Anyone been to Augusta National golf course?

Closed Thread
Old 04-13-2021, 08:25 AM

I had the pleasure of going to a practice round. Walked all 18 holes. It is as magnificent as it looks on TV. They treat the patrons like royalty. It was my Disney World!
Old 04-13-2021, 08:42 AM

I am from Augusta. My first time going to the Masters was 7th grade. Sunday’s final round was rained out. So the final round was held on Monday. I got called to the office in school and my dad was there waiting for me. He surprised me with a ticket. He had taken my sister earlier in the day but I was lucky to see the ending with him.

I went every year after that. My last time there was right before I moved away. I sort of took it for granted as practice round tickets were so easy to get. I enjoyed those more than the tournament itself as the golfers were a little more relaxed and friendly. I still remember the taste of the egg salad and pimento cheese sandwiches and the souvenir cup that was only $1 more.

As I’m sure most of you who have been, I will never forget the first time I went and will always love and miss the times I spent there. If you ever get the chance to go, i highly recommend it. As Jim Nantz says , “It’s a tradition unlike any other.”
Old 04-13-2021, 09:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Been trying to get tickets for over 20 years just can't seem to win the Augusta National lottery
Old 04-13-2021, 10:20 AM

I had the privilege of going in 2017. The landscape is pristine and there is not a single weed. Although you can hear birds, you would be hard pressed to see wildlife. Everyone is friendly and considerate and respectful of your seat and your property. The best part may be that cell phones are not allowed so everyone is looking up, smiling and making eye contact. You get so close to the pros and they really appreciate the crowds.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:04 AM

Tickets are cheap, and the food is great for the price.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:56 AM
Default Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
After once again watching Masters this weekend, I'm in awe of the beauty of Augusta Natl.

Not really a 'bucket list', but would love to simply walk the Augusta course - like a tour or something. Unfortunately no-can-do. Private, and closed in the summer per my research. Would NOT want to play ($2000...) and I don't have enough balls. But sure would be a treat to spend a few hours and simply walk the course...

Another one - "Payne's Valley" near Branson Missouri. Newer courses and had a National "Match Play" with Pros last Sept. Breathtaking courses and views. They do have 'packages', even if not playing golf.

...perhaps before this frog...croaks.

Payne's Valley Golf Course | Big Cedar Lodge near Branson, Mo.
Try Callaway Gardens in Georgia. Beautiful course and closer.
Old 04-13-2021, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
Member tees are 6,450 yards. Not exactly doable, but I have played there 9 times.
What's funny is that during the tournament you don't see the members tees. Do they just take dig them up, recontour and reseed the areas? I've looked to flat areas forward of the tournament tees and couldn't find any.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-13-2021, 01:39 PM

My husband and I won the right to buy tickets for Wednesday's practice round a few years ago. It is a beautiful course and was a beautiful day. It is an absolutely enjoyable experience. Would recommend it for anyone able to walk hills. I don't know if I could do it today.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:25 PM

Been there 3 times. More like a shrine than a golf course. Not a single weed anywhere. Absolutely breathtaking.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:56 PM

I’d love to go, but don’t think I’d pass the background check.
Old 04-13-2021, 06:55 PM

Lucky to have been there on moving day.The setting is spectacular. Everything is manicured and the azaleas are awesome. The best for me was being in the area of the 13th green,, 14th tee. It is almost a sacramental experience. It is so beautiful. God must have made it. You can see the15th green and all of 16 from that area. It is heavenly.
Old 04-14-2021, 04:05 AM
Red face Augusta National

We were lucky to go for the first Women’s Amatuer held in 2019. I told my husband when we walked the course, “This is what heaven will look like. “
Old 04-14-2021, 06:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 820 Posts

I know I can not visit the golf course except during the Master's. Wondering is it worth visiting the Augusta area just for site seeing purposes at other times of the year ?
Old 04-14-2021, 07:14 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

I've tried to locate the web site for Augusta National to ask why they don't 'give tours' etc. Can't find an ACTUAL site for the Club - seems only for"Masters", etc.

Per Wikipedia,
Augusta National Golf Club, sometimes referred to as Augusta or the National, is a golf club in Augusta, Georgia, United States. Unlike most private clubs which operate as non-profits, Augusta National is a for-profit corporation, and it does not disclose its income, holdings, membership list, or ticket sales

hmm - sales from off-season 'tours' could provide a tidy $$$ haul...and alternative revenue for the Augusta area. I would go in a second...
Old 04-14-2021, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gb1944 View Post
Try Callaway Gardens in Georgia. Beautiful course and closer.
Perhaps but not the point

Tags
augusta, courses, simply, walk, golf

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.