ANYBODY INTERESTED IN THE ARTS -- OPERA/PLAYS/SYMPHONY??

Closed Thread
Old 12-26-2007, 07:06 PM
nedla
Default ANYBODY INTERESTED IN THE ARTS -- OPERA/PLAYS/SYMPHONY??

I haven't seen anything on the Arts so I thought I'd put up a post to see if anyone has any interest in sharing their favorites, experiences, places.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Default Re: ANYBODY INTERESTED IN THE ARTS -- OPERA/PLAYS/SYMPHONY??

have you checked the rec news insert in the thursday daily sun there are various theater and/or music groups that meet monthly in tv.
Old 12-27-2007, 11:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

I'm not a big opera fan -- mezzo-sopranos actually cause physical pain on the high notes, but I love the symphony and ballet. Ditto plays.

Guess one of my favorite stories is around Cats and London. As a Christmas gift, my then boy friend had given me a ticket to anywhere that TWA flew with the proviso I meet him in Paris in January (he was to be there for business).

We were going to go to Chaminoix to ski but there was a blizzard in the Alps so we decided to hop over to London instead. Got there, got a room in the Russell Hotel. The lobby was beautiful -- a chandelier larger than a villa here. Lots of oak and brass. Then, we got to our room -- old, faded rugs; chenille bedspread with half the chenille missing and a moldy smell; the shower wasn't fit for human use; the sink was barely better. Thank goodness we were there only for one night. So, off we go to explore London. Pass a ticket booth, stop and ask for Cats tiks. No problem -- get 2 seats third row at half price no less! Off to see Cats that evening.

So, we're sitting there like good American tourists. All of a sudden, they did "Up Past the Russell Hotel." That was it! I had my head buried in my lap for the rest of the play laughing my rear off -- I sooooo wished we could go up past the Russell Hotel.

To this day, I can't hear even one line of Cats without cracking up.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 PM

I love opera and when we lived in Tokyo, La Scala di Milano came to perform Nabucco, and Turandot. This was in the late 80's so I am not sure how things work there now but in my day when film companies and theater companies came to Japan they hired Western foreigners living there to fill in as extras. I did a couple of Japanese movies but when La Scala came and called for extras, a group of us from my office went down and auditioned. I now consider one of the highlights of my life to have "performed" with La Scala. Not really a performance, I was a Hebrew slave in Nabucco and spent my time on stage being herded around by people with swords and huddling with other slaves to avoid being herded. But at the end of the first act, when the audience gave a standing ovation, I beamed (standing way behind all the tenors, sopranos, etc.) as if I were Beverley Sills.
Barbara
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:30 PM

I LOVE the arts, theatre, dance, music, all of it...not alot of it in Florida, though south Florida has the Kravis Center, I saw alot of wonderful shows there................I have a background in dance and the applause always stays with you :joke:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.