Anything made with plastic to increase significantly in price or disappear completely

Closed Thread
Old 10-26-2020, 09:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,470 Times in 611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wonder who invented blister packs. He or she should be arrested and forced to spend 20 years opening the darn things
I bought a pair of scissors that came in a blister pack. Still there. grrr.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:43 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Wonder who invented blister packs. He or she should be arrested and forced to spend 20 years opening the darn things
How is one supposed to sneak a piece of cake late at night from one of those containers? Even the neighbors know you are having a snack.😂
Old 10-26-2020, 09:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Strange Block Island Ri switched from burning 1million gallons of fuel oil to wind power only. It uses only 30% to sustain islands power from wind the other 70% is sent back to mainland.
Fuel oil ( kerosene ) is least efficient and most costly. No wonder theY switch to something else.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,910 Times in 1,528 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
Many, maybe even most, plastics are made from petroleum. If we shut down the oil industry it will likely significantly impact the availability and/or cost of anything made of or containing a significant amount of plastic.
During this Pandemic, people are driving less. The price of a gallon of oil is down to $40 (I believe). That is because demand is low and supply is high. Thus low prices. So, plastic manufacturers have plenty of raw material to work with. In the future, the world will move increasingly toward clean energy and renewable resources. Science is most likely working on ways to produce plastics from - who knows wood pulp, seaweed, or whatever.

The world functioned in 1030 and 1940 without plastic anyway. I worry more about clean air than fewer plastics. Those are my priorities.
Old 10-26-2020, 09:57 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Strange Block Island Ri switched from burning 1million gallons of fuel oil to wind power only. It uses only 30% to sustain islands power from wind the other 70% is sent back to mainland.
Not too hard to keep a population of 1051 running off wind power.
population Block Island Ri - Google Search
Old 10-26-2020, 10:01 AM
Sage

Never going get rid of fossil fuels till it all used up, that won’t be for another 200 years more or less. What we can do supplement the usage till new technology catches up. Right now wind and solar can’t be reliable in all areas. yes, it work good where wind blows and sun shines constantly. Fossils fuels can be reduced, but be long time before it’s replaced, to say so By 2035 is ——- stunt.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:01 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Not too hard to keep a population of 1051 running off wind power.
population Block Island Ri - Google Search
And we’re the wind blows constantly.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjamuser View Post
During this Pandemic, people are driving less. The price of a gallon of oil is down to $40 (I believe). That is because demand is low and supply is high. Thus low prices. So, plastic manufacturers have plenty of raw material to work with. In the future, the world will move increasingly toward clean energy and renewable resources. Science is most likely working on ways to produce plastics from - who knows wood pulp, seaweed, or whatever.

The world functioned in 1030 and 1940 without plastic anyway. I worry more about clean air than fewer plastics. Those are my priorities.
Hemp can be made stronger than steel.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:36 AM

No one said they were shutting down the oil industry. It will takes years to slowly move away from oil, which will be replaced with another energy saving industry which will create new jobs and a cleaner environment. Fear mongering.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

If we shut down the oil industry or raise the price of oil, the price of EVERYTHING that we buy will increase. Oil is used to either manufacture or transport EVERY PRODUCT that we buy. The price of oil is factored into those prices.

Fossil fuels are inexpensive and plentiful. Converting to some other power source will cause massive inflation. In addition, it would put tens of thousands of people out of work.

In case people don't realize it, many other power sources require fossil fuels to create them. Coal and oil plants create a lot of our electricity. Some electric car charging stations are power by diesel. The damage to the environment caused by the manufacture and disposal batteries may be worse than the damage done by the fossil fuels that they are trying to replace.

Changing over from oil is a much bigger deal and much more complicated than many people realize.

What of the millions of people that are driving 10-20 year old cars and cannot afford to buy a new electric vehicle?

Increasing the price of oil or eliminating altogether will hurt the poorest among us the most.

All that and we don't even know for sure if it will change the environment enough to make any kind of significant difference.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Closed Thread

Tags
made, plastic, significantly, oil, industry

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.