Is anyone familiar with MasterClass?

Closed Thread
Old 09-04-2018, 03:54 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Is anyone familiar with MasterClass?

I remain in a snit over the closing of the Lifelong Learning College in TV. I like to learn something new from time to time.

Though I would much rather be in a class with other people, I have been looking at MasterClass online.

MasterClass has famous people teaching stuff. So far there are 35 classes offered and you can take as many as you want to for $180 a year.

Annie Leibovitz on photography. Gordon Ramsey and Wolfgang Puck on cooking. You might find something you want to learn more about. Some guy named Daniel Negreanu is coming soon with a class on poker.

I have been looking at the website and am sort of interested. I was wondering if any TOTVers have signed up for MasterClass.

Here is the link that tells all about it:

MasterClass Online Classes
Old 09-04-2018, 06:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member

A number of Universities offer free courses. I took one a few years ago from Harvard. Maybe other posters will know the names of some other programs you can do for free.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I remain in a snit over the closing of the Lifelong Learning College in TV. I like to learn something new from time to time.

Though I would much rather be in a class with other people, I have been looking at MasterClass online.

MasterClass has famous people teaching stuff. So far there are 35 classes offered and you can take as many as you want to for $180 a year.

Annie Leibovitz on photography. Gordon Ramsey and Wolfgang Puck on cooking. You might find something you want to learn more about. Some guy named Daniel Negreanu is coming soon with a class on poker.

I have been looking at the website and am sort of interested. I was wondering if any TOTVers have signed up for MasterClass.

Here is the link that tells all about it:

MasterClass Online Classes
What you might enjoy is a membership to Calling all creative people! | Craftsy I received one as a gift and it is awesome. Hundreds of cooking, photography, etc. etc. etc. classes all taught by professionals. The membership is less than the price you mentioned. Most of the classes sell for between $20 - 40 separate but you get them all in the membership. I have learned so much.
Old 09-04-2018, 10:53 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Some guy named Daniel Negreanu is coming soon with a class on poker.
[/url]
For those who don’t follow poker, Daniel Negreanu is not just “some guy”. He is a poker god. Any class he teaches would be well worth the money.

kathy
Old 09-05-2018, 07:46 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
For those who don’t follow poker, Daniel Negreanu is not just “some guy”. He is a poker god. Any class he teaches would be well worth the money.

kathy

Thanks. I recognized every other name but his so I figured he had to be a biggie.

And thanks to the others for the suggestions. I have been toying with the idea of MasterClass for a while.

I like the idea of having access to all the classes for a year. I see several I would like to know more about.

For some reason I have always been fascinated by architecture but I don't really know much about it. The singing and tennis classes would be hopeless for me.

I really miss the Lifelong Learning College. But I guess I need to get over it. I am such a nerd that it was one of the things that attracted me to TV.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Thanks. I recognized every other name but his so I figured he had to be a biggie.

And thanks to the others for the suggestions. I have been toying with the idea of MasterClass for a while.

I like the idea of having access to all the classes for a year. I see several I would like to know more about.

For some reason I have always been fascinated by architecture but I don't really know much about it. The singing and tennis classes would be hopeless for me.

I really miss the Lifelong Learning College. But I guess I need to get over it. I am such a nerd that it was one of the things that attracted me to TV.

AGREE 100%. I miss the school. I used to take Yoga through the school and loved the fact that the numbers were limited and you could get to know your yoga neighbors! I took several classes and enjoyed every one. I have taken a couple of classes with the new set up, they are good, but the "feeling" is not there! So, after writing all that, I got into your link and am very impressed with what is offered. I was drawn to fashion design. Thanks for taking the time to post this information I would never have found it on my own.

Online learning is definitely growing. I have a granddaughter who did a Masters online and it got her a great job; I also have a daughter-in-law who does University classes continuously online and it has greatly impacted her career. She works for a major company and they pick up the tab for the online classes.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Last edited by Madelaine Amee; 09-05-2018 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-05-2018, 11:18 AM
Sage

How about the Enrichment Academy. It's a kinda/sorta replacement for the Lifelong Learning Academy...

The Enrichment Academy | Instructor Application - Learn & Grow - The Villages, FL
Old 09-05-2018, 03:06 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
[/U][/B]

AGREE 100%. I miss the school. I used to take Yoga through the school and loved the fact that the numbers were limited and you could get to know your yoga neighbors! I took several classes and enjoyed every one. I have taken a couple of classes with the new set up, they are good, but the "feeling" is not there! So, after writing all that, I got into your link and am very impressed with what is offered. I was drawn to fashion design. Thanks for taking the time to post this information I would never have found it on my own.

Online learning is definitely growing. I have a granddaughter who did a Masters online and it got her a great job; I also have a daughter-in-law who does University classes continuously online and it has greatly impacted her career. She works for a major company and they pick up the tab for the online classes.

You are welcome, Madelaine Amee.

I am curious about the fashion design one, too. I am not all that fashionable. I am predictable. (Talbot's sends me love letters.)

Taught by Diane Von Furstenberg, the iconic designer of the iconic wrap dress, it should be an interesting class. I love that dress, but I could never really find happiness with it.

I just read an interview with DVF that said she never wore the wrap dress much because she does not really have a waist.

I can relate.

Rectangular Boomer
Old 09-05-2018, 03:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
You are welcome, Madelaine Amee.

I am curious about the fashion design one, too. I am not all that fashionable. I am predictable. (Talbot's sends me love letters.)

Taught by Diane Von Furstenberg, the iconic designer of the iconic wrap dress, it should be an interesting class. I love that dress, but I could never really find happiness with it.

I just read an interview with DVF that said she never wore the wrap dress much because she does not really have a waist.

I can relate.

Rectangular Boomer
When I have the time, I am going to browse through all the courses offered, there are some really interesting people. I do not like Ramsey Gordon or his show, but I will take a look at his cooking.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 09-05-2018, 03:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Sorry my question was off-topic. I'll find an appropriate place to post it! Carry on.
Old 09-06-2018, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:

Me too. And the French class that we were taking for several years was not renewed for some reason. I forget why. But I miss the LLC. Don't know why they couldn't have just hired signers and kept on going on.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:04 PM
Platinum member

The Enrichment Academy has had several courses that I have taken, and haven’t missed Lifelong Learning.

I have not compared scheduledclasses between LLLC and EA closely, but just a quick look, they are quite similar.

Tags
masterclass, time, people, learn, class

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.