Anybody Relate?

Closed Thread
Old 06-30-2019, 02:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,465 Times in 3,090 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Coming originally from a country where brain washing was the norm, I don’t appreciate manipulation. No Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc for me. If I am interested in one of them but do not want tracking I use VPN.
I like keeping in touch with my family and friends all over the globe. I have friends in India and Germany, friends in three different provinces of Canada, friends in almost two dozens states in the USA, a friend in Alaska, two in Pakistan, one in Japan, and one stationed somewhere unknown but who has "secret VPN access." Facebook is how we can all communicate with each other. On cell phones it's Messenger (which is really just the private-messaging service of Facebook).

Most of us have adblock or adblock plus, and various firewalls and other assorted software and hardware on our devices. I never see ads on Facebook.

Also Facebook has changed monumentally since 2008. That was 11 years ago. They've undergone significant changes especially with regards to security. Your personal information is only shared if you make a conscious decision to share it (by setting access to PUBLIC or by actually typing your phone number into a post and publishing it, which is a pretty dumb thing to do).

It still can be tightened and better controlled, but the likelihood that a random advertisement with YOUR photo on it to show up on anyone's facebook page is extremely unlikely, at the absolute worst. Impossible at best.
Old 06-30-2019, 02:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

I understand the value and the reach of Facebook. Fortunately, I’m able to use FaceTime with friends and family and I’m constantly arguing with Apple as to the data they would like to collect. But I bit the bullet on that one.
Not everybody has access to FaceTime and they might to Facebook.
Personally, I tend to be a very open person, as for example, here at TOTV. But when it comes to social media in general I simply don’t trust them.
Boomer, me too.
- Velvetarous
Old 06-30-2019, 02:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
I like keeping in touch with my family and friends all over the globe. I have friends in India and Germany, friends in three different provinces of Canada, friends in almost two dozens states in the USA, a friend in Alaska, two in Pakistan, one in Japan, and one stationed somewhere unknown but who has "secret VPN access." Facebook is how we can all communicate with each other. On cell phones it's Messenger (which is really just the private-messaging service of Facebook).

Most of us have adblock or adblock plus, and various firewalls and other assorted software and hardware on our devices. I never see ads on Facebook.

Also Facebook has changed monumentally since 2008. That was 11 years ago. They've undergone significant changes especially with regards to security. Your personal information is only shared if you make a conscious decision to share it (by setting access to PUBLIC or by actually typing your phone number into a post and publishing it, which is a pretty dumb thing to do).

It still can be tightened and better controlled, but the likelihood that a random advertisement with YOUR photo on it to show up on anyone's facebook page is extremely unlikely, at the absolute worst. Impossible at best.
I love Facebook as it is a perfect platform for my various Projects but can understand why some have problems with it.

I have to be able to communicate in many different ways with a wide number of people all over the world and the various controls I have on Facebook for the audiences I want to reach are very useful.

They do still seem to have a problem with people/posters whom I am not sure are real people or not.
Closed Thread

Tags
relate

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.