (on our cell phone) or let the answering machine pick up (house phone). No one ever leaves a message; go figure. At first we blocked the numbers until we realized the numbers were being spoofed. If you don't answer, they just move on to the next spoofed number. Some people on TOTV have suggested Nomorobo or other options, but we haven't gotten to that point yet. Until the Feds can figure out how to prevent this from happening, I figure we will just have to put up with it.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

The Fed's can easily fix the problem. But, they don't want to fix it.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Sage

Nomorobo works like a charm. I don't even have to get up as after one ring, the call is diverted. If the phone rings more than once, it is a real business but I still look at the number to see if I recognize who's calling.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 06-16-2017, 03:12 PM

I just ignore/decline all those random numbers from different areas that I never been to, to be honest.
Old 06-22-2017, 01:59 PM

I get those calls all the time. It is truly a scam - ignore it. Every time I get one I block the number.
Old 06-22-2017, 02:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post
We received a robocall last evening from someone claiming to be from the "Marriott Rewards Friends and Family Discount program" telling us we had been selected for a "complimentary stay". I've been a Marriott rewards member for 30 years, and there is such a program, but you need a form signed by a Marriott manager to get the employee rate at a hotel. We did not answer the phone, so I don't know what would have happened if I had selected one of their choices, but I'm guessing it wouldn't have been good.

The phone number the call came from was a number for a legitimate business in Belleview, so I think the number was spoofed.

I agree that it is a scam. But, why do you call it a "robocall"? How do you know how the call was made?
Old 06-22-2017, 03:01 PM

Download call control from your app store. Takes about a week after install and no more robocalls. Phone doesn't even ring.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,121 Times in 2,237 Posts

Just got the 3rd and 4th IRS call............
Old 06-22-2017, 05:37 PM
Platinum member
Smile Not all robocalls are scams.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree that it is a scam. But, why do you call it a "robocall"? How do you know how the call was made?
The primary ways to detect a robocall are:

1. When you say "hello" there is a lengthy pause before the message starts.

2. It's a robocall when the message is clearly a recording where you are invited to "press" different numbers for different options. The original poster indicated he was given an opportunity to press buttons during the call.

3. After a pause following when you say "hello" the connection is ended by the calling number. I don't really understand this phenomenon, but I'm told that some companies pay other companies to determine what time of day phones are answered, to facilitate their own robocalls being answered.

4. Some robocalls even tell you that you need to press a particular button to be connected to "a representative."

5. A robocall is not necessarily a scam. My church uses robocalls to people who have agreed to receive them, to convey information that is of interest to particular demographics. I have agreed to accept robocalls of interest to old/retired people.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:53 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Hang Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post

I, too, have gotten calls from the Marriott robocaller.

In my long experience in receiving offers of "complimentary stays," this is always an opportunity to make a purchase in some variation of a time share condo.

They have shifted from a specific date, in a specific unit, in a specific building, to "credits" which can be used at many different locations, or for taxi rides, or for cruises, or for taxi fares, or car rentals, or a multitude of other things, but in the final analysis they want your money.

I used to be courteous in declining. I now just hang up on them.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:47 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Just got the 3rd and 4th IRS call............
My wife got one of those yesterday from an Orlando number
Old 06-22-2017, 11:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
My wife got one of those yesterday from an Orlando number
Did they want her to go to the bank to get "vouchers"??? Apparently this is the African word for checks, and many of these scams are run from Nigeria. I like to play along with the IRS call and then identify myself as a secret service agent

But seriously, EVERYONE should know the IRS DOES NOT CALL YOU---snail mail only.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:24 AM
Eternal Member

One more time!

Download "nomorobo.com" free for your landlines. It works with Comcast. I have eard it does not work with Spectrum.

One ring from a robocaller and it automatically disconnects the call.

As it happens frequently to a robocaller, your number is dropped from their list.

My robocalls are almost all gone.
Old 06-23-2017, 02:56 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvgolf View Post
I get those calls all the time. It is truly a scam - ignore it. Every time I get one I block the number.
Are you saying that I didn`t really win the Irish Lottery ?
Closed Thread

Tags
number, marriott, phone, program, selected

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.