Anyone try DNA Testing/Ancestry etc?

Old 01-28-2021, 08:20 AM

I have been researching mine and my husband’s family history and used Ancestry for several years. I did their DNA test and found it to be valid as it showed strong relationships with other family members who had completed it (first cousins and uncle).

Through the use of this DNA process, I was able to connect with two distant cousins. I found that one of those had a great-grandmother who was sister to my great-grandmother. The other one had a great-great grandfather who was brother to our great-grandmothers. We had all hit some dead ends in our searches for the mother and father of those particular ancestor siblings. Through working together, we were able to make some more definitive finds and determinations about our heritage.

Another distant relative was able to find her birth father, who happened to be the son of my first cousin. Once she contacted him (she lived in Ca. & he lived in NC), he was open to meeting her. They have since met and visited one another in both states. The resemblance of this young lady to her deceased grandmother (my cousin) is uncanny. There was definitely no denying that she is a member of our family.

For me, the use of the DNA & what I have learned has been truly fascinating and worthwhile. I have many DNA matches that show on my profile but have not had a need to contact any others for any reasons so far.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:44 AM
Veteran member

I got a kit for a gift once but wouldn’t use it. I don’t trust the accuracy or the security or those who may have access to the information.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:46 AM

Used all three...23andme is the best IMO

Old 01-28-2021, 09:05 AM
Default Do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanFL View Post
Last night, saw a really good "PBS/NOVA" on 'Secrets in our DNA'. Was so interesting, and left me intrigued to -perhaps- try it out.

Seems to be 3 main companies - Ancestry, 23andMe, CRI Genetics.

Of course once your DNA is on file, there may be privacy issues and ramifications, but nothing in life is without risk IMO.

Anyone here on TV use DNA/Genetic test? Results etc.

link to the Nova episode>

NOVA | Secrets in our DNA | Season 48 | Episode 1 | PBS
Do you have any idea what they do with your DNA sample once you give it to them? All the personal questions asked and the sample of DNA make me wonder what is their end purpose. Buyer beware. There are many companies that are taking DNA for ulterior motives.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,131 Times in 417 Posts

Yes, my wife and I did the Ancestry DNA test. Well worth the price, confirming many of our suspicions of our genealogy, but also providing some surprises.

When I discovered that a two-month free trial of the Ancestry family tree building program came along with the DNA test, I thought I’d give it a try. I took a genealogy course at the old Lifelong Learning College and recall that the instructors recommended it, saying you could accomplish a lot in a relatively short time if you applied yourself. So I gave it a try, after all like everyone, I had plenty of time!

I did accomplish a lot, but I literally spent hundreds of hours during my two free months. The trees I built for both my wife and myself kept going back and getting more and more interesting. So much so that I extended my subscription to Ancestry for another six months.

What takes time building the tree with both your direct ancestors as well as their children and siblings is a matter of arithmetic. After eight generations your four grandparents for you and your spouse becomes 256 grandparents plus all the children and siblings. You quickly discover that before birth control, families were huge. Ten or twelve children in a family were common, often more than that!

I’ve kind of slowed down and will probably suspend my Ancestry subscription. But I have built family trees for my wife and myself that contains...

—Almost 17,000 individuals
— Going back to the 1400’s
— We have two Kings of England and Ireland, a King of Scotland, a King of France and a King of Sweden in our combined lineage.
— We also have an Archbishop of Canterbury and a Catholic Cardinal among our ancestors.
— And of course, dozens of ancestors who were Knights or had noble titles. (We both have lineage going back to England and Scotland.)

— Certain lines are interesting for different reasons. It turns out that I’m 75% Finnish. The Finns may have had royalty, but not in my lineage. Most of my ancestors back 5-6-7 generations came from up near the Arctic Circle, many Sami reindeer herders.

Anyway, with the time we all have, I’d enthusiastically recommend doing the DNA test and then taking a crack at the Ancestry family tree-building.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
I did it and I'm so glad I did. No wonder I'm so smart. I found out I'm a direct descendant of Albert Einstein.
If you're so smart, why did it take so long for you to get the test? Sorry, couldn't resist.....

I view the popular tests out there as being somewhat of a useful gimmick. At this point in my life, I'm really not interested in shirt-tale relatives I might have in Whoknowswhereistan.

If I started having serious medical issues, I would definitely consider getting the test done through Invitae Corp. It sheds light on diseases you may have or be susceptible to. It also helps medical providers determine if you're having issues with drug interactions. Not nearly as entertaining as the other tests out there but much more personally valuable, IMO.

Old 01-28-2021, 09:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

on a lark my wife and I did 23andMe....my results were predictable. My wife was somewhat surprised, but it did depict how her ancestors traveled around the Med and finally ended up in Italy

the whole thing was pretty pricey for a little story about her family's migratory history

but if you do go with it, be prepared to be receive a number of 'opportunities' to upgrade for the benefit of science

it's not a complete fraud...but it's a real slick money making scheme....akin to 'naming a star after someone' in the star registry, or buying a square inch of dirt in Scotland to be able to say that you're a Lord or Lady...or in Lynchburg TN

Old 01-28-2021, 09:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up Hard Work

If you are really interested in your Genealogy it can be hard work. I subscribe to both Genealogy.com and My Heritage.Com. In addition I have had both of these providers do my DNA. I have also purchased some hardcover books that are dedicated to Heritage's
names, histories and family genealogies. I have completed the Genealogy for both sides of my family (Paternal and Maternal). Charted Paternal back to 1587 and Maternal 1505. Along the way I have found some great history of the families and some remarkable discoveries of their experiences and accomplishments. It is a terrific journey through time. In order to be accurate you have to have some tight disapline and when not positive of a linage then get a second source! As an aside this is a very good way to keep your mind active. Regarding the comparing of the 2 DNA's. They were both similar and within boundaries that were reasonable.I did find that although a small percentage
one pointed out that we do have some Jewish heritage which is a wonderful addition to
our history. If you decide to start this road I would recommend starting with a single
source, Genealogy.Com and increase your sources as you grow in experience.

Last edited by PennBF; 01-28-2021 at 09:43 AM. Reason: Structure of wording

Old 01-28-2021, 09:46 AM
Thanked 1,119 Times in 246 Posts
Default Back to Africa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
IMO I have my doubts? Like FB or any other site with free or minimum charge it’s what they do with you’re information? And of course read all the fine print? I guess for some that will give up their private information it’s worth it. For me no, I know my family history black to early 1700s.
I wonder if there is a cut-off point at some time in one's history. If there was not, everone's DNA would trace back to Africa.

In human genetics, the Mitochondrial Eve (also mt-Eve, mt-MRCA) is the matrilineal most recent common ancestor (MRCA) of all living humans. In other words, she is defined as the most recent woman from whom all living humans descend in an unbroken line purely through their mothers and through the mothers of those mothers, back until all lines converge on one woman. The male analog to the "Mitochondrial Eve" is the "Y-chromosomal Adam" (or Y-MRCA), the individual from whom all living humans are patrilineally descended. - Mitochondrial Eve - Wikipedia

If you go even further than this researchers have discovered Neanderthals and Denisovans not only mated with each other, they also mated with modern humans. “When the Max Plank Institute [for Evolutionary Anthropology] began getting nuclear DNA sequenced data from Neanderthals, then it became very clear very quickly that modern humans carried some Neanderthal DNA,” says Alan R. Rogers, a professor of anthropology and biology at the University of Utah - How Did Humans Evolve? - HISTORY

Old 01-28-2021, 10:13 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore! View Post
Do you have any idea what they do with your DNA sample once you give it to them? All the personal questions asked and the sample of DNA make me wonder what is their end purpose. Buyer beware. There are many companies that are taking DNA for ulterior motives.
I agree! They are collecting personal information and some day your Health Insurance Company may say "We won't insure you because you have a distant relative that suffered from... (say Alztimers) .

Someone told me that they will own your DNA once you give a sample. That scares me.

Here's a place to start reading: LINK (Harvard University)

Genealogy tracing ancestors is quite different if you want to know if you're related to George Washington you don't need DNA. We enjoy "Finding Your Roots" on PBS weekly.

Stay safe.

Skip

Old 01-28-2021, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I never had any interest, although I found out about an unknown brother who did do a test. In 1999 I had a phone call and eventual meeting with someone who said they were a half brother.

I lived in Baltimore at the time, which is where I was born, and he lived in Philly and was born in Wilmington, De, not that far away, and was adopted. After many conversations we eventually met and even though I wasn't tested, I'm pretty sure he was who he said he was. I had another half brother that I knew about and grew up seeing often. He looked just like that brother. After almost 20 years and now I live in Florida, we still communicate and for awhile I did see him down here, because he owned a home in New Smyrna Beach.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:27 AM

I was in the original group recruited by National Geographic to conduct deep DNA history going back 75,000 years (circa mid-1990s). Now that was interesting, as they showed my DNA as it progressed through the ages on of map of the world. I still occasionally get an update from Nat.Geo. The newer stuff is not as interesting, as it only goes back a couple of centuries in most cases. But, there are surprises, I and my wife each had one that really surprised both of us.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
You know the part of your history that you were told. Many of my friends have found a few surprises
No, it documented in family bibles.

Old 01-28-2021, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
I wonder if there is a cut-off point at some time in one's history. If there was not, everone's DNA would trace back to Africa.

In human genetics, the Mitochondrial Eve (also mt-Eve, mt-MRCA) is the matrilineal most recent common ancestor (MRCA) of all living humans. In other words, she is defined as the most recent woman from whom all living humans descend in an unbroken line purely through their mothers and through the mothers of those mothers, back until all lines converge on one woman. The male analog to the "Mitochondrial Eve" is the "Y-chromosomal Adam" (or Y-MRCA), the individual from whom all living humans are patrilineally descended. - Mitochondrial Eve - Wikipedia

If you go even further than this researchers have discovered Neanderthals and Denisovans not only mated with each other, they also mated with modern humans. “When the Max Plank Institute [for Evolutionary Anthropology] began getting nuclear DNA sequenced data from Neanderthals, then it became very clear very quickly that modern humans carried some Neanderthal DNA,” says Alan R. Rogers, a professor of anthropology and biology at the University of Utah - How Did Humans Evolve? - HISTORY

It’s only traced back to Africa cause that’s the old bones they found so far. And I sure there may be some ones opinion and the one with the most degrees trumps the other opinions.

I agree I swear I see some Neanderthal’s walking around today?

Old 01-28-2021, 11:19 AM
Default DNA Results

Anyone here on TV use DNA/Genetic test? Results etc.

Two of my nieces in California submitted DNA a couple of years ago and discovered a First Cousin they were unaware of. This cousin lives in Sweden and had been looking for her father whom she had never met. That father turned out to be me.

I had dated a Swedish girl in the sixties and lost touch with her when she returned to Sweden. I was never made aware that she had been carrying my child. Since obtaining this information we have had a couple of family reunions. One of my other daughters submitted their DNA as did I which confirms we are related as parent or sibling. I have yet to meet the four new grandchildren. Perhaps this will happen after this Covid Pandemic is under control.

Tags
dna, file, privacy, issues, ramifications

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.