Anyone own a Cooper Mini ?

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2019, 07:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts
Default Anyone own a Cooper Mini ?

NOT a small dog or a small child named Cooper, I'm referring to the car.

What is your opinion? Not looking for suggestions on other vehicles, just your opinion if you own a COOPER MINI vehicle.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

I personally do not own one, but my neighbors wife runs one, and I know she loves it.
No idea about specs, but must say the are not nearly as 'mini' as the name suggests.
It is quite a reasonable sized small car, and Minis are now made by BMW.
I think it is quite nippy, as she has managed to get nicked twice for speeding in it!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:06 AM
Sage

My wife had a Mini Cooper coupe- I had to drive it to Wesley Chapel for service,-scaryest car I ever drove--especially when along side an 18 wheeler on I-75- its ok for local driving in TV, but IMHO--its a death trap-kept it one year and went back to Benz--its a cute cult car-just like the Mazda Miata also, you have to use premium gas
Old 10-10-2019, 09:11 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,751 Times in 3,627 Posts

They are good little cars.

Now-a-day, they have a variety of sizes, doors, tops.

Fun car.

I would suggest purchasing one a couple years old and save a couple bucks.

Good Luck.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:11 AM

Although I haven't owned a Mini, I have owned several new BMWs in the last 10 years so I am familiar with the brand. If you google the Mini brand, you will see that BMW is struggling to keep the Mini alive in the US as is the case with a number of other small cars that can't compete in the SUV centric market. If BMW does pull the Mini out of the US, you will have an "orphaned" vehicle with dwindling parts and service support along with an accelerated depreciation rate as well.
I have known three friends/acquaintances that have owned new Minis, and all three cars were problematic for them. None of the three kept their Minis long due to service issues.
Old 10-10-2019, 09:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
NOT a small dog or a small child named Cooper, I'm referring to the car.

What is your opinion? Not looking for suggestions on other vehicles, just your opinion if you own a COOPER MINI vehicle.
We have had a whole lot of Mini's. We sold the ones I had before we moved here. We absolutely love them. The biggest problem we ever had was a Wiring Harness that controlled the driver's side window needed replacement. Go figure. The biggest problem was the last one we bought I added on the run-flat tires, lesson learned. That was a bad move.

The ones we owned were all purchased and built the way we wanted and new. Our kids had a lot of variations including one right-hand drive. Their cars were mostly bought used. The repairs I remember them making were water pumps, timing belts or chains? It was a while ago and they had problems with the brakes on the older models they had.

Overall for me, I think it was one of the Best Cars we ever owned. Do it. You will get confused between the Mini and the Golf Cart. Good Luck.

No Premium gas unless it is the S or John Cooper Works Model!
Old 10-10-2019, 09:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,103 Times in 2,232 Posts

I have helped a neighbor with one, they changed the after market brake pads for original pads, their words "big mistake", original pads created lots of brake dust. Also, the model they have has plastic receivers on the frame for the jack, one broke off.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:31 AM
Veteran member

I owned one for about a year recently. It was fun to drive but rather cramped with very poor storage room. It was very difficult for hubby to do simple repairs on due to basic engineering reasons, and my husband is an excellent mechanic. The run-flat tires concerned me and they don't have room for a spare. I just didn't like or trust it so we sold it. But it really was a kick to drive. Good luck in your search.
Old 10-10-2019, 10:49 AM
Sage

Runflat tires are one of the biggest auto scams out there- imagine you're 400 miles from your destination on a Sun--you are stuck or even worse you're crossing from Mesa, Az-in the desert !! and a lot of auto shops can't change run flats-a person inTV that I knew had a BMW got a flat on a run flat had to wait 4 days till BMW got a replacement tire--my wife's SL has run flats --pure junk !!!
Old 10-10-2019, 12:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Thanks all. From what I have been reading the "Minis" get bigger every year which would be good. Also the 2019 just got on IIHS award for crash safety. If anything I'd be looking for a 1yr old model. It's still another 6 months off so by then the '19's will be my target. We put more miles on our "golf cart" than we put on our car since we moved down here 2 1/2 yrs ago. Our "cart" is street legal so it's used more than the average GC and it is just a bit smaller than a Mini so size doesn't scare me. I'd have to avoid the "S" as I don't want to have to use premium gas.
Old 10-10-2019, 12:39 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Go to this site. Edmunds has reviews from their testers and owners. I selected a 2018 model year.

https://www.edmunds.com/mini/hardtop-2-door/2018/
Old 10-10-2019, 01:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,739 Times in 1,222 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Thanks all. From what I have been reading the "Minis" get bigger every year which would be good. Also the 2019 just got on IIHS award for crash safety. If anything I'd be looking for a 1yr old model. It's still another 6 months off so by then the '19's will be my target. We put more miles on our "golf cart" than we put on our car since we moved down here 2 1/2 yrs ago. Our "cart" is street legal so it's used more than the average GC and it is just a bit smaller than a Mini so size doesn't scare me. I'd have to avoid the "S" as I don't want to have to use premium gas.
Super fun cars and a great fit for The Villages so I wouldn't let anything mentioned here keep you away.

MINIUSA told me they recommend premium for all their cars but that it is not a problem to use regular: "However, you may sacrifice some of the full performance (horsepower) of the MINI engine by using these lower grade fuels." The ECU will adjust to the lower octaine with some loss in pep and maybe some loss in gas mileage.

Life is getting shorter, enjoy the drive!
Old 10-10-2019, 02:07 PM

I own a Mini 2012 S convertible. We bought it used about 4 years ago. I drive it in the summer in New England. Our roads are pretty rough and the ride is rough. We have had no mechanical problems so far. We have regular tires on it so it is concerning if we go on a trip. There is no room for a spare . The back seat leg area is extremely limited.
We also have a 2010 Mini convertible in The Villages. Our roads are nicer there so the ride is good. We have had no mechanical problems with this car either. Again, no spare tire and limited back seat area. Both cars have very small trunk area.
There is a noticeable difference in the power in the S model . Both are fun to drive and we get lots of compliments.
A family member has a 2012 Mini S Countryman. This model has lots of foot room in the back seat . She had a costly repair recently which I can't remember what it was but can ask if you want to know. She lives full time in New England and raves about how good it is in the winter snow events.
The Villages has a very active Mini Cooper club which has many fun events and lots of informative information. You should attend a few if you're interested in purchasing a Mini. They love talking about their Minis.
I'm a female so I can't give you any technical advise but I can tell you how cute and fun Minis are.
Old 10-10-2019, 03:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

There was a Regular Mini Cooper it was Mint, a beautiful color I had never considered up North on TOTV'S shortly after I bought my last car. Low Mileage for I think $9 or $10K. I was salivating. Always a day late rite. Do it, Ed, I am telling you its a beautiful, quality, fun and safe car, relatively speaking.

Try the Mini Website, it's a PIP!
Old 10-11-2019, 06:40 AM
Veteran member

Great cars. Had one for 5 years. Very safe. Any car hit by a madman driver of an 18 wheeler, especially on I-75 is in trouble. Mini's handle the road very well. The inside compartment had lots of room. After my 4 year warranty was up, I had it serviced in Leesburg. You have to like small cars otherwise forget it, however, they are really fun to drive. There is a Mini Cooper Club in TV. I did not have an "S", but you still had to use a higher octane gas than regular in my 2011.. Buy it, you'll love it. I did not have runflat tires on mine, and I would never have them.
Closed Thread

Tags
cooper, opinion, small, mini, suggestions

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.