Auto insurance comparison of 8 companies

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2020, 04:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
The Allstate Mayhem gives a lot of good examples, but the best thing is ask for the list of exclusions. They must spell them out very clearly. "They are on the hook, unless they exclude them."
I'll self-insure my own "mayhem" for $1300 savings a year. Been buying auto insurance for over 55 years and never suffered a loss that was excluded. As for Allstate I had a bad experience with them home insurance related maybe 40 years ago when they actually had independent offices in Sears and swore I would NEVER give them a penny again but since they always seem to be twice as high as the competition that exclusion was easy.
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I had a 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary Edition with USAA and it was $425 every six months. I had been with them since 2010 and no accidents. In 2018 I traded the Camaro for a 2018 Hyunda Kona, so I traded a $40,000 sports car for a new $24,000 small SUV. They raised my insurance to $500 every six months. When I called to asked why, they couldn't explain it.

I called AAA and they quoted me $405 for six months, so I switched to them. They actually sent me a check back for about $40 a few months ago, some of kind rebate, and I just got another email 5 minutes ago, they rebating me $27 for the Stay at Home discount. I'm pretty happy with AAA. You have to join the AAA Road Club, it's $66 a year, but you get benefits for being a member.
Old 05-27-2020, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Yes, and I would verify all of the quotes regarding the term of the policy. There are a few companies who sell 12 month policies, but most of them only sell 6 month auto policies.
YES, I was very aware of that. As in my OP: "If my quote was based on 6 months I just doubled it."
Old 05-27-2020, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I had a 2017 Camaro 50th Anniversary Edition with USAA and it was $425 every six months. I had been with them since 2010 and no accidents. In 2018 I traded the Camaro for a 2018 Hyunda Kona, so I traded a $40,000 sports car for a new $24,000 small SUV. They raised my insurance to $500 every six months. When I called to asked why, they couldn't explain it.

I called AAA and they quoted me $405 for six months, so I switched to them. They actually sent me a check back for about $40 a few months ago, some of kind rebate, and I just got another email 5 minutes ago, they rebating me $27 for the Stay at Home discount. I'm pretty happy with AAA. You have to join the AAA Road Club, it's $66 a year, but you get benefits for being a member.
Been there, done that. They were almost twice (home & auto combined) what I was quoted from Villages Insurance when we moved in here 3 years ago and first looked for FL insurance. We were with the same company in NJ for 33 years, I miss them almost as much as Wegmans, FIOS & (a local) Costco just 2 miles away. They ONLY insured in NJ. I paid for 2 new cars the same as for 1 down here with top coverage including million dollar liability and NJ was top highest rates in the US especially in our county. Never an increase for a ticket or accident unless you had more than 2 a year and NEVER drop anyone plus every few months we'd get a $100-$150 "dividend check.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post

Without knowing your exact coverages on either vehicle there would be no way to tell if either quote was a bargain or just low due to lower coverages.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Without knowing your exact coverages on either vehicle there would be no way to tell if either quote was a bargain or just low due to lower coverages.
I used the same coverage amounts everytime, I tried Progressive, and several others and AAA was the best price.

I don't have my home with AAA, they were only $20 a year cheaper. I did get rid of American Integrity at the same time. My CYV went from $505 a year in 2011 to $985 last year. When I looked it was 5 times they raised my premiums in 8 years. So last year, I called Villages Insurance they put me with Cabrillo Coastal Insurance out of Miami. I got actually better coverage, because the sink hole is only 10% deductible whereas American Integrity was 15%. It was only $575, a saving of over $400. I just got my new bill today, it will be $619, it went up about $45, but still a long way from $985, plus I've heard lately that American Integrity has been hedging on paying off loses on roofs and other items, so I'm glad I ditched them.
Old 05-27-2020, 05:17 PM
Sage

Just added AAA. Had forgotten about them. They came in second at $940 if 1yr pd in full or $1010/yr ($505 x 2)
Old 05-27-2020, 06:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

When you have had New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance who now also serves Pennsylvania I would say a person could be classified as ruined for life as far as Insurance concerned. Low Premiums, Pennies From Heaven, Rebates twice a year from your Homeowners and Auto Insurance. They plan to expand their operation slowly going south on the east coast so we'll never see them in my lifetime.

Our car with a $1200 claim in October of 2018 has been raised from $1050 per year to about $1650 a year for similar coverage that the Op noted and our car is in the same price range when purchased. I'm not happy. I'm not jumping from company to company every year to save a couple of nickels either. I also have a bad feeling about Progressive. I have no link or article to show you but they are not for me.

So far for me, State farm is leading the Parade for our business, and Geico is going to get another chance this minute.

Nice Thread! Considered putting N.J. plates on the car but that would be fraud and I don't wanna be involved in any such activity.

N.J.M would give coverage for a year for the same price as 6 months' costs in Florida. I'd still rather live here and pay the freight on the Insurance and save on the Property taxes. Can't win in every category.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
When you have had New Jersey Manufacturers Insurance who now also serves Pennsylvania I would say a person could be classified as ruined for life as far as Insurance concerned. Low Premiums, Pennies From Heaven, Rebates twice a year from your Homeowners and Auto Insurance. They plan to expand their operation slowly going south on the east coast so we'll never see them in my lifetime.

Our car with a $1200 claim in October of 2018 has been raised from $1050 per year to about $1650 a year for similar coverage that the Op noted and our car is in the same price range when purchased. I'm not happy. I'm not jumping from company to company every year to save a couple of nickels either. I also have a bad feeling about Progressive. I have no link or article to show you but they are not for me.

So far for me, State farm is leading the Parade for our business, and Geico is going to get another chance this minute.

Nice Thread! Considered putting N.J. plates on the car but that would be fraud and I don't wanna be involved in any such activity.

N.J.M would give coverage for a year for the same price as 6 months' costs in Florida. I'd still rather live here and pay the freight on the Insurance and save on the Property taxes. Can't win in every category.

Yes, I so miss NJM. They even paid a $20,000 homeowners claim 3 months after I switched to their homeowners policy when we had a back roof collapse after those 3 snow storms in a row and didn't raise me one penny and kept on sending "dividends." Amazing company. My taxes here for a year are almost what my NJ taxes were for a month. LOL (very slight hyperbole)

You said you had a recent $1200 claim. That will probably raise your quotes down here by a few hundred bucks easy. Here they look back 5 years. I guess with the "older" median age in FL that is their reasoning.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Only caution is try and fully understand how their claim systems works......have a friend in PA that switched to Geico, had an accident, Geico would only approve used parts (car was 5 years old). It took 4 months to get it sorted out and the only way he got anything was to post it on social media. Then another 2 months to get it repaired. As Ben Franklin stated “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 05-27-2020, 09:46 PM
Default You are wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Just a comment. I think your uninsured motorist coverage is way too high. Do you know how much you are paying for it and what it covers? It is required in some states, but it is not required in Florida. Basically, it duplicates the health insurance that you already have, and doesn't provide you with any liability coverage at all. Also, if you are injured in an accident, your auto insurance company will become your primary health insurance provider, not Medicare. I believe in having good liability coverage, but I don't have any uninsured motorist insurance at all.
Uninsured motorist coverage is not health insurance. It kicks in if you are hit by an uninsured driver. We were hit by an uninsured driver, our insurance paid the repair of our car, the hospital bills and another $250,000 for pain and suffering. If we didn't have uninsured driver coverage we would have had to pay for it all ourselves, the guy was a renter, owned nothing and had no savings. It's cheap enough and believe me if you need it, you'll be happy you have it. Florida has one of the highest uninsured motorists rate of drivers in the country.
Old 05-27-2020, 10:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Only caution is try and fully understand how their claim systems works......have a friend in PA that switched to Geico, had an accident, Geico would only approve used parts (car was 5 years old). It took 4 months to get it sorted out and the only way he got anything was to post it on social media. Then another 2 months to get it repaired. As Ben Franklin stated “The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.”
Are you referring to USED parts or AFTERMARKET (non-OEM) parts? I would find it difficult to believe that used parts are their modus operandi or you can be sure it would be plastered on every corner of the web. I'm sure there can be bad experiences for just about any company in any industry. That being said, to save $1000+ a year for me it might be worth taking the chance. One could always switch companies again. For me personally as long as it looked like new when installed that's all I'd really care about.
Old 05-28-2020, 12:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,714 Times in 5,243 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagesgal View Post
Uninsured motorist coverage is not health insurance. It kicks in if you are hit by an uninsured driver. We were hit by an uninsured driver, our insurance paid the repair of our car, the hospital bills and another $250,000 for pain and suffering. If we didn't have uninsured driver coverage we would have had to pay for it all ourselves, the guy was a renter, owned nothing and had no savings. It's cheap enough and believe me if you need it, you'll be happy you have it. Florida has one of the highest uninsured motorists rate of drivers in the country.
In the case you described, the uninsured motorist insurance would not be needed to repair your car or to pay the hospital bills. Those would have been covered by your collison insurance and by your health insurance or Medicare. The "pain and suffering" part would have been covered by the uninsured motorist insurance. But, I don't want to pay for "pain and suffering" insurance because, in most cases, you need to hire someone like Dan Newlin to sue your own insurance company to collect it. Some people may disagree, but I would rather pay for a higher level of liability coverage and forgo the uninsured motorist coverage. Many people mistakenly think that uninsured motorist insurance provides personal liability coverage, but it doesn't. I have a very high level of liability coverage, but I have no uninsured motorist insurance.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 05-28-2020 at 05:42 AM.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkeowner View Post
If you or almost any family member have ever served in the military you should include USAA in your search to see if you are eligible. While I haven't done so in a few years, when I called GEICO in the past for a quote and they learned I was currently with USAA they stated they could not beat USAA's prices.
We had been with USAA for a long time. My real estate agent suggested we look at The Villages Insurance. For the first time ever, someone beat USAA on both car and home owners insurance. I studied it hard thinking it could not be true but comparing apples to apples The Villages Insurance was lower on both for the same coverage.
Old 05-28-2020, 04:49 AM
Sage

We use Geico and have been with them for over 20 years,
Basic$ 250/500 K
No uninsured motorist
$500 ded collision/comp
Big plus with Geico is we have a mega umbrella tied with our policy
cars:
2016 E class
2018 SL
Closed Thread

Tags
policy, coverages, based, year, companies

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.