Becoming a lawyer without law school.

Closed Thread
Old 04-11-2019, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,036 Times in 2,731 Posts

Just remember that half of all lawyers, and doctors, finish in the bottom half of their classes. Reminds me of a joke. What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish? One is a bottom dwelling scum sucker, and the other one is a fish : )
Old 04-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Two of my cousins are lawyers, and I've read the entire Connecticut General Statutes, the paper version at the public library - voluntarily, because it was interesting. Does that count?
Old 04-11-2019, 08:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Two of my cousins are lawyers, and I've read the entire Connecticut General Statutes, the paper version at the public library - voluntarily, because it was interesting. Does that count?
Cannot say that I have read all the Minnesota General Statutes. Lots of them in many areas though. That is one of the ways they teach the law at a public university in some state. You get a lot of that state's law touched on by classes and most of these involve business of some kind.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Just remember that half of all lawyers, and doctors, finish in the bottom half of their classes. Reminds me of a joke. What's the difference between a lawyer and a catfish? One is a bottom dwelling scum sucker, and the other one is a fish : )
The top twenty law schools though have quite the reputation. If you graduate from one of these you do have a few steps up the ladder from those who graduated from lower ranked schools. And the top five law schools grads get a lot of breaks no matter where you were in that class.

Same with medical schools I assume.

Degrees from Harvard, Stanford, Yale, and the U of Chicago do make a big difference. Access Denied
Old 04-11-2019, 10:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Cannot say that I have read all the Minnesota General Statutes. Lots of them in many areas though. That is one of the ways they teach the law at a public university in some state. You get a lot of that state's law touched on by classes and most of these involve business of some kind.
It started out because a neighbor wanted her ex-boyfriend to relinquish any claim on their son so her fiance could start adoption proceedings. Ex-boyfriend was out of the picture since before the fiance met the neighbor, before the baby was born.

So I volunteered to look for her. First stop - the library, CT General Statutes to check on state custody law. But first I had to figure out which volume of the CTGS it was in, since there are like - 20 of them, a few of them 2 inches thick.

I started with the index - which was its own volume. Found some interesting topics so I wrote those down to get back to them another day. By the end of my visit I had two pages of "interesting things to read when I have time" and still hadn't found the custody info.

After a few months I had all the info for my neighbor, and had gone through every volume of the CTGS.
Old 04-11-2019, 10:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Only if you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 04-12-2019, 07:14 AM
Sage

Quote:
It started out because a neighbor wanted her ex-boyfriend to relinquish any claim on their son so her fiance could start adoption proceedings. Ex-boyfriend was out of the picture since before the fiance met the neighbor, before the baby was born.

So I volunteered to look for her. First stop - the library, CT General Statutes to check on state custody law. But first I had to figure out which volume of the CTGS it was in, since there are like - 20 of them, a few of them 2 inches thick.

I started with the index - which was its own volume. Found some interesting topics so I wrote those down to get back to them another day. By the end of my visit I had two pages of "interesting things to read when I have time" and still hadn't found the custody info.

After a few months I had all the info for my neighbor, and had gone through every volume of the CTGS.
That makes some sense now.

Some of my clients in the Clinical program Legal Assistance to Minnesota Prisoners had me looking at a lot of MN law as well as Federal law. A lot of those cases involved divorces, child support, name changes and the like.

Law librarians just show you how to use some source and leave you to find what you might need.

Some libraries now seem to be hiring social workers to help those dealing with some kind of trauma when they come into a library which is quite an improvement IMHO.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 04-12-2019 at 07:42 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
That makes some sense now.

Some of my clients in the Clinical program Legal Assistance to Minnesota Prisoners had me looking at a lot of MN law as well as Federal law. A lot of those cases involved divorces, child support, name changes and the like.

Law librarians just show you how to use some source and leave you to find what you might need.

Some libraries now seem to be hiring social workers to help those dealing with some kind of trauma when they come into a library which is quite an improvement IMHO.
I love looking stuff up. I'm a google freak, and I get a kick out of weeding through the chaff to find the wheat. My "bathroom reading material" is the weekly local paper, the AARP bulletin - and a reverse dictionary. Discovering new things that I didn't know before is fascinating to me, and I'm not particular about the topic.

Law is fascinating, only because there's so much I don't know about it, that I can learn about it. It's probably why I didn't become a newspaper editor: I learned everything I needed to learn, in order to become one. And then it ceased to be interesting. The process was what grabbed and kept my attention.

I've learned a lot about medicine too, dentistry in particular. I became a certified aromatherapist because an accident and subsequent surgery to repair bones left me with aching muscles near the incision site, and the doctor recommended wintergreen. So I looked it up and just kept going.

I have no doubt at all that with enough sincere, personal interest or fascination with a topic, someone with good retention skills can learn enough about anything, to qualify to pass a test in that subject. That doesn't require formal training or schooling. It requires interest and dedication to the discovery process.
Closed Thread

Tags
law, schools, prior, interesting, school

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.