RIP Clarence

Closed Thread
Old 06-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default RIP Clarence

May his sax bring joy to those in heaven as it did on earth.

I liked seeing Bruce Springsteen, but, for me, the main attraction was Clarence Clemons. As an added treat was the fact that whenever they played in the Bay Area, Clarence would head over to Slim's to jam with whomever was playing there. Guaranteed I was at Slim's whenever the Boss was in town. Once, it was sheer bliss -- John Mayal and his band with Clarence on sax. To here Mayal on his harmonica and Clemons on his sax jammin was beyond words.

May his music live with us forever.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 AM
Sage

Yes, RIP Big Man!
Old 06-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

I have to admit that I would have know who Clarence Clemons was, but when I heard about his death I also heard a sample of his playing with the report. I haven't hear much of his work, but I did experience the playing of a member of BLAST not too many years ago and between Clarence and the BLAST player I don't think I've ever heard a more impressive playing of a musical instrument (with piano being a close second) than I heard with those two.

Shortly after hearing the report I took out my old King tenor sax, after more years than I care to remember, to see how I do today. What I learned was that I remembered my fingering, but that I'm not the same old bag of hot air I used to be and put the insturment right back in it's case just as fast as I took it out!

Rest in peace Clarence!
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Old 06-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

The Big Man is gone but won't be forgotten by anyone who's ever heard him wail on that sax. God bless and take care of Mr. Clemons. The big band in heaven just got a bit better.

Clarence's solo from Jungleland is linked.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYfVz-w32Os[/ame]
Old 06-19-2011, 08:31 PM
Veteran member

Nothing says rock and roll like a great sax, and he was one of the best ever.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.