Anybody watching 1883, the prequel to Yellowstone?

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2022, 06:15 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Anybody watching 1883, the prequel to Yellowstone?

We watched the first episode of 1883 last night.

It did not hook me right away, but I have always wondered about people who decided to go West so I kept watching. (I sure as heck would never have done that just because some man thought it was a good idea.)

Besides, I had to see if Sam Elliott’s still got it at 77.

Anyway, it’s getting interesting, except I think the young woman who plays Elsa Dutton over-acts a bit. I’ll get used to it.

There was a scene where Sam Elliott is instructing the Germans he is getting ready to lead in a wagon train. The poor Germans are completely out of their element. They don’t know anything about what they’re going to face.

First, Sam shows them a stuffed rattlesnake and tells them to watch out for those things because you can die if they bite you.

Then, he holds up a handful of oak leaves — just plain oak leaves — and tells them that it’s poison oak and poison ivy and to never touch it because it could make you wish you were dead. (We backed up to make sure we had seen those leaves right. We were right.)

Geez. Where was the producer or writer or director or whoever it is who is supposed to take care of that kind of stuff.

Also, I am crushed because Sam Elliott, rugged outdoor type, does not know oak tree leaves when he sees them and made all those Germans either really confused or terrified of oak trees.

Detail-geared Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 01-07-2022 at 06:34 PM.
Old 01-07-2022, 06:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post

It did not hook me right away, but I have always wondered about people who decided to go West so I kept watching. (I sure as heck would never have done that just because some man thought it was a good idea.)

Anyway, it’s getting interesting, except I think the young woman who plays Elsa Dutton over-acts a bit. I’ll get used to it.

There was a scene where Sam Elliott is instructing the Germans he is getting ready to lead in a wagon train. The poor Germans are completely out of their element. They don’t know anything about what they’re going to face.

First, Sam shows them a stuffed rattlesnake and tells them to watch out for those things because you can die if they bite you.

Then, he holds up a handful of oak leaves — just plain oak leaves — and tells them that it’s poison oak and poison ivy and to never touch it because it could make you wish you were dead. (We backed up to make sure we had seen those leaves right. We were right.)

Geez. Where was the producer or writer or director or whoever it is who is supposed to take care of that kind of stuff.

Also, I am crushed because Sam Elliot, rugged outdoor type, does not know oak tree leaves when he sees them and made all those Germans either really confused or terrified of oak trees.

Detail-geared Boomerang
Maybe they didn't want their star to catch poison ivy or poison oak?

-Tom Petty
Old 01-07-2022, 06:28 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
Maybe they didn't want their star to catch poison ivy or poison oak?

Well, yeah, Mintz, but they coulda faked it.

“Gonna take an ocean (bomp de bomp de bomp) of calamine lotion. . .

Well, here we go again. Now, I can’t un-hear that song.

Boomer
Old 01-07-2022, 06:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Meh. Forget the oak leaves. Sam still has it, doesn’t he? :- )
Old 01-07-2022, 06:41 PM
Soaring Parsley

Damn. My iPad is out to get me.

It called me Boomerang at the bottom of that first post. I know I typed Boomer, not Boomerang. I fixed it.

Maybe my iPad is watching out for me and thinks I am spending too much time coming back and posting.

Watching out for me or being sarcastic because it wants me to shut up so it can shut down for the evening?

Boomer
Old 01-07-2022, 06:43 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
Meh. Forget the oak leaves. Sam still has it, doesn’t he? :- )
Yes. But I still would not get in a wagon train, not even with him.

Boomer
Old 01-07-2022, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,295 Posts

Quote:
Well, yeah, Mintz, but they coulda faked it.

“Gonna take an ocean (bomp de bomp de bomp) of calamine lotion. . .

Well, here we go again. Now, I can’t un-hear that song.

Boomer
Well, yeah, Boom, but I guess they didn't think their audience was a bunch of "botany nerds"...

Oh, btw... I also commented to the boss that "He's not holding poison ivy"...

- Fellow Botany Nerd...

-Tom Petty
Old 01-08-2022, 06:11 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:

Also, I am crushed because Sam Elliott, rugged outdoor type, does not know oak tree leaves when he sees them and made all those Germans either really confused or terrified of oak trees.

Detail-geared Boomer
My wife says we're not supposed to catch those gaffs...
Old 01-08-2022, 06:44 AM

If anyone sprung for Paramount Plus and wants company watching 1883 let us know…..lol.
Old 01-08-2022, 07:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
we watched the first episode of 1883 last night.

It did not hook me right away, but i have always wondered about people who decided to go west so i kept watching. (i sure as heck would never have done that just because some man thought it was a good idea.)

besides, i had to see if sam elliott’s still got it at 77.

Anyway, it’s getting interesting, except i think the young woman who plays elsa dutton over-acts a bit. I’ll get used to it.

There was a scene where sam elliott is instructing the germans he is getting ready to lead in a wagon train. The poor germans are completely out of their element. They don’t know anything about what they’re going to face.

First, sam shows them a stuffed rattlesnake and tells them to watch out for those things because you can die if they bite you.

Then, he holds up a handful of oak leaves — just plain oak leaves — and tells them that it’s poison oak and poison ivy and to never touch it because it could make you wish you were dead. (we backed up to make sure we had seen those leaves right. We were right.)

geez. Where was the producer or writer or director or whoever it is who is supposed to take care of that kind of stuff.

Also, i am crushed because sam elliott, rugged outdoor type, does not know oak tree leaves when he sees them and made all those germans either really confused or terrified of oak trees.

Detail-geared boomer
deadwood my all time favorite.
Timothy olylphant
ian mcshane
molly parker
powers boothe
keith carradine
and an ensemble cast of present day stars to scratch that saddle itch
Old 01-08-2022, 07:22 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer View Post
we watched the first episode of 1883 last night.

It did not hook me right away, but i have always wondered about people who decided to go west so i kept watching. (i sure as heck would never have done that just because some man thought it was a good idea.)

besides, i had to see if sam elliott’s still got it at 77.

Anyway, it’s getting interesting, except i think the young woman who plays elsa dutton over-acts a bit. I’ll get used to it.

There was a scene where sam elliott is instructing the germans he is getting ready to lead in a wagon train. The poor germans are completely out of their element. They don’t know anything about what they’re going to face.

First, sam shows them a stuffed rattlesnake and tells them to watch out for those things because you can die if they bite you.

Then, he holds up a handful of oak leaves — just plain oak leaves — and tells them that it’s poison oak and poison ivy and to never touch it because it could make you wish you were dead. (we backed up to make sure we had seen those leaves right. We were right.)

geez. Where was the producer or writer or director or whoever it is who is supposed to take care of that kind of stuff.

Also, i am crushed because sam elliott, rugged outdoor type, does not know oak tree leaves when he sees them and made all those germans either really confused or terrified of oak trees.

Detail-geared boomer
i see all the circling wagons i need to in our villages circles. Some are driven just like a wagon hitched to a team of horses. *****s
Old 01-08-2022, 08:54 AM

Quote:

Detail-geared Boomer
If you are going to be "nitpicking", I suggest you not watch anymore of the series. I've watched the first three episodes and have enjoyed the acting and historical context.
Old 01-08-2022, 09:03 AM
Gold member

I took Prime Video's $.99 per month intro deal for Paramount+, just so we could watch 1883. So far it's pretty boring to us. The young girl ruins it for me, and the story is just plodding along. Hopefully, like Yellowstone, it will get a lot better after the first five or six episodes.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:03 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,063 Times in 532 Posts

I love Yellowstone, and I am watching 1883. I try to suspend disbelief when I'm being entertained, so I can enjoy the show.
Old 01-08-2022, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Interesting show. I am enjoying watching a couple of vocal artists doing their thing at acting. They are not doing a very bad job of it, so it makes it pretty interesting. Sam Elliot has always been one of my favorites, and his black partner is doing a great job. Since we are only watching that show on P+ we just sign into our daughter's account.

Tags
oak, sam, leaves, germans, it’s

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.