Banks that won't take my cash

Closed Thread
Old 04-19-2019, 07:39 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

After 65 years of life my money is now trash. Still in shock. I can take that same $100. bill and go out to eat...I think....
Old 04-19-2019, 09:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
After 65 years of life my money is now trash. Still in shock. I can take that same $100. bill and go out to eat...I think....
I don't know about that Bay Kid, you may end up washing dishes cause not every restaurant takes $100 bills either. You just can't win. What a damn shame!
Old 04-19-2019, 09:41 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

American Airline still takes cash. Not long ago I was at the Miami airport and some sleazy looking guy at the first class counter peeled $100s off a huge wad of bills to buy a ticket. My guess is he was a bag man for a cartel. Do the banks in Miami still take grocery bags of cash brought in after hours?

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 04-19-2019, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

[QUOTE=Bay Kid;1643040]My son in NC needed $300 put in his checking account at Wells Fargo bank. I don't have an account with them so I went down the road to deposit the $300. with cash instead of a 3rd party check.

To my surprise "we don't take cash"??? I had to go get my checkbook from the 3rd party bank which they accepted.

A bank that won't take cash???

I guess our cash ain't nothing but trash![/QUOTE

You really need to let the ink dry giggle]
Old 04-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
You really need to let the ink dry giggle
I upgraded to a higher quality printer.

I just call it..."my personal quantitative easing policy."

Besides, Mickey Mouse makes for a better looking bill...than Benjamin Franklin.

Old 04-19-2019, 01:49 PM

So judging from all the comments, I guess cash is no longer King!
Old 04-19-2019, 02:21 PM

I've used most of the services that have been mentioned here (Paypal, Venmo, Zelle, MoneyMover, Facebook Messenger, etc...) and I also consult with a financial institution.

Here are my thoughts:

- Credit unions are regulated differently than banks and often have to live up to a higher standard. If you need to deposit money into an account that isn't yours, then do it through the night deposit box. They are not really allowed to let anyone make a deposit (via check or cash) into an account that they don't own. Banks have less stringent requirements.

- You should always try to think proactively about the (potential) needs of your family. If you already have the Zelle, Paypal, Electronic Funds Transfer methods set up, then you never need to worry when an emergency requires a transfer. You can simply transfer money without a fuss.

Since all of our children are grown but still live close by in NY, we also have a credit card account that we don't use but have made the kids authorized users on. In the event of an emergency, they can access their own card from our home. (They each have a key.) We never told them about the cards and we've never had an emergency that required us to share their location. Still, it is nice to know that we have the means to help them.

One last thing... Another possibility to assist in an emergency is to have a single bank account with a national bank and list the family members on it. You can keep just enough money in it to keep it open and then make a small deposit twice per year to keep it active. In an emergency, you can go and deposit funds to assist in an emergency and your relative can retrieve it without issue.

Last edited by themartianchick; 04-19-2019 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-20-2019, 07:56 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by themartianchick View Post
I've used most of the services that have been mentioned here (Paypal, Venmo, Zelle, MoneyMover, Facebook Messenger, etc...) and I also consult with a financial institution.

Here are my thoughts:

- Credit unions are regulated differently than banks and often have to live up to a higher standard. If you need to deposit money into an account that isn't yours, then do it through the night deposit box. They are not really allowed to let anyone make a deposit (via check or cash) into an account that they don't own. Banks have less stringent requirements.

- You should always try to think proactively about the (potential) needs of your family. If you already have the Zelle, Paypal, Electronic Funds Transfer methods set up, then you never need to worry when an emergency requires a transfer. You can simply transfer money without a fuss.

Since all of our children are grown but still live close by in NY, we also have a credit card account that we don't use but have made the kids authorized users on. In the event of an emergency, they can access their own card from our home. (They each have a key.) We never told them about the cards and we've never had an emergency that required us to share their location. Still, it is nice to know that we have the means to help them.

One last thing... Another possibility to assist in an emergency is to have a single bank account with a national bank and list the family members on it. You can keep just enough money in it to keep it open and then make a small deposit twice per year to keep it active. In an emergency, you can go and deposit funds to assist in an emergency and your relative can retrieve it without issue.
Thanks for all that advice. I just wanted to get him money that day. Not something I need to do often or at all. I don't do ANY electronic banking and I don't intend to start now.

It is a bank. They, of all people, should be able to check 3 $100. bills to see if it is trash or not.

It was just cash.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:10 AM
Sage

Quote:
Thanks for all that advice. I just wanted to get him money that day. Not something I need to do often or at all. I don't do ANY electronic banking and I don't intend to start now.

It is a bank. They, of all people, should be able to check 3 $100. bills to see if it is trash or not.

It was just cash.

I used to share that viewpoint, but after finding out how convenient and easy it is to electronically pay bills (especially when being out of town)...have since completely changed my mind.

The ONE THING I will never do though...is to set up automatic payments.

I've heard too many horror stories of how hard it has been for some people to stop them...once the auto-pays are no longer applicable.

I do enjoy setting up my recurring bills through 'bill pay' (BOA) though, then determining on which day...I want them to be paid.

It takes very little initial effort to set them up and then I can control it...from anywhere I happen to be.
Old 04-20-2019, 08:24 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:

It was just cash.
I don't think it's about counterfeit bills. It's about depositing cash (not a check} into someone's else's account. It could be thought of as money laundering. And if you think about it it makes sense.
Steve
Old 04-20-2019, 09:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
I used to share that viewpoint, but after finding out how convenient and easy it is to electronically pay bills (especially when being out of town)...have since completely changed my mind.

The ONE THING I will never do though...is to set up automatic payments.

I've heard too many horror stories of how hard it has been for some people to stop them...once the auto-pays are no longer applicable.

I do enjoy setting up my recurring bills through 'bill pay' (BOA) though, then determining on which day...I want them to be paid.

It takes very little initial effort to set them up and then I can control it...from anywhere I happen to be.[/SIZE]
I agree about the automatic payments, but, in the future, you may not be able to avoid it. For example, the Xfinity Mobile cell phone service requires auto pay. So does Dean's. I refused to sign up for Dean's lawn service service because of it. I recently signed up for Netflix because I can get it on my Comcast bill, but otherwise, I would not be a customer because they require auto pay.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 04-20-2019 at 09:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2019, 09:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree about the automatic payments, but, in the future, you may not be able to avoid it. For example, the Xfinity Mobile cell phone service requires auto pay. So does Dean's. I refused to sign up for Dean's lawn service service because of it. I recently signed up for Netfix because I can get it on my Comcast bill, but otherwise, I would not be a customer because they require auto pay.

Yep...totally agree.

I will personally refuse to sign up for anything...that 'requires' auto-pay.

I get the allure for businesses, in guaranteeing that they get paid on time, but the plethora of horror stories of getting these withdrawals stopped in a timely manner...makes me very leery of them.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I will do auto pay through a credit card, but nobody, I mean nobody, gets access to our checking accounts.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Always interesting to see the positions taken on the advancement of technology. As my wife often said, she is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 21st century, but as she gets there she is excited about what it does for her......after three years of my depositing checks via smartphone she finally tried it last month and loves it. As mentioned earlier, we will all get there at some point...some just sooner than others.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-20-2019, 10:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I will do auto pay through a credit card, but nobody, I mean nobody, gets access to our checking accounts.
Good point, because at least with a CC...you have options to question/protest the charge(s).

In fact, you just reminded me that I actually have the same thing set up by credit card...on one of my monthly accounts.

That being the massive $8 a month, to the TheVillages-dot-net...for access to tee times.

But that be...the ONLY one.

The other great thing I like about 'online bill pay,' is being able to immediately transfer money to any credit card charges I might make (once they are no longer 'pending' that is)...and not taking a chance of getting caught in their billing period and paying any CC interest.

Which really goes against my grain.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 04-20-2019 at 11:01 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
cash, bank, 3rd, account, $300

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.