Being a good seller (and moving down to TV)

Closed Thread
Old 11-15-2022, 11:57 AM
Default Being a good seller (and moving down to TV)

Hi all,

Still can't begin my home search in TV, but I am doing my cleanup and cleanout in my current home.

Is it normal practice to leave items for the new owners for repairs and touchups? By this, I mean leftover paint for the various rooms, extra wall and/or floor tiles, ceiling panels, extra vinyl siding strips, extra sheets for wall paneling, etc.?

Thanks!

Kevin
Old 11-15-2022, 11:58 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to eweissenbach

Quote:
Originally Posted by kp11364 View Post
Hi all,

Still can't begin my home search in TV, but I am doing my cleanup and cleanout in my current home.

Is it normal practice to leave items for the new owners for repairs and touchups? By this, I mean leftover paint for the various rooms, extra wall and/or floor tiles, ceiling panels, extra vinyl siding strips, extra sheets for wall paneling, etc.?

Thanks!

Kevin
Yup
Old 11-15-2022, 12:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Kevin
Yup
Old 11-15-2022, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Kevin
We just moved and left extra tiles etc as well as paint (for finding the colors for touch ups). It seems like a courtesy to me.
Old 11-15-2022, 08:00 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Yes. It also can be helpful to leave a file with manuals for the appliances that are going with the house, as well as info on HVAC, roof, new windows, etc. and even the tags and instructions from any landscaping added.

We are on house #10. As we "grew up" and did more updates to our houses, I became even more of a planner........

For instance, if I bought new vanity lights or new bar counter lights or any lighting replacement that involved more than one fixture of the exact same kind, I always bought a backup shade, if the shades were breakable........

That is because if you have ever broken just one of multiple matching lighting fixtures, you know you might have to replace all of them. Either they will no longer be available or will cost a lot more money and time than just being ready with one replacement in the closet. (Yeah. I know. I guess that's weird to some.) And if we never break one in the lineup, I leave the extra behind for the new owners.......

If they hate the light fixtures anyway, they can give them away or whatever they want to do with them. It is then their house......and their little extra shade from me, just in case.

It's a nice touch to leave information behind, and it has always been appreciated. At the closing, we leave our contact information with the buyers -- just in case they have questions........

But......we have always had pleasant closing experiences, including a few FSBOs in the 10. I imagine there are plenty of closings that could turn into knock-down-drag-outs, but not for us.

Good luck to you with your adventures in moving. We have never regretted any of our moves to different houses, even though we move on after several years.........mostly in the same Ohio area, just one TV house though.

Boomer

PS: If you have not sold a lot of houses, make sure you get your closing papers ahead of time so you can read them and make sure everything is correct. (But you probably already know to do that.)

Last edited by Boomer; 11-15-2022 at 08:45 PM.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:06 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,107 Times in 1,339 Posts

I bought a 15 year old home. They left the paint cans with not much paint and probably not usable. Wish they would of just left the paint numbers.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
I bought a 15 year old home. They left the paint cans with not much paint and probably not usable. Wish they would of just left the paint numbers.
I wouldn’t worry about old paint cans the first thing people should do is repaint .All my homes here in villages or other places have been new except for one .I have painted , put plantation shutters , designer fans and tile or wood throughout the whole home or condo before I move in, but the least anyone should do in an older home is repaint for a fresh start
Old 11-16-2022, 11:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I wouldn’t worry about old paint cans the first thing people should do is repaint .All my homes here in villages or other places have been new except for one .I have painted , put plantation shutters , designer fans and tile or wood throughout the whole home or condo before I move in, but the least anyone should do in an older home is repaint for a fresh start
Perhaps that is what they SHOULD do, but everyone is different. I’ve owned twenty homes and some I have had painted and some I have not. My current Villages home I bought a year ago and the painting was one reason it caught my eye. We will do no repainting there for years, if ever and I was very happy the previous owner left all the paint - well marked - for inevitable touch ups.
Old 11-17-2022, 06:55 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Kevin
Answer: Yes, Yes and Yes. We went so far as to make up a loose leaf book with all the instruction books for all appliances and warrantee info for new fixtures, windows, storm door, etc. Just common sense to give a new owner the same thing you would like to get if you took possession of your new house. Whatever makes it easier for the new owner. Extra paint, tiles , etc included
Old 11-17-2022, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Thanks!

Kevin
A roll of toilet paper might be well received
Old 11-17-2022, 07:20 AM

So things yes for the new owner. But Sheetrock, vinyl strips etc I would make sure the new owners are ok with those items left behind.. I heard of someone that had to pay to remove things left behind
Old 11-17-2022, 07:39 AM
Default Leaving items for new home buyer

As a licensed and practicing Realtor/Broker for over 20 years, the correct thing to do is "ask" the buyer if they want seller to leave these things behind (tile, paint, trim, etc). Most sales contracts say everything must be removed..... unless it is agreed upon by all parties. You'd be surprised how many new homeowners do NOT want those items left behind.

Last edited by bropel; 11-17-2022 at 07:41 AM. Reason: Titled it wrong
Old 11-17-2022, 07:56 AM
Veteran member
Default It depends ...

In my opinion, it depends on the buyers. When we sold our home up north, the buyers needed so much that they agreed to buy the house 'as is' rather than the more typical 'broom clean'because there was a lot they could use. What was objectively not usable we hauled away to the recycling center.

In our present home here in TV, we were fortunate to find one in which virtually everything the sellers had done over the years they were here was agreeable to us. One of the things we had to do was match laminate flooring that they had put down in a portion of the house that we wished to extend, and while they didn't leave any, they did leave one empty box of the product which our floor installer was able to use to continue flooring with an identical match.

Before discarding anything that could be remotely useful, I would check with the buyers, whether directly or through the real estate agents.
Old 11-17-2022, 08:54 AM
Sage

When we moved here (already in our new house) the realtor that was working with/for our buyers called and stated that all those paint cans in the basement needed to be gone. Say, what? They were in the Midwest and we were here!! So my S.O. flew up for a quick weekend to dispose of the cans. We left them there as generally that's what we'd done in the past with NO issues. I could be out of line here but they could have said something after one of the several times they did a walk-through and we were still available. Our move here had been a 2-phase so much of our items were gone. I guess we could have asked---so maybe the OP could do that to save some "grief".
Old 11-17-2022, 08:58 AM

It is nice to do that - but make it organized and well labeled. If the Buyer does not want it - you can always remove it during the walk thru. I for one was happy when they told me there was spare floor boards and paint for touch up. I asked my buyers if they wanted ..... hose, extra tile etc. Some things they said yes others no. I did not dump helpful items they did not want until right before closing. Likewise don't leave garbage - prior owners did that to us. Lots of stuff in the rafters - all was useless and a dump.

Last edited by nancyre; 11-17-2022 at 09:05 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
extra, home, wall, leftover, paint

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.