Anyone from Columbus, Ohio?

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Location: Little Rock AR - San Diego CA - Memphis TN - Ft Myers FL - Macon GA, Roswell GA - TV St Charles
Default Anyone from Columbus, Ohio?

Our Son-In-Law has been accepted in a graduate program at Ohio State University so he, our daughter and grandkids, ages 8 and 5 will be moving to Columbus this summer and will be there at least 5 years. While we have read much online about Columbus and found it on several "Best Places to Live" lists, we have never been there and would appreciate any feedback, plus and minus from some of the good folks who have lived there.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 AM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

I was born in Cols and lived just east of cols for almost 22 yrs. It is a great place to live and am thinking about moving back soon. I have been here almost 35 years now in FL. 15 yrs in Lady Lake.
It is a booming place...lots going on and a lot to do. I would suggest living outside Columbus proper...There are some really beautiful towns nearby that are a very close commute to Cols.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,374 Times in 1,852 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

My husband and I are both from Columbus but haven't lived there for a long time.

It is where all of our siblings still live and is a very nice place indeed.

Westerville, Gahanna, New Albany, Dublin and Galina are mentioned now as to good schools and new homes. Upper Arlington and Bexley used to house the "old" money and still has lovely homes and are good areas to live.

Like any other mid sized cities in the U.S. there are patches where crime is prevalent.

Columbus has German roots and my family all came from St. Mary's Parish in the brewery district before it was all fashionable like it is now.

And, as for Ohio State? Go Bucks!
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Sage

I've lived in central OH all my life.

Given the age of their children, encourage your daughter and SIL to do some research on the various school districts in and around central OH. There are a number of excellent schools in the area.......and yet there are some that are struggling a bit, financially and academically.

If they get the chance ahead of time, they might also want to spend a little bit of time traversing the highways during rush hour timeframes if they're not going to be living close to campus. The highways in some areas get pretty jammed up at times. But compared to most other metropolitan areas in the U.S., central OH has it pretty easy when it comes to overall traffic congestion.

And they can start working on their pronunciations as well:

..."co-lum'-bus o-hi'-o" will indicate they're not local.

..."klum'-bis uh-hi'-uh" is usually what they'll hear around these parts!!

Bill
Old 03-13-2013, 09:04 AM

I was born an raised there. I would recommend that they look at New Albany, Upper Arlington, or Muirfield as possible areas to live.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:03 PM
Platinum member

This month's Delta magazine has a wonderful spread on Columbus Ohio. I'll bring one home for you. We lived in Upper Arlington, a close-in suburb that is near Ohio State. The suburban school systems are mostly good. Columbus has a vibrant economy and is a great place to live.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:59 PM

Our northern home is in Johnstown which is just east of Columbus. I taught in the area for 30 years and second the suggestion of New Albany, although i didn't teach there. Excellent schools and good funding, thanks to Les Wexner who owns The Limited organization. They have their elementary schools organized well with K-1 and 2-5 buildings. Great way to develop literacy skills with the little ones. There are other fine districts, but like elsewhere, many are struggling with finances. If you like living in the country, Johnstown has great schools and an excellent music program. A little farther out, Granville has an outstanding reputation .

Go Bucks and they need to buy lots of scarlet and gray clothes!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:53 AM
Location: Little Rock AR - San Diego CA - Memphis TN - Ft Myers FL - Macon GA, Roswell GA - TV St Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
Our northern home is in Johnstown which is just east of Columbus. I taught in the area for 30 years and second the suggestion of New Albany, although i didn't teach there. Excellent schools and good funding, thanks to Les Wexner who owns The Limited organization. They have their elementary schools organized well with K-1 and 2-5 buildings. Great way to develop literacy skills with the little ones. There are other fine districts, but like elsewhere, many are struggling with finances. If you like living in the country, Johnstown has great schools and an excellent music program. A little farther out, Granville has an outstanding reputation .

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to post a reply. All of the information will be quite helpful! Have a beautiful weekend.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:36 PM

I have a son that lives in Lewis Center in the Col. Area and they love it . I lived in Dublin for 20 years and really enjoyed it. Both areas great. Interested in a good church try Dublin baptist,
Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM

Hi, my daughter and son in law are graduates of OSU and they live in Dublin, Ohio. They have two children 11 and 8 and they are constantly busy with friends. Always something to do with the kids and without. Great sports teams for the kids, girls and boys. Very good schools as well.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Send a message via Yahoo to babbs455

Hey fellow Johnstown... I lived in Alexandria just down the road a couple miles.. GO BUCKS!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.