Barkley/ O'Neal face backlash for breaking from the pack

Closed Thread
Old 09-27-2020, 05:24 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Well said but not sure about #9.

If police are in the process of arresting an armed criminal why should they have to knock first?
If they KNOW an armed criminal is in the building then by all means capture them.

This killing of Briana Taylor was on a no knock warrant and the criminal they wanted to arrest was already in custody. I do not blame the police but it is better to err on the side of safety.

However I do believe in shooting of fleeing criminals.

I have read of too many cases where the police had the wrong address and killed an innocent person, by accident. Again mistakes can happen. Err on the safe side.

Many of us in The Villages are armed and if someone pounds on our door to break in they will risk being shot. My understanding is we could be charged with a crime even if we felt our lives were threatened if an officer was hurt.

A lot of the no knock warrants are to prevent destruction of evidence like drugs which I understand. But the risk of losing evidence is better than killing innocent people at the wrong address which has happened too often. Again I am not blaming the police who are following procedure but the procedure needs to be modified.

Last edited by John41; 09-27-2020 at 05:49 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:

If police are in the process of arresting an armed criminal why should they have to knock first?
I do not agree with #9; the Police have to have the element of surprise when going in a location where a known armed criminal is at.

What do you people that want to abolish no knock warrants expect the Police to do, take a social worker along?
Old 09-27-2020, 06:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
If they KNOW an armed criminal is in the building then by all means capture them.

This killing of Briana Taylor was on a no knock warrant and the criminal they wanted to arrest was already in custody. I do not blame the police but it is better to err on the side of safety.

However I do believe in shooting of fleeing criminals.

I have read of too many cases where the police had the wrong address and killed an innocent person, by accident. Again mistakes can happen. Err on the safe side.

Many of us in The Villages are armed and if someone pounds on our door to break in they will risk being shot. My understanding is we could be charged with a crime even if we felt our lives were threatened if an officer was hurt.

A lot of the no knock warrants are to prevent destruction of evidence like drugs which I understand. But the risk of losing evidence is better than killing innocent people at the wrong address which has happened too often. Again I am not blaming the police who are following procedure but the procedure needs to be modified.
Something I was taught by the police in Va.

If someone is threatening to break in and you have to shoot better that he is found inside your house.
Old 09-27-2020, 09:31 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
Why then don't people on this forum ever acknowledge that. It is always "they", "them" or "those" type refrains ?
People on this forum point out groups that are agitators, destructive and hateful. Someone who burns down a business that a person used their life savings to create... they are destructive and hateful. They might be black... or white.
I have friends that are black, asian, indian (muslim and Islamic), European.... My heart ached for my colleagues who were from India after 911. They looked the same as the terrorists, so as they traveled people were afraid of them and didn't want to be on the same flight as them. Yet I knew they were wonderful peaceful people. (Sound familiar?)
Old 09-28-2020, 09:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:

They shouldn't!
Old 09-28-2020, 10:11 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

I am very pro law enforcement but I have never supported no-knock warrants. They are dangerous for the police and the occupants of the domicile being raided. There have been too many incidents of the wrong home being raided resulting in innocent people being killed. A lot of no-knock warrants are on drug houses or the homes of drug dealers. Police use under cover officers or informants to purchase drugs from the dealer to establish the fact illegal drug selling is occurring. The excuse for the no-knock raid is to keep the dealers from disposing of drugs on the premises in an announced raid. They already have the drugs that they purchased from the dealer for evidence in a trial for drug dealing so any found in the premises won't affect the fact they were selling drugs. My opinion on no-knock raids is that it is a flashy, shock and awe dog and pony show for the media and the politicians to beat their chests claiming how much the support law and order. A good example is the raid on the Branch Davidians compound to arrest David Koresh. It was widely know that Koresh spent time in Waco, TX conducting business and the police could have arrested him at any time on a city street with no problem. The authorities wanted a media spectacle so they conducted a raid that resulted in the deaths of many misguided innocent people, including small children. Too many police departments have developed a militaristic mind set when dealing with crime and the tragedies caused by the no-knock raids only create a distrust of the police.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Chuck and Shack are good analysts because they say it like it is, not what people want tp hear.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:50 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John41 View Post
We are talking about two different groups. The majority of hard working , honest blacks who have a justified complaint against the justice system and the minority of black habitual criminals who are referred to as “they” if I understand what you are saying. There is no systematic racial bias by the police according to a multi year study by a university task force. There are, however, changes to the justice system that need to be made.
1. decriminalize drug use.
2. treat drug use as a mental health issue realizing
that some drugs can result in violent behavior
that will involve the police.
3. Develop methods of subduing a suspect that result
in less harm both to suspect and officer.
4. Update criminal justice computer systems so errors
like just happened won’t be repeated.
5. Allow police to use tear gas and water cannons
in riot control.
6. Make city government officials liable for failure to
protect residents and businesses.
7. Weed out officers who have a tendency to excessive
violence. Police and courts will decide what is
excessive not BLM.
8. The media will be liable for inciting a riot.
9. Abolish no knock warrants.
The only minor thing I would add. Perhaps and addendum to #7. My opinion the police union is too strong. There has to be an easier, more efficient way to weed out poor performing officers.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:00 AM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
I am very pro law enforcement but I have never supported no-knock warrants. They are dangerous for the police and the occupants of the domicile being raided. There have been too many incidents of the wrong home being raided resulting in innocent people being killed. A lot of no-knock warrants are on drug houses or the homes of drug dealers. Police use under cover officers or informants to purchase drugs from the dealer to establish the fact illegal drug selling is occurring. The excuse for the no-knock raid is to keep the dealers from disposing of drugs on the premises in an announced raid. They already have the drugs that they purchased from the dealer for evidence in a trial for drug dealing so any found in the premises won't affect the fact they were selling drugs. My opinion on no-knock raids is that it is a flashy, shock and awe dog and pony show for the media and the politicians to beat their chests claiming how much the support law and order. A good example is the raid on the Branch Davidians compound to arrest David Koresh. It was widely know that Koresh spent time in Waco, TX conducting business and the police could have arrested him at any time on a city street with no problem. The authorities wanted a media spectacle so they conducted a raid that resulted in the deaths of many misguided innocent people, including small children. Too many police departments have developed a militaristic mind set when dealing with crime and the tragedies caused by the no-knock raids only create a distrust of the police.
I’m pro police, law and order but agree no knock warrants cause too many needless deaths like Briana Taylor. She was a young woman employed as an EMT and going to school to become a nurse. She was needlessly killed on a no knock warrant to arrest a drug dealer ALREADY IN POLICE CUSTODY. How would you feel if it were your daughter killed needlessly. I am not blaming the police because they were following procedure. But so many police departments have abandoned no knock warrants because of tragedies like Briana Taylor why not prohibit them everywhere except in very special cases such as hostage negotiations.

Also as a strict constructionist I believe no knock warrants violate the 4th amendment to the Constitution.

Last edited by John41; 09-28-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 09-28-2020, 11:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Hopefully they will not have any problems for expressing their opinions.

Sad when people give an opinion and the black community turns on them when most people will agree with them.
The black community are basically not registering what actually happened in this case. They have their fingers in their ears and shouting la, la, la, la, la, la, la when it is pointed out to them that the police were fired on first. It is either that or they are just ignorant.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The black community are basically not registering what actually happened in this case. They have their fingers in their ears and shouting la, la, la, la, la, la, la when it is pointed out to them that the police were fired on first. It is either that or they are just ignorant.
I don't think it is even remotely the Black community as a whole. It is really BLM and the liberal media that is driving a lot of the current issues between people.

For example, if someone calls out BLM, that person must either be a racist (if white) or an Uncle Tom (if black). BLM leadership preaches it and the liberal media, looking for ratings or clicks blow it up to "real news" when in fact it is not.

A number of black people have come out rejecting the hyperbole and claims of the two instigator groups (BLM and media), and what do they get for it? Criticized and name-calling.

Go back almost 30 years ago and Rodney King had it right - "Can we all just get along? "

All these years later and it feels worse, not better.
Old 09-28-2020, 01:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,386 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
I don't think it is even remotely the Black community as a whole. It is really BLM and the liberal media that is driving a lot of the current issues between people.

For example, if someone calls out BLM, that person must either be a racist (if white) or an Uncle Tom (if black). BLM leadership preaches it and the liberal media, looking for ratings or clicks blow it up to "real news" when in fact it is not.

A number of black people have come out rejecting the hyperbole and claims of the two instigator groups (BLM and media), and what do they get for it? Criticized and name-calling.

Go back almost 30 years ago and Rodney King had it right - "Can we all just get along? "

All these years later and it feels worse, not better.
And always trumpeted by the special interest groups and amplified by the media to make it sound as though what is happening represents "the black community" when it does not!!!
Old 09-28-2020, 01:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,022 Times in 5,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
And always trumpeted by the special interest groups and amplified by the media to make it sound as though what is happening represents "the black community" when it does not!!!
Very true
Old 09-28-2020, 03:26 PM
John41

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
The police broke into a house on a no knock warrant ( what happened to the 4th amendment ) the resident fired one shot as any armed homeowner would do ( 2nd amendment) and in return the police fire 32 bullets killing an innocent woman while the criminal was already in custody. This is a major cluster F***
The officers were following procedure and are not at fault but no knock warrants need to be abolished. If someone can’t recognize the difference between this incident and the Floyd case where an armed thug with a criminal record, high on meth whose death was his own fault, then they are in la la land.

No knock warrants could someday be used against political opponents in the not too distant future as some justices are making up their own law instead of following the constitution. The founding father recognized the importance of unreasonable search and seizure based on history.

Last edited by John41; 09-28-2020 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-28-2020, 03:54 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,596 Times in 1,759 Posts

The officers may have obtained a no-knock warrant but they both knocked and announced themselves, apparently twice. Officers did knock before Breonna Taylor shooting, investigation finds | FOX 2

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
barkley, oneal, police, backlash, homicide

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.