Anybody familiar with Pawleys Island, SC?

Closed Thread
Old 05-13-2018, 09:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Thank you!

From what you wrote it seems PI or another similarly quiet area outside MB would be the way to go. They are truly tired of living amongst tourists, especially the hard partying kind.

They resided in a 55 and over community in Southern California for nine years just prior to moving to HI, enjoying the relative peacefulness of that community. Since they have traveled the world, literally, they are familiar with spending time in hot, humid climates. Where they live now in HI it is hot and humid at times but then the Trade Winds kick in. Being in a coastal community is important to them. I agree they should rent for a couple months at least which I imagine they want to do.
I think the Pawleys Island, Litchfield by the Sea area might be to their liking. Several "plantations" there including Pawleys Plantation and Willbrook where there are very nice homes and neighborhoods. I looked on Google maps and there is a small marina in Willbrook Plantation called Reserve Harbor Yacht Club. And there may be more. One more thing, Murrells Inlet is great for dining out and departing the marina for sailing, but it is usually busy, alot of tourists at times, and a couple of biker bars. Probably not where they would like to live, but nice to have close by.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:54 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,611 Times in 1,760 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagboy View Post
I think the Pawleys Island, Litchfield by the Sea area might be to their liking. Several "plantations" there including Pawleys Plantation and Willbrook where there are very nice homes and neighborhoods. I looked on Google maps and there is a small marina in Willbrook Plantation called Reserve Harbor Yacht Club. And there may be more. One more thing, Murrells Inlet is great for dining out and departing the marina for sailing, but it is usually busy, alot of tourists at times, and a couple of biker bars. Probably not where they would like to live, but nice to have close by.
Good info. Thanks. So far they have looked at Heritage Plantation (only on the internet, of course) which has a marina. I will let them know of these others. They are not golfers.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-13-2018, 11:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I lived in Savannah most of the 80's and traveled to Hilton a couple of times, it seemed to be more residential and not much going on. I think at that time they only had 7 golf courses, it's probably grown a lot but I would guess it's still laid back. If you like that low country housing and desire a bigger city, look in Savannah at Skiddaway Island or if you want near the beaches and an older more established neighborhood, look at Wilmington Island.

In 1998 I was considering a move from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach and we made 3 one week trips. Myrtle Beach midtown in the winter, Pawleys Island in the spring and Little River in the summer. Overall I liked North Myrtle Beach at the time. It had a quaint small town flavor, nice little library, new homes were actually bungalow style and they had a new Walmart that was the nicest one I've been in, I found products there like an old tyme fan that I've never seen at any other Walmart. North Myrtle Beach is near everything as far as activities and beaches.

The Pawleys Island was my least favorite, kind of a sleepy little South Carolina town. I even drove 5 miles further south across the bridge into Georgetown and it might of been 100 miles inland, you would of never known you were near Myrtle Beach.

I found the area around the airport to have a lot of housing with golf courses in my price range at the time. We looked at dozens of new homes, and we found a new 3 BR 2 BA masonry rancher on the golf course fairway for $150K in a new subdivision off Dick Pond Rd. Very near everything and yet secluded. I just looked at Zillow and in that subdivision right now there is not one home for sale, and yet all around the other areas are full of resales. I looked at the street view and the place looked immaculate and grown up, very nice community.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I lived in Savannah most of the 80's and traveled to Hilton a couple of times, it seemed to be more residential and not much going on. I think at that time they only had 7 golf courses, it's probably grown a lot but I would guess it's still laid back. If you like that low country housing and desire a bigger city, look in Savannah at Skiddaway Island or if you want near the beaches and an older more established neighborhood, look at Wilmington Island.

In 1998 I was considering a move from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach and we made 3 one week trips. Myrtle Beach midtown in the winter, Pawleys Island in the spring and Little River in the summer. Overall I liked North Myrtle Beach at the time. It had a quint small town flavor, nice little library, new homes were actually bungalow style and they had a new Walmart that was the nicest one I've been in, I found products there like an old tyme fan that I've never seen at any other Walmart.

The Pawleys Island was my least favorite, kind of a sleepy little South Carolina town. I even drove 5 miles further south across the bridge into Georgetown and it might of been 100 miles inland, you would of never known you were near Myrtle Beach.

I found the area around the airport to have a lot of housing with golf courses in my price range at the time. We looked at dozens of new homes, and we found a new 3 BR 2 BA masonry rancher on the golf course fairway for $150K in a new subdivision off Dick Pond Rd. Very near everything and yet secluded. I just looked at Zillow and in that subdivision right now there is not one home for sale, and yet all around the other areas are full of resales. I looked at the street view and the place looked immaculate and grown up, very nice community.
Thank you John W. I will pass this info on.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-13-2018, 01:46 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

In 1998 I was considering a move from Baltimore to Myrtle Beach and we made 3 one week trips. Myrtle Beach midtown in the winter, Pawleys Island in the spring and Little River in the summer. Overall I liked North Myrtle Beach at the time. It had a quaint small town flavor, nice little library, new homes were actually bungalow style and they had a new Walmart that was the nicest one I've been in, I found products there like an old tyme fan that I've never seen at any other Walmart. North Myrtle Beach is near everything as far as activities and beaches.

The Myrtle Beach area has grown tremendously over the last 25 years. North Myrtle Beach still gives you a small town vibe, especially along Main St. and up in Cherry Grove. Little River is still quaint, with several affordable communities and a few golf course communities. Traffic is usually okay here, even during tourist season, except for the dinner hour.
The subdivision you mentioned off Dick Pond Rd. is most likely Southwood. It in itself is very nice, but a couple of big negatives. Dick Pond Rd. is also Hwy 544. On Saturdays spring, summer especially, and fall it is the main drag for tourists going to Ocean Lakes and Pirate land camping parks. And adjacent to Southwood is Deer Track, a former golf course community which is ready to undergo a major construction boom. So, like anywhere, it pays to visit, stay as long as you can, and seek out the locals for info.
Old 05-14-2018, 07:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool Opinion

We have spent considerable time on PI's and MB and lived 12 years on the beach in Florida (e.g.Jensen Beach). The first thing I think they should consider is the threat of hurricanes for a few months. That does not go away and if it hits you are in for a bad couple of years rebuilding. The second when it comes to PI and MB although they are fine in the Spring and Fall, somewhat warm in the summer but in the winter months you get about 2-4 good days
and the other's are chilly and can be rainy. The net is it is very risky to buy on the coast as you are putting yourself in harms way. The beach (e.g. Jensen Beach) is great in Florida which is generally all beaches in Fla but they are very open to Hurricanes and bad storms. Thus, The Villages which is best choice if someone wants warm temp winter and summer, pretty much safe from the main damages from hurricanes and God forbid much to do. Good Luck in the search for a good place to settle.

Last edited by PennBF; 05-14-2018 at 08:06 AM.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:25 AM
Sage

Thank you, PennBF. I concur with you and have sent them info on TV including a wonderful promotional video made by the developer. It will be interesting to see what they decide to do. The Vog has been terrible where they live the last few days. They really want to move elsewhere.

Closed Thread

Tags
island, pawleys, beach, area, attractive

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.