Is anyone doing the new craft called "Diamond Painting"?

Closed Thread
Old 11-22-2020, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Is anyone doing the new craft called "Diamond Painting"?

Many friends are doing it and I just completed one. They are quite addictive I am seeing. I hope someone starts a group at Laurel Manor when this is over.

Anyone want to admit they have beads on their floor?

What in Heavens name am I going to do with more framed stuff???
Old 11-22-2020, 12:51 PM
Gold member

Doing some Pandemic crafting...
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	C174D477-F7D4-40ED-A540-4F098272C591.jpg
Views:	4069
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	87040  
Old 11-22-2020, 01:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNLAKEPANDA View Post
I needed to laugh!
Old 11-22-2020, 01:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Diamond Painting has been around for years. Most patterns are coming from an embroidery piece. They are quick and cheap, And doesn’t take any skill or expertise to spend a few hours of mindless crafts.

I get them for my mom on Amazon lightning deals. For as little as they cost she can throw them away and start a new one. I did get her a magnifying lamp which helps her read the numbers easier.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Diamond Painting has been around for years. Most patterns are coming from an embroidery piece. They are quick and cheap, And doesn’t take any skill or expertise to spend a few hours of mindless crafts.

I get them for my mom on Amazon lightning deals. For as little as they cost she can throw them away and start a new one. I did get her a magnifying lamp which helps her read the numbers easier.
A neighbor does those. I personally don't understand the interest. Then again I never liked paint-by-numbers either, and this seems to be basically the same thing, except with beads instead of paint.
Old 11-22-2020, 05:25 PM

My sister got me started and I made my neighbor addicted. I’ve spoken to the recreation department about starting a club and am in the process of applying. As for what to do with finished pictures, they are rolled up in my closet!
Old 11-22-2020, 06:43 PM
Default Diamond Painting

I started about four years ago. Before COVID I sold them at the arts and crafts show in The Villages. My first show I sold half of my inventory of 40 pictures. Most of my pictures are of dogs and I also do custom ones from photos. I am waiting for the arts and crafts shows to start up again as I have about 50 framed pictures waiting to be sold.
Old 11-22-2020, 08:53 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
OMG. I laughed out loud....
Old 11-22-2020, 10:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

Some are quite involved. A friend did this one of Sean Connery.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	125435451_679249813019993_2562017242909268251_o.jpg
Views:	3864
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	87046  

Last edited by graciegirl; 11-22-2020 at 10:31 PM.
Old 11-22-2020, 11:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Many friends are doing it and I just completed one. They are quite addictive I am seeing. I hope someone starts a group at Laurel Manor when this is over.

My neighbor across the street does it. She has an amazing amount of patience and is excellent at puzzles.
Old 11-23-2020, 02:39 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,757 Times in 756 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I was just shopping at Jo Ann's Saturday (to kill a little time on a boring Saturday... no T time...LOL ) and SAW that craft. Have a very "crafty" neighbor and ask her as soon as I came home (she teachers some craft groups at various rec centers). She said there could be but she's "in the craft loop" and has not heard of any. I was curious, heard it does take a GOOD light, but what held me back is what to DO with all the finished projects...it's the age old craft question....LOL ! Same with ceramics, how much CAN you give to family and friends, you finally run out of people, at least I did... LOL !
Old 11-23-2020, 02:42 AM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyephan View Post
My sister got me started and I made my neighbor addicted. I’ve spoken to the recreation department about starting a club and am in the process of applying. As for what to do with finished pictures, they are rolled up in my closet!
LOL ! Like my ceramics... no one in the family wants any more ceramics for Christmas...LOL !
Old 11-23-2020, 02:44 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
That's GREAT, do you do pretzels too ?
Old 11-23-2020, 05:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

This is about the simplest craft one can do. Canvas is sticky, has squares that the symbol tells you what color to put there. If you are not crafty this is a great way to take up time. Other than time you don’t need to have a knack or talent to have a nice end result.

Unlike painting you don’t need to shade, or blend, just put a drill in the corresponding spot. Pictures with full drill look the most complete. While round drills are nice, square drills fill the entire square and have a more finished product.

After completion, you need to use a clear coat over entire project. If not eventually some of the drills will fall off in time. If you plan to hang it’s best not to put behind glass, you lose the sparkle. I got my mom a 18x24 child Angel that had a garden in the background. I framed like a gallery canvas, and she added drills on the side to complete. I then used a clear coat spray.

It’s been hanging in her bedroom for over 2 years, and when the sun hits it sparkles when you walk by. The sad part is most are coming from China, have copied pictures from artists without their permission. Some companies have a reputation of the canvas not covered in tack to hold drills. If this happens you can either use a spray adhesive, ( for large area) or thin craft double stick tape for a small space.

There are many companies online that sell the kits, with about any picture you can think of, that can be pricey. If you are a prime member they are on lighting deals all the time for as little as $5 and up depending on the size. Larger sizes or intricate design isn’t difficult to do, just takes more time. After all it’s just like an embroidered piece, with out the needle, but diamond painting unlike embroidery is not take with you project.

You can also get blank sticky canvas, and create your own abstract using all the extra drills ( and there will be many) to make interesting piece
Old 11-23-2020, 07:42 AM
Default Diamond Painting

I have done diamond painting for 4 years. At the last Villages Arts & Craft Show I sold half of my inventory of about 45 paintings. I mainly do dog breed and custom paintings from photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	couple.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	87052  
Attached Images
daphnecrusoe-jpg 
Closed Thread

Tags
framed, admit, beads, manor, floor

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.