Barkley/ O'Neal face backlash for breaking from the pack

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2020, 10:02 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts
Default Barkley/ O'Neal face backlash for breaking from the pack

Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal voiced their opinion on national TV about the Breonna Taylor case. They're facing severe backlash for voicing an opinion that is opposed to many progressives.

"I feel just bad the young lady lost her life, but we do have to take into account her boyfriend did shoot at the cops and shot a cop," Barkley said during pregame coverage of the NBA's Western Conference Finals.

O'Neal agreed with Barkley and argued that while "no-knock warrants" should be abolished, the officers involved were simply following orders.

"A homicide occurred, and we're sorry a homicide did occur, but if you have a warrant signed by a judge, you are doing your job. And if someone fires at you, I would imagine that you would fire back," O'Neal said.

Barkley then took a stance against defunding the police.

"I'm like, 'Wait a minute.' Who are Black people supposed to call? Ghostbusters, when we have crime in our neighborhoods? We need police reform," he said.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Hopefully they will not have any problems for expressing their opinions.

Sad when people give an opinion and the black community turns on them when most people will agree with them.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:33 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

With the help of the media their lies help to destroy our country.
Old 09-27-2020, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,015 Times in 1,009 Posts

the key word being media. they assume everyone agrees with them, or even worse, attempt to manipulate public opinion through questionable reporting
Old 09-27-2020, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

I would bet neither will succumb to peer or media pressure and recapitulate.....like too many do!
Old 09-27-2020, 07:37 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Sad when people give an opinion and the black community turns on them when most people will agree with them.

I'm hoping, and truly believe, it's not the black community..............it's the vocal minority voice within the black community (but I know what you are saying).
Old 09-27-2020, 09:28 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwoods View Post
Charles Barkley and Shaquille O'Neal voiced their opinion on national TV about the Breonna Taylor case. They're facing severe backlash for voicing an opinion that is opposed to many progressives.

"I feel just bad the young lady lost her life, but we do have to take into account her boyfriend did shoot at the cops and shot a cop," Barkley said during pregame coverage of the NBA's Western Conference Finals.

O'Neal agreed with Barkley and argued that while "no-knock warrants" should be abolished, the officers involved were simply following orders.

"A homicide occurred, and we're sorry a homicide did occur, but if you have a warrant signed by a judge, you are doing your job. And if someone fires at you, I would imagine that you would fire back," O'Neal said.

"I'm like, 'Wait a minute.' Who are Black people supposed to call? Ghostbusters, when we have crime in our neighborhoods? We need police reform," he said.
Most black people are honest and hardworking and realize some changes in police procedures are necessary (abolish no knock warrants and reduce drug sentences) but not defunding the police. It’s the media that is trying to divide the races.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
Most black people are honest and hardworking and realize some changes in police procedures are necessary (abolish no knock warrants and reduce drug sentences) but not defunding the police. It’s the media that is trying to divide the races.
I must agree except for the media part, but had to post since we agree on the substance of the issue.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
I'm hoping, and truly believe, it's not the black community..............it's the vocal minority voice within the black community (but I know what you are saying).
You are spot on, and those who make these general crushing statements are simply making a bad situation horrific
Old 09-27-2020, 09:43 AM
Sage

Quote:

I agree with their comments and need to note that the "backlash" appears to be on that dreaded "social media"

There may be someone quoted who said something, but the bulk if nor 99% of that backlash is on "social media" which means not very much.
Old 09-27-2020, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Very true
Old 09-27-2020, 03:18 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Why then don't people on this forum ever acknowledge that. It is always "they", "them" or "those" type refrains ?
We are talking about two different groups. The majority of hard working , honest blacks who have a justified complaint against the justice system and the minority of black habitual criminals who are referred to as “they” if I understand what you are saying. There is no systematic racial bias by the police according to a multi year study by a university task force. There are, however, changes to the justice system that need to be made.
1. decriminalize drug use.
2. treat drug use as a mental health issue realizing
that some drugs can result in violent behavior
that will involve the police.
3. Develop methods of subduing a suspect that result
in less harm both to suspect and officer.
4. Update criminal justice computer systems so errors
like just happened won’t be repeated.
5. Allow police to use tear gas and water cannons
in riot control.
6. Make city government officials liable for failure to
protect residents and businesses.
7. Weed out officers who have a tendency to excessive
violence. Police and courts will decide what is
excessive not BLM.
8. The media will be liable for inciting a riot.
9. Abolish no knock warrants.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
We are talking about two different groups. The majority of hard working , honest blacks who have a justified complaint against the justice system and the minority of black habitual criminals who are referred to as “they” if I understand what you are saying. There is no systematic racial bias by the police according to a multi year study by a university task force. There are, however, changes to the justice system that need to be made.
in riot control.
excessive not BLM.
Well said but not sure about #9.

If police are in the process of arresting an armed criminal why should they have to knock first?
Old 09-27-2020, 05:13 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,376 Times in 499 Posts

Quote:

Old 09-27-2020, 05:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
in riot control.
excessive not BLM.
My apologies....most posts, not on this thread but generally, seemed to use the words I repeated and made no mention of any changes to justice system.

I will certainly pay more attention to avert misstating what I consider generalizations that are deragatory.
Closed Thread

Tags
barkley, oneal, police, backlash, homicide

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.