Berkeley, CA, residents approve tax on sugary drinks

Closed Thread
Old 11-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
NO!

Just like gasoline and cigarette taxes were not meant to disuade the users.
But I believe users have been dissuaded. There are fewer smokers today and more fuel efficient cars on the road than ever before.
Old 11-21-2014, 11:59 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
"The Berkeley measure levies the tax on the 15 to 20 companies that contract with beverage makers to distribute their products in the city, and would be charged as part of their business license fee, backers of the measure say. The tax would not be collected from retailers or from consumers at the cash register."
If the implication is accurate that consumers will not feel the pain, that underscores the reality that this is simply another revenue generating tax with no intended quality of life benefits.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
If the implication is accurate that consumers will not feel the pain, that underscores the reality that this is simply another revenue generating tax with no intended quality of life benefits.
And developed by another bunch of politicians who think voters are stupid. Off with their heads!
Old 11-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
"The Berkeley measure levies the tax on the 15 to 20 companies that contract with beverage makers to distribute their products in the city, and would be charged as part of their business license fee, backers of the measure say. The tax would not be collected from retailers or from consumers at the cash register."
Sooner or later all costs get passed along to the consumer, especially due to the fact that the overwhelming majority voted for it. Why would the companies absorb the added cost of doing business in Berkeley?
Old 11-21-2014, 12:46 PM
Sage

The reason the beverage industry is so worried is because these initiatives have been popping up around the nation in the past few years. And the fact that this Berkeley initiative succeeded indicates there could be a domino effect.

Starting over ten years ago, I was calling for making it revenue neutral. In other words, put a tax on sugary beverages while removing the tax on some necessity like bathroom paper. (Don't tell me it's a $hitty idea.) If communities around the country would do that, that initiative would pass easily.
Old 11-21-2014, 12:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Huh?
Old 11-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Sage

Interesting that the proponents could have written this so that the proceeds would be directed to specific uses, such as diabetes research, health/nutrition education, or some other means to affect reduction in the consumption of sugary drinks. But that would have required the measure pass with 2/3 majority. Instead they elected to draft the measure so that the proceeds go into the general fund without targeting their use because that would only require a simple majority for passage.

The measure also requires a nine person committee to study ways to reduce consumption. And specifies the qualifications for the members. I would expect the costs for this committee would far exceed the revenue generated, thus becoming a drain on the city's resources.

And there are exemptions for distribution to smaller stores (<100K gross).

I expect we will see in a year or so that there has been negligible effect on consumption of these drinks in Berkeley. That is, if the measure withstands the almost certain court challenge.
Old 11-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
My comment: When it gets to the point where healthy people have to subsidize healthcare for the unhealthy...
Where and when hasn't it always been that way? And do you feel the same way about the young subsidizing social security for the old?
Old 11-21-2014, 09:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Where and when hasn't it always been that way? And do you feel the same way about the young subsidizing social security for the old?

In my case I can assure you that my children, or any one else, are not subsidizing my social security. If I had in a 401(k) what I paid in SS I'd be very happy right now. SS is just another redistribution of wealth by the Feds.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:44 AM
Sage

High cigarette taxes have reduced the consumption of cigarettes. Taxes on sugary drinks may or may not reduce the consumption of sugary drinks
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 11-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
High cigarette taxes have reduced the consumption of cigarettes.

I think there are a lot of factors leading to reduced consumption of cigarettes.

Laws against smoking in offices and restaurants.
Now smokers have to huddle outside on smoke breaks instead of the old days when people were free to smoke at their office desk or in bars.
Or perhaps it's the negative publicity that makes cigarette smokers feel like they have a communicable disease.
And possibly the information about how second-hand smoke affects everyone in the family.
And of course the increase in price, but I think the anti-smoking advertising has been the key factor.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
High cigarette taxes have reduced the consumption of cigarettes. Taxes on sugary drinks may or may not reduce the consumption of sugary drinks
The trick is to figure out how high the tax needs to be.
Old 11-22-2014, 02:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
If more people could demonstrate the ability to save for their old age, we wouldn't need social security. But most people can't (or won't) and whatever people can't do for themselves the government usually ends up doing it for them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.