In The Bleak End of April

Closed Thread
Old 04-27-2019, 01:38 PM
Sage
Default In The Bleak End of April

A take off from the Christmas hymn, "In The Bleak Mid-Winter." In the bleak end of April for N.W. suburban Chicago. Photo taken from my living room window a few minutes ago. Current temp. is 34 degrees. 4 to 8 inches of snow predicted by this evening. Hope my hostas survive...they just started peeking out of the ground about 6 days ago.

On Easter Sunday it was 78 degrees here.

Villagers enjoy your 82 degrees and sunshine.

snow-photo-2_apr-27-2019-jpg
Old 04-27-2019, 02:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
A take off from the Christmas hymn, "In The Bleak Mid-Winter." In the bleak end of April for N.W. suburban Chicago. Photo taken from my living room window a few minutes ago. Current temp. is 34 degrees. 4 to 8 inches of snow predicted by this evening. Hope my hostas survive...they just started peeking out of the ground about 6 days ago.

On Easter Sunday it was 78 degrees here.

Villagers enjoy your 82 degrees and sunshine.

Attachment 79423
I'm adding insult to injury .... we are having the most glorious Spring, probably the best since we moved here some 12 yrs ago. BUT, I do remember those April days in NH - we went back one year in sunshine and got up the next morning to 15" of wet snow. It disappears quickly though at this time of the year. Hang in there, this too shall end.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 04-27-2019, 04:06 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,305 Times in 540 Posts

Cubs are in Arizona - good that they are gone. I’ve played golf in such weather and it’s not fun. Pedaling to Illinois soon for a college graduation so let’s get some better weather up there!
Old 04-27-2019, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Cubs are in Arizona - good that they are gone. I’ve played golf in such weather and it’s not fun. Pedaling to Illinois soon for a college graduation so let’s get some better weather up there!
The White Sox postponed tonight's game. Guess they figured the turnout would not be good with conditions of 34 degrees and snow. The weather forecaster on Newsradio 78 in Chicago just said, "After the snow stops tonight, if you are driving late, watch out for icy spots on the roads" Yikes!
Old 04-27-2019, 04:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
I'm adding insult to injury .... we are having the most glorious Spring, probably the best since we moved here some 12 yrs ago. BUT, I do remember those April days in NH - we went back one year in sunshine and got up the next morning to 15" of wet snow. It disappears quickly though at this time of the year. Hang in there, this too shall end.
The tulips here in Chicago were looking really nice a few days ago. According to one meteorologist, this is the most snow Chicago has gotten this late in the Spring since 1940.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,027 Times in 2,726 Posts

I share your pain. April is a tease month up north. You think it's spring, but it's not weather wise. One day is sunny and 65 and the next is 35 with very cold rain or snow flurries. Today in the Berkshires it never got above 40, the wind has been howling all day, and a few minutes ago we had a snow squall. And it has rained so much we have never seen the ground water table so high. Trees are being uprooted by the wind with the ground so wet. A note to self, don't come north next year until May. On a more positive note, we will be heading to our Villages home for a couple of weeks next week. Can't wait : )
Old 04-27-2019, 09:50 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,592 Times in 1,758 Posts

The longest twenty years I ever spent was in 30 months in Rochester, NY. I remember flying back from D.C. in early June when just prior to landing the pilot announced "You won't believe this folks but it is snowing in Rochester!" Some guy in the back of the plane yelled out "Oh yes we will!".

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
bleak, degrees, ago, april, end

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.