Blizzard of 78, 35 years ago

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2015, 09:27 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

I remember the storm of 78, but for me, being from western NY, the Blizzard of 77 was more memorable for me personally. I was 19, had my Dad's car, and was stranded 3 days at some friends of mine...three girls who shared an apartment. The rest of my family were evacuated to the local school with hundreds of other folks. I remember walking on roofs and touching the tops of some telephone poles and streetlights.

Here is some info on the two storms....

Jan. 28–29, Buffalo, N.Y.: “Blizzard of 1977” dumped about 7 in. of new snow on top of 30–35 in. already on the ground. With winds gusting to 70 mph, drifts were as high as 30 ft. Death toll reached 29, and seven western N.Y. counties were declared a national disaster area.
Feb. 6–8, eastern U.S.: “Blizzard of 1978” battered the East Coast, particularly the Northeast; claimed 54 lives and caused $1 billion in damage. Snowfall ranged from 2–4 ft in New England, plus nearly 2 ft of snow already on the ground from an earlier storm.

Isn't it great we no longer shovel snow....? Gotta love Florida!

Frank
Old 01-14-2015, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

The Big storm, Blizzard if you will, in Southen Maryland hit on Washington's Birthday Weekend. Had just moved into my first house. The county had not yet accepted the roads so they were not plowed, the builder came a day later and made a swath, but on CuldeSac So had to shovel driveway and large part of street.
Did not have to go to work as Naval Air Station closed. The runways had to be plowed first, no time for roads.
Good way to meet the neighbors resting whild shoveling, a new development.
First idea I knew we had bad snow was when I looked out first floor bedroom window, and couldn't see out. Up there every 4-5 years we would get series of big snows, other years not much, close to water.
But due to reorg that brought more paper pushers in and the moving of the squadron that needed to be able to take off/land anytime, not that much Station closing for the new big snows. No Base closings, but schools still close on prediction of 1-2 inches.

When I was young in Philadelphia, had to walk to train later City bus in knee high snow, both up hill and down hill, really, part of walk was down a hill, later part was up hill along the way.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

I think it snowed in Connecticut during that time period. Can't really be sure, though.

Laughter is the best medicine, unless you're being treated for Shingles
Old 01-15-2015, 01:51 PM
Veteran member

The blizzard started on Feb 6th in CT - 2 days after my fathers birthday. I was working for the Dept of Transportation and was lucky to be on my day off and also had the next couple of days off. Otherwise, I would have been stranded at work. Worst storm I had ever seen.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:07 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,595 Times in 1,759 Posts

This storm must have predated global warming.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.†Thomas Paine
Old 04-25-2015, 10:43 AM
Send a message via ICQ to Biancarose Send a message via Yahoo to Biancarose

My new born son was coming home from the hospital that day. We had to hire a backhoe to get into the house, the happiest day of my life until the second happiest day of my life when my second son was born. It was during hurricane Gloria, no one came to the hospital, no flowers and the nurses were on strike...lol
Old 04-25-2015, 11:53 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biancarose View Post
My new born son was coming home from the hospital that day. We had to hire a backhoe to get into the house, the happiest day of my life until the second happiest day of my life when my second son was born. It was during hurricane Gloria, no one came to the hospital, no flowers and the nurses were on strike...lol

My wife and I left Boston for good after the Blizzard of '78. It's nice to go back now and then but I do not miss the snow at all This year they had 96 inches of snowfall. Just unbelievable.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:57 AM
Platinum member

I was cold then, I'm cold now, I will be cold later.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 04-25-2015, 01:11 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
and it was just another snow storm that happens occasionally where ever it snows a lot.

There was no 24/7 sensationalism to warn us of the impending danger.

There was no magnifying by telling us how many millions of people who "will be" affected by the coming snows.

There were no reporters standing in the weather showing us how it was snowing, where ever.

We knew we had a lot of snow when we looked out the window in the morning.

And yes we were expected to get to school and go to work.

When I worked for GE way back when, their weather stance was.....we are always open and expect employees to try to get to work......most did.

Some day the latter generatons will be gone and then there will be only the totally uninformed bots who know only what is being fed to them by the 24/7.

There is a lot I like about the world we live in today. I totally and completely dislike the 24/7 folks treating we the people like uninformed dolts.....and that goes for more than just the weather.
spot on
Old 04-25-2015, 01:26 PM

I was much to young to remember, it must have been terrible!

“Living Large in the Land of Sunshine & No Basements”

SEMPER FI
Old 04-25-2015, 02:45 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
More than one blizzard in '78 evidently.

National Weather Service Wilmington Ohio -- Local Research
This is the one I remember. I was an RN on the night shift in ICU. Unbelievable how busy the night was. Towards morning we heard it had snowed all night and they could not open the ER doors. No one from day shift showed. I was there till 4 pm.our cars were buried under what we heard was 3 feet of snow. A co-worker's father come to take us home. The main street was a tunnel. I lived with my mother who did not drive. Next day I walked to a little grocery store to get food and dragged it home in a green plastic garbage bag. By the second or third day the buses were running so I took a bus to the hospital to dig my car out. This memory has stayed with me my whole life.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedChariot View Post
This is the one I remember. I was an RN on the night shift in ICU. Unbelievable how busy the night was. Towards morning we heard it had snowed all night and they could not open the ER doors. No one from day shift showed. I was there till 4 pm.our cars were buried under what we heard was 3 feet of snow. A co-worker's father come to take us home. The main street was a tunnel. I lived with my mother who did not drive. Next day I walked to a little grocery store to get food and dragged it home in a green plastic garbage bag. By the second or third day the buses were running so I took a bus to the hospital to dig my car out. This memory has stayed with me my whole life.
My wife was an RN as well. The governor banned driving so the police would take the nurses to and from work. I cross country skied to work for 10 days.
Old 04-25-2015, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
I walked to school and home uphill both ways
YOU HAD SHOES AT LEAST. My family had only one pair of boots and we all had to share.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

I worked in Pensacola from 1977 to 1982 and I don't remember seeing any snow. The biggest event we had that year was on May 8th, National 193 thought Pensacola Bay looked like a runway, unfortunately it was 12' deep.

The Villages Florida
Old 04-26-2015, 07:06 AM
Veteran member

We had been out snowmobiling, enjoying the snow but then it came time to drive 3 hours back home. The white cliffs were towering on both sides of the road but we thought we would get fired if we were not at work the next day. What a risk we took but thanks for the memory of all the fun playing in the snow. We used to have campfires on the snow trails and enjoy friends, food and fun. Now we love the Villages....so many wonderful people here!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.