Big Brother ??

Closed Thread
Old 10-13-2020, 07:06 AM

Don't throw it away. You can have all info wiped on it, donate it to the military, battered women's shelters, etc. Your carrier will probably give you a flip phone free.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:07 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girlcopper View Post
No. No one reads your email. Yes, there is tracking of your searhes. Did you ever think to check your settings??
Yes. I shut off most items in my settings. I know that "cookies" acknowledge my searches with advertising. I "agreed" with them when I went browsing.

I don't use my calendar on my phone. My calendar is hanging on my wall.
My email was just that.....an email from a friend. The notification was from Siri...about a game on Wednesday..........but it isn't scheduled anywhere. It's just something that may happen.

Last edited by Joe C.; 10-13-2020 at 07:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-13-2020, 07:15 AM

A few years ago, I took a Microsoft course to understand everything that was included with their Windows/Office package. The instructor noted that while the security software on computers has become much better and is updated regularly, cell phones are much more porous for a number of reasons. His suggestion was to never actually purchase anything through a cell phone. Getting alerts from Visa/Mastercard was okay since no actual account numbers were included. I have found that there is nothing I need so badly that can't wait until I get to my computer. With regards to tracking - If they get rid of Social Security and I get so desperate that I need to rob a bank, I will make sure to leave my phone at home. (poor attempt at humor).
Old 10-13-2020, 07:15 AM

yes, dump the phone.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,109 Posts

I suggest that to help some of the very nervous people on here from Siri reading there thoughts or listening to conversations ,wear a baseball hat with tin foil inside it
Old 10-13-2020, 07:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

My car insurance company keeps asking me to keep location on so they can track my miles and driving habits.

By doing this every time we walk into a store I get a message from the store who knows I am there and often sends me survey.

As a result keep location off unless using waze.
Old 10-13-2020, 07:29 AM

After watching the documentary "Social Dilemma" on Netflix, I wanted to delete ALL the apps on my phone.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:05 AM

Big brother is always watching!!😳
Old 10-13-2020, 08:28 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
I was talking to a friend today about Apps on the cellphones. I don't like them, as you give up some privacy for convenience. I told him that the third parties that own the apps have access to everything on your I-Phone when you use them. The "third parties" can access and read your emails, check your bank accounts, all your contacts and even get their email addresses and phone numbers from your cellphone.
An hour ago I got a notification from "Siri" saying that there was a game on Wednesday, Oct 13 at 6pm and lasting until around 8p.m.
Coincidentally, I did get an email from a friend saying that he would be at the rec center at 6pm if anyone wanted to play cards.
So, "Siri" DOES READ YOUR EMAIL......and even though Siri is available on my Iphone, I have never activated or used it.
I don't trust technology. Maybe I should throw away my cellphone.

Mmmm, yeah. Maybe you should.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:35 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,308 Times in 542 Posts

The World Wide Web is just that The World Wide Web with its pro and cons. Back when the “Gasoline horse” first made its entry into people’s lives some still preferred the ol’ horse with four legs. Things haven’t changed much about people today. You either embrace technology or hide from it. Your choice.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

If it were true, then what is it about anyone of us, out of the billions and billions and billions of sources of information, be of interest to ANYBODY?

Another subject that is arm chair over intellectualized! IMHO.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C. View Post
Yes. I shut off most items in my settings. I know that "cookies" acknowledge my searches with advertising. I "agreed" with them when I went browsing.

I don't use my calendar on my phone. My calendar is hanging on my wall.
My email was just that.....an email from a friend. The notification was from Siri...about a game on Wednesday..........but it isn't scheduled anywhere. It's just something that may happen.
Joe, I totally get what ur saying, several weeks ago my girlfriend and I had pedicures. While talking to my nail tech, suddenly Siri pipes up with “ that’s not very nice “. I was asking her how her week was going? Evidently u don’t have to start a question with “hey Siri “ in order to activate. Gotta say this NEVER happened before and was kind of creepy. My phone was in my purse. I have it set for Siri to only recognize my voice. Again creepy.
In the past anytime I used Siri I HAD to start with Hey Siri in order to get results.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:20 AM

Watch "The Social Dilemma". The founders and key employees of some of the big social networks weigh in on some of the techniques they use to get you hooked on social media and their personal experiences.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:30 AM
Platinum member

Apple (for iPhones) and Google (for Androids) put an app on your phone this summer to track you.
You did NOT ask for it and you did NOT agree to it (per se).
It's NOT a stand alone application that can be deleted from your Applications folder.
Go to settings and you can find it there, called: COVID-19 Exposure.

Skip
Old 10-13-2020, 09:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,027 Times in 5,325 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieo1126@gmail.com View Post
I suggest that to help some of the very nervous people on here from Siri reading there thoughts or listening to conversations ,wear a baseball hat with tin foil inside it
A double layer of foil makes you twice as safe
Closed Thread

Tags
email, siri, access, parties, cellphone

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.