Becoming a lawyer without law school.

Closed Thread
Old 04-10-2019, 08:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts
Default Becoming a lawyer without law school.

FAQ | Like Lincoln

I found this quite interesting.

There were not that many law schools prior to 1840 or so. Tracing legal education 19th century style | The Legal Genealogist
Old 04-10-2019, 09:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

There are plenty of Home Made Lawyers on TOTV'S who post daily. I'm guilty sometimes. I do know who's lawyer I'm going to call if I ever get jammed up. The Firm is in Chicago.
Old 04-11-2019, 03:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
There are plenty of Home Made Lawyers on TOTV'S who post daily. I'm guilty sometimes. I do know who's lawyer I'm going to call if I ever get jammed up. The Firm is in Chicago.
I actually did talk to a Tampa/Chicago law firm back around 2003 but decided on a different option that the one offered by them. Honey is better than vinegar.

My godfather is a WI lawyer who the last I looked is still practicing around age 85.

Anyone with a legal issue should use their local law libraries especially if there is one like the U of FL available to them. Dig into what is out there. Lots available through the Law Library of Congress.

And you might learn something new. I do all the time and have read four degrees worth of books, scholarly articles and the like.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:38 AM

California is one of the states that admit people to the bar who do not have from a JD degree from an ABA approved law school. Florida is not one of them. PDF.js viewer
Old 04-11-2019, 06:53 AM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

I just read an article that Kim Kardashian is studying to be a lawyer in California without law school.

Kim Kardashian aims to become a lawyer in same unusual way as Abraham Lincoln - syracuse.com
Old 04-11-2019, 08:19 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post
I just read an article that Kim Kardashian is studying to be a lawyer in California without law school.

Kim Kardashian aims to become a lawyer in same unusual way as Abraham Lincoln - syracuse.com
I saw that too. She seems to be well with the tests she is taking.

It took me years to get my JD from the U of MN in 1989 but I had gone to BYU Law school in 1982 and was very challenged by the law library part of the First Year. I was only at BYU for ten days and decided to get a MA in Librarianship first and then maybe go back after working somewhere. Did get the MA from the University of Denver in May of 1984. Worked for a publishing company for almost two years near San Francisco and then started at U of MN. Wanted to become a law librarian.

I had met a lot of law students at BYU, some at the University of Denver in the Graduate Student apartments and many the almost five years I was connected to the U of MN Law School and Library. Worked at the law library for two years after I graduated in 1989.

Hope Kim Kardashian makes it. The CA Bar is one of the hardest to pass.

Law librarians are not allowed to practice law in their law libraries and often move around a lot. I did take the MN bar twice but missed the cut with a 251 out of a 260 needed to pass the second time but was moving out of MN right after that anyway.

Never tried the CA bar when I lived there and so no need to take the FL bar during the 23 years I have lived here.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

As the old saying goes: "everyone hates/reviles lawyers...until they need one."

Then they want the meanest, toughest one...they can afford.

An old lawyer golf buddy of mine, who charged top scale, once told me that his favorite words/attitude from a client were: "It's not the money...it's the principle."
Old 04-11-2019, 08:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
As the old saying goes: "everyone hates/reviles lawyers...until they need one."
I know a lot of people who like lawyers some actually love some of them.

Kardashian could do good work with a legal license.

I have had some problems with various lawyers but that was more about small town politics here in Florida.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I know a lot of people who like lawyers some actually love some of them.

"Family"...doesn't count.

J/K
Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
"Family"...doesn't count.

J/K
Actually the only lawyer in my family was my great grandfather Trueblood on my mother's side who was a railroad lawyer and became some kind of leader in getting materials to the troops during WWII via the trains. He probably was in his 50s in the 1940s.
He married a Stimson. My great uncle talked about the Secretary of War Henry L. Stimson being around at times but I do not know if I should believe that. My great grandfather did important work though and had a high rank in the Army in the 1940s in WWII.

My great uncle did like to stretch stories quite a bit though. Henry L. Stimson was a lawyer but I am not sure if we are any relation at all.

My godfather is a lawyer but I have not seen him in 50 years.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:55 AM
Default American legal system

My experience-
The system for better or worse forces you to hire an attorney for a court case. You end up paying roughly $300 per hour. Even if you win, you will be in a hole.
The other option is contingency. The attorney will not even take a case unless it is a sure win. You will pay all the expenses and the attorney will take a third of the total.

I have no experience with the English System but from what I think I know, you appear before a judge. In theory he knows the law and is not influenced by the fact that you are charming, good looking, remind him of his father etc. Oh and if someone sues you and looses, they have to pay your legal costs. HUM-far fewer cases and far lower percentage of attorneys in England.

Example of what is wrong. Our current issue-sexual harassment. What is the common link for all the men being charged? Right or wrong is not the question I asked.
The common link is deep pockets.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
My experience-
The system for better or worse forces you to hire an attorney for a court case. You end up paying roughly $300 per hour. Even if you win, you will be in a hole.
The other option is contingency. The attorney will not even take a case unless it is a sure win. You will pay all the expenses and the attorney will take a third of the total.

I have no experience with the English System but from what I think I know, you appear before a judge. In theory he knows the law and is not influenced by the fact that you are charming, good looking, remind him of his father etc. Oh and if someone sues you and looses, they have to pay your legal costs. HUM-far fewer cases and far lower percentage of attorneys in England.

Example of what is wrong. Our current issue-sexual harassment. What is the common link for all the men being charged? Right or wrong is not the question I asked.
Can you validate your claims or is this heresay ?
Old 04-11-2019, 09:30 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
My experience-

So you are from/live in...England/GB?
Old 04-11-2019, 09:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
FAQ | Like Lincoln

I found this quite interesting.

There were not that many law schools prior to 1840 or so. Tracing legal education 19th century style | The Legal Genealogist
"If you want to become a lawyer without going to law school, pick your location carefully. Only four states (California, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington) allow potential law students to skip law school entirely. Three others (Maine, New York, and Wyoming) require some law school experience, but allow an apprenticeship to substitute for one or two years of law school."

How to Become a Lawyer Without Going to Law School

Interesting premise, but as you know Tal, not easy to really get a law degree.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,997 Times in 1,729 Posts

Best of luck to Kim.

Last edited by Velvet; 04-13-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
law, schools, prior, interesting, school

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.