Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61

Closed Thread
Old 06-08-2018, 06:55 AM
Platinum member
Default Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61

CNN's Anthony Bourdain, famous chef and world traveler was found dead in his room while on location for an episode of the award winning show Parts Unknown.

Bourdain was in France working on an upcoming episode of his award-winning CNN series "Parts Unknown." His close friend Eric Ripert, the French chef, found Bourdain unresponsive in his hotel room Friday morning

I always enjoyed his shows. So sad.

Anthony Bourdain, chef-turned-TV host, dies at 61: Reports
Old 06-08-2018, 07:10 AM
Platinum member

CNN is reporting that Bourdain's death was definitely a suicide. He leaves behind an 11 year old daughter.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:24 AM
Default Don't know where to put this

Anthony Bourdain just committed suicide. Wow.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I am so sad about this. When he was on Food Network doing A Cook's Tour, our company closed-captioned every single one of his shows, and later when we did captioning for Travel Channel. He was my culinary idol, and did so much for people on the fringe. I was so glad when he cleaned himself up, got married again, had a daughter & quit smoking because of her.

Two famous, wildly successful people in three days. You think some people have it made, but you never know what demons they may be suffering. I'm so sorry for both them and their families.
Old 06-08-2018, 07:51 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Totally sad to hear. I found it hard to believe when I learned of his death. He was a great story teller. I enjoyed his shows and read a copy of his book " Kitchen Confidential". The man faced many demons in his life some of which he conquered but one never really knows what others are facing day to day. Prayers to his family.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Terrible loss to me - I loved his show and made sure I watched every episode I could. I would never have eaten some of the food he ate in these different countries, but I loved his philosophy on life. Great loss.

The report states that he was found hanged in his hotel room in France. I cannot imagine breaking into a hotel room to find something like that, there are multiple ways to kill oneself, but hanging ......................

I am sure there will be more written about this.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-08-2018, 08:05 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Sadly, he had some serious substance abuse issues.

Bourdain had been known for being an unrepentant drinker and smoker. In a nod to Bourdain's (at the time) two-pack-a-day cigarette habit, renowned chef Thomas Keller once served him a 20-course tasting menu which included a mid-meal "coffee and cigarette": a coffee custard infused with tobacco, together with a foie gras mousse.[84] Bourdain stopped cigarette smoking in the summer of 2007 because of the birth of his daughter.[85] He is also a former user of cocaine, heroin, and LSD. In Kitchen Confidential he wrote of his experience in a trendy SoHo restaurant in 1981: "We were high all the time, sneaking off to the walk-in refrigerator at every opportunity to 'conceptualize.' Hardly a decision was made without drugs. Cannabis, methaqualone, cocaine, LSD, psilocybin mushrooms soaked in honey and used to sweeten tea, secobarbital, tuinal, amphetamine, codeine and, increasingly, heroin, which we'd send a Spanish-speaking busboy over to Alphabet City to get."[86] In the same book, Bourdain frankly described his former addiction, including how he once resorted to selling his record collection on the street in order to raise enough money to purchase drugs.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 06-08-2018 at 08:14 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:39 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Really sad. He was so successful. Why?
Old 06-08-2018, 01:02 PM
Sage

I heard this on the TV so I may get things wrong. At 47 he was working in a kitchen just making ends meet, not a famous chef. He writes a book that tells what goes on in a kitchen. It takes off and 14 years later was doing quite well. Forget the wealth, he must have had many, many friends he could talk to. Why?
Old 06-08-2018, 01:09 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Suicide is a common end for drug and/or alcohol addicted people.

Suicide: One of Addiction’s Hidden Risks | Psychology Today

Addiction and Suicide - AddictionCenter

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 06-08-2018, 01:12 PM

I really like his books. He gave you the insider feel similar to Ruth Reichel. In his last one that came out a few years back, he writes a whole chapter on the guy who is in charge of cutting all the fish up at Le Bernardin every morning. Book is worth it just for that chapter. Fascinating. 100s of pounds of the worlds best seafood and he can't leave nary a bone even one time.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:19 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Good article in Psychology Today.

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 06-08-2018, 04:02 PM
Sage

I just read extracts from the last interview he gave where he said he was probably the happiest he has ever been, had a new lady, loved his daughter dearly and was writing a book with her ............ and then went on to say something about ending it all when you are at the top of your game and several other odd comments. Very strange.

I am sure his ex wife will get help for the daughter, she is going to need it. 11 yrs old and having to deal with this.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 06-08-2018, 07:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

So incredibly sad to hear of his death. We really enjoyed watching his shows from places we know we would never travel to and his eating food we knew we would never eat.
Old 06-09-2018, 05:59 AM
Sage

I watched the hour long tribute to him last night on CNN. It was very moving, he was so much alive, so tall, big, healthy looking man and to think he ended it all like that. How very sad. One of the commentators who knew him well said he was the man all men want to be and all women want to be with!

He had an amazing and rare talent to be able to communicate in a seemingly very genuine way with people of all walks of life. The episode he did in the hills of Virginia was such an insight into how people from different areas think and live.

Such a loss.

Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.