Black Friday

Closed Thread
Old 11-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Veteran member

Maybe this isn't exactly Black Friday shopping, but I enjoy going out with The Mrs' and her mom (typically a few more). I will drop them off at the door find a spot out in the lot and then find our lunch spot. Out of the goodness of my heart I'll put our names in and have a beer while waiting in the bar. Typically football has started by this time so turns into a win/win.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
How many people are going to brave the crowds on Black Friday?

What kind of purchases will you make?

How much will you save?

We do all of our shopping online and EARLY. There are so many excellent online reputable businesses of longstanding, that there is no need to shop in person anymore........it's the way all of our friends shop as well.

People also send each other gift certificates to online merchants.

Our daughter's brother in law joins us Wednesday and Thursday, etc for Thanksgiving dinner and helps to secret away our grandchildren's Christmas gifts until the proper time in December, hiding them at his house.......along with our daughter and son in laws's gifts.

To other "away" folks we have already had their gifts shipped to them; they know to "hide them" and "not to peek"........they are all gift wrapped.

My husband's gifts are "on the way" and should arrive after our company leaves next weekend..........some of his I do have already hidden away.

We "shopped" when we were younger.........but do not enjoy it as a past time now. Much prefer online shopping. As long as one knows a reputable online merchant........no need to go to a brick and mortar store.

Many online merchants still do not charge tax and many offer free shipping. Obviously, we do not have a mall in our town or area.

What once was a bustling , thriving "MAIN STREET" which served our townspeople well for decades upon decades, now doesn't have much to offer............so the online shopping is a great alternative with much more choice as far as gifts or necessities..........and brand names.

I love GAP KIDS for the grandchildren.......as well as Macy's and Bloomingdales online. Lots of neat toy stores online as well.

ORVIS and L.L. BEAN for the guys.......just too many to think of now.

Oh, Williams Sonoma and Crate and Barrel for the "girls" as well as THE POTTERY BARN..........great modern household stuff that they all love.

Plus, the old standby.............amazon.com for just about everything.
One year we just bought everyone in our family the KINDLE FIRE.
They all loved them.....and use them daily. Amazon gift wrapped and shipped them. I also bought the covers as an add on.

We'd rather be doing just about anything except SHOPPING.......in person.

The only downfall about shopping online is all of these boxes we give to our poor garbage guy every Wednesday......and all that bubble wrap and our pet peeve ....the packing popcorn.

We have much loved cousins in Bergen County New Jersey who used to shop as a "hobby" and it would take a year or more to decide on something for the house as they had so many CHOICES......which we do not have up here (and which we learned to live with)......they shopped each weekend at the mall (just looking type of shopping)........until they would finally decide. Now, with double knee replacement looming in the near future..........they cannot shop anymore. I'm thinking they have withdrawal symptoms. When we'd go for a hike in the woods , they would go to the mall. Not our idea of pleasure. Online is our choice.
Old 11-25-2013, 11:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
Not me!
I just passed Best Buy in Tampa and they already camped out
waiting......For an entire week?
I do not get it.
If someone advertises a Black Friday beer sale I will camp out until I freeze.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patfla06 View Post
Not me!
I just passed Best Buy in Tampa and they already camped out
waiting......For an entire week?
I do not get it.
So someone will camp out for a week on a cold hard sidewalk to save $300 on a big ticket item and at the same time lose $1,000 in wages (assuming they do work).

That just does not make sense to me.
Old 11-30-2013, 12:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac9 View Post
Actually, we no longer shop for Christmas. My brother-in-law is pastor of a church that has a meals on wheels program. Each family member donates to the church. When we all lived near each other, we would spend Christmas at my mother-in-law's house and, as adults, we realize that we really didn't need much of anything and preferred to donate to those who do need. Kinda makes life a lot simpler and closer.
Mac, like you we also donate to charities rather than giving Christmas gifts to family and friends. Doesn't it feel great not shopping for Christmas? We don't have any really little ones, and that makes a huge difference.

I have to confess I shopped this afternoon at Bealls. They keep emailing me coupons for $10 off a purchase of $25. It wasn't crowded at all. We even buy our Keurig coffee with our coupons.

Last edited by Barefoot; 11-30-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Location: Village of Hillsborough. (Past) Gilbertsvile, PA and Philadelphia, PA

I normally do not go out on Black Friday. Up North it was a madhouse. Our 19 year old daughter is home from college and she wanted to go out. We drove to Ocala. We first visited Dick's sporting goods at Market Street and did get great prices on Nike clothes. We then went to Barnes and Nobles and great price on Nooks for the grandchildren. This looks like a pretty new mall, no crowds. We then ventured to Paddock Mall and found some great deals. People were complaining that is was mobbed if they had to wait in line for 3 customers. To me, it was a great shopping experience. Beautiful day and no crowds, in my opinion.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.