Big Brother ??

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2020, 05:39 PM
Veteran member
Default Big Brother ??

I was talking to a friend today about Apps on the cellphones. I don't like them, as you give up some privacy for convenience. I told him that the third parties that own the apps have access to everything on your I-Phone when you use them. The "third parties" can access and read your emails, check your bank accounts, all your contacts and even get their email addresses and phone numbers from your cellphone.
An hour ago I got a notification from "Siri" saying that there was a game on Wednesday, Oct 13 at 6pm and lasting until around 8p.m.
Coincidentally, I did get an email from a friend saying that he would be at the rec center at 6pm if anyone wanted to play cards.
So, "Siri" DOES READ YOUR EMAIL......and even though Siri is available on my Iphone, I have never activated or used it.
I don't trust technology. Maybe I should throw away my cellphone.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:47 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I was talking to a friend today about Apps on the cellphones. I don't like them, as you give up some privacy for convenience. I told him that the third parties that own the apps have access to everything on your I-Phone when you use them. The "third parties" can access and read your emails, check your bank accounts, all your contacts and even get their email addresses and phone numbers from your cellphone.
Um, no, they don't.

kathy
Old 10-12-2020, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
An hour ago I got a notification from "Siri" saying that there was a game on Wednesday, Oct 13 at 6pm and lasting until around 8p.m.
Coincidentally, I did get an email from a friend saying that he would be at the rec center at 6pm if anyone wanted to play cards.
So, "Siri" DOES READ YOUR EMAIL......and even though Siri is available on my Iphone, I have never activated or used it.
Anybody that has cell/smart phone gave up there privacy the minute they entered their information and turned them on. Also with Google, FB, Yahoo!, Twitter And anything free all sell you private information. Only hackers can steal you’re banking accounts and you have to help them do it.
Old 10-12-2020, 07:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

The only apps I will use are Spotify (music) and my radar (weather). I hate having everything I do being tracked. I do not want to be a data point!
Old 10-12-2020, 07:37 PM
Veteran member

Unfortunately, the convenience of being online in any capacity comes with a certain loss of privacy. We all either need to make some sort of mental peace with it or do without.

We have an Alexa device which is used exclusively to play audiobooks. I've disabled the mic, all notifications, reminders, skills, etc. But it still bothers me a bit.

Should one agree with their goals, The Electronic Frontier Foundation could be one of the organization to support.
Old 10-12-2020, 08:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,051 Times in 2,740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Unfortunately, the convenience of being online in any capacity comes with a certain loss of privacy. We all either need to make some sort of mental peace with it or do without.

We have an Alexa device which is used exclusively to play audiobooks. I've disabled the mic, all notifications, reminders, skills, etc. But it still bothers me a bit.

Should one agree with their goals, The Electronic Frontier Foundation could be one of the organization to support.
Please don’t assume that since you have disabled certain functions, that said functions are actually disabled.
Old 10-13-2020, 04:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Why worry?
If it makes life easier or better. Use it.
Anyone tracking me will get bored to death anyway!
Old 10-13-2020, 04:43 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Don’t let Fake Information paranoia dominate your life. Your life and habits are of no importance to anyone that matters. GGGGEEEEZZZZZZ!
Old 10-13-2020, 05:55 AM

To test whether or not Siri or Alexa are listening, just mention some obscure catalog or movie and see what arrives in your mailbox or inbox pretty quickly afterwards.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:07 AM

Way too paranoid. Software security continues and privacy laws continue to improve dramatically. Why deny yourself one of the most revolutionary advancements in our time. I control my house with my phone and love it. As for banking, I get an alerts if anyone so much as looks at my account, much to my wife’s chagrin 😄
Old 10-13-2020, 06:29 AM

You comment that you don't use Siri and never have turned it on .... and using that as "evidence" that the bogeyman is intruding ... shows that you are probably correct .. you should toss your phone in the garbage.

Yes ... you life on the phone is likely being stored in a giant network near a hydroelectric plant in Washington State ... yes ... but if Siri is "on" ... you did it buddy.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:39 AM

Quote:
They are after you! I would get rid of the phone immediately. Its the only way to be safe.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:49 AM
Veteran member

[Um, no, they don't
kathy[/QUOTE]

Well, if Siri doesn't read my email, then why did it send me a notification of what was in my email??

BTW when the apps ask if they can use your location, and you say "no", do you really think that they aren't using it? Of course they are. When you get an app, you agree to their terms by hitting "I accept". BUT DID YOU REALLY READ WHAT YOU AGREED TO? Read it word for word before accepting would be a good idea.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:53 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Do you have a SMART TV and is it connected to the Internet thru your tv provider. How Retail Stores Track You Using Your Smartphone (and How to Stop It) der? Your car is even connecting thru bluetooth/wifi How Retail Stores Track You Using Your Smartphone (and How to Stop It)
Ever notice when using a computer or tablet for searches or general browsing ads will start appearing general to your search. It's not just iPhone it's any smartphone and Flip Phones have the same capability.
In regards to your pending appointment, you may have been notified thru your calendar.
Old 10-13-2020, 06:56 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,558 Times in 597 Posts

Quote:
No. No one reads your email. Yes, there is tracking of your searhes. Did you ever think to check your settings??
Closed Thread

Tags
email, siri, access, parties, cellphone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.