Anyone try DNA Testing/Ancestry etc?

Closed Thread
Old 01-28-2021, 07:11 PM

Ancestry has a bigger data base than 23 and me but be prepared! I thought I knew EVERYTHING about my family...surprise, surprise! 2 stories:

3 years ago, I found out I have an older half brother through Ancestry DNA. Consolidated (but happy) story, he was born in Europe, given up for adoption by his birth mom at 3 days old and grew up 8 hours (in the USA) from us. He received previously unknown medical history information, 5 new siblings but best part was dad and son met for first time! We are enjoying getting to know him. (We think my mother likes him more than us lol)

My brother-in-law took a test since his wife was into family trees and found 21 half siblings?!? How can that be??? Came to find out he was the product of a sperm donor! (Both his parents alive, in their 90's but never told him). The count is now at 28 half siblings
Old 01-28-2021, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore! View Post
Do you have any idea what they do with your DNA sample once you give it to them? All the personal questions asked and the sample of DNA make me wonder what is their end purpose. Buyer beware. There are many companies that are taking DNA for ulterior motives.
23andMe was bought by a Pharmaceutical company, just not sure which one....but now they have all your information
Old 01-28-2021, 08:59 PM
Platinum member
Default Back to the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by flflowers View Post
23andme was bought by a pharmaceutical company, just not sure which one....but now they have all your information
rx's in the near future will be dna targeted to your specific dna. The information 🚂 train has already left the station. It's "a brave new world," a.h.
Old 01-29-2021, 05:34 AM

I used 23andMe and Ancestry. The first report was long and detailed. Ancestry’s was very succincts and disappointing.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:55 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up There is Good in DNA research

Before there is a lot of naysayers regarding DNA's there are some good components to this research. Mayo Clinic has a DNA Research Firm they are working with who will, in some cases accept patients. Mayo keeps samples from patients who had their surgery for
10 years. In this case the Research Firm harvested a sample of the surgery from 2017 and they did genetic research regarding the specific cells from the surgery and developed treatments that are very specific for that type and form of cancer. This is leading edge science for treatments of some cancers and is related to DNA research. In one case I am familiar with, this research led to 3 recommended drugs for that cancer! Will some Insurance Firms use that kind of history in the future to determine risk? Most likely, but who the hell cares? Sometimes "paranoia" gets in the way of sound judgement!
Old 01-29-2021, 11:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

There is so much information about everyone in various data bases, private and government. Think about it, all these entities have your date of birth, SSAN, place of birth, marital status, number of dependents, credit score, credit history, where you have lived and where you currently live, employment history, police record if any, your buying habits, how much money you make and on and on. Worrying about DNA information being in a data base is like shutting the barn door after the horse gets out. I believe the military now collects and stores DNA on military members for use in identifying an unknown body.
Old 01-31-2021, 11:36 AM

Ancestry.com is great. Researched my ancestors and found one side of family was Patriots and other was Loyalist. Found family members I did not know I had. Visited places in England and Germany that my family was from. Found graves of family members.

Have a friend who was contacted by a daughter he knew nothing about. Mother never told him he had a daughter and never told daughter who her Father was. They are now one big happy family and so happy they found each other.
Old 01-31-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj1040 View Post
yes - we did ancestry and got matched with first cousins that we did not know had done it also and lots of more distant relatives including some from Scotland and Germany ! I thought I was more Irish than I was in the end ! Making a family tree now - so interesting. They located my 99 year old mother''s grandmother and grandfathers photos so I printed that out for her. They also have immigration and wedding and census records and more.
If you want health records I would try 23 and Me - we may do that someday as well.
I would also suggest 23 & me. We did this 3-4 years ago and found the results very interesting. No subscription needed, and we get regular updates via email, on a variety of new research or relative contacts.
Old 01-31-2021, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Don’t fool yourself your information being sold, China collecting DNA from all over the world, I won’t be surprised if the collectors’ are selling information to China? the next virus will be ethic gender targeted. What do you think there doing in Wahun China? trying to save the bats 🦇?
Old 01-31-2021, 04:27 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Don’t fool yourself your information being sold, China collecting DNA from all over the world, I won’t be surprised if the collectors’ are selling information to China? the next virus will be ethic gender targeted. What do you think there doing in Wahun China? trying to save the bats 🦇?
Since most of us are "mutts", I highly doubt the Chi Coms will be successful without killing most of their own population

Last edited by Aloha1; 01-31-2021 at 04:36 PM.
Old 01-31-2021, 04:35 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

My first cousin had already done extensive research on that part of my family tree. I learned I am in part descended from a French knight, Roger the Bald, who accompanied William of Orange in 1066. I also learned with my own research that one of my great great grandmothers was a MacQueenie, which was a sub clan of Scottish Clan Ross and is now part of Clan McKinzie. Still looking to see if I am entitled to wear the Clan colors.

I was in Rostok, Germany a couple years ago and had a strange feeling that the land was familiar. Turned out another side of my family came from there.

I find all of this DNA research very interesting and it proves the fact that we are all "out of Africa".
Old 01-31-2021, 05:16 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

just saw in the TV listings for tonight - 60 Minutes - will have a segment on Tonight on 60 Minutes: the race to collect DNA. I have it DVRd.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aloha1 View Post
Since most of us are "mutts", I highly doubt the Chi Coms will be successful without killing most of their own population
Why their collecting DNA so they don’t.
Closed Thread

Tags
dna, file, privacy, issues, ramifications

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.