Bloomberg's ban on large sodas overturned!!

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2013, 08:20 PM
Default Don't Take away my JOY!

All I want right now is a LARGE SUPERSIZE SODA and A TWINKIE!!!! Anybody got an old Twinkie just lying around!! Will pay TOP dollar!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:42 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg150 View Post
I live in NYC and the defeat of this legislation makes me sad. Perhaps Bloomberg over-reached, and the legislation could have been better crafted, but his heart was in the right place! Now the beverage companies are manipulating public opinion, but they remain greedy and uncaring. What people don't realize is that you can't even get a smaller drink these days. Thirsty at the movies, I tried to get a sip of something to quench my thirst but the smallest drink available was 32 ounces (for a premium price too!) I remember when Coke used to come in 7 oz bottles and it was a special once in a while treat that you savored. Try to find a 7 ounce bottle now! It is not a coincidence that this bigger is better mentality coincides perfectly with the obesity epidemic. People wake up! Stand up for children and sensible living, not these selfish corporate interests!Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oy vey ! Wow, I am speechless...whatever happened to personal responsibility ?
Old 03-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauld315 View Post
Oy vey ! Wow, I am speechless...whatever happened to personal responsibility ?
What ever happened to personal choice? Why must we accept only the bigger sizes because they are more profitable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:16 AM
Veteran member

I guess some of us need protection from ourselves. That is why there are rules. Our own judgement can be faulty at times, and just because we believe in freedom is not enough to allow us to make stupid choices. Then again, who is to decide what constitutes a stupid choice? I just do not know either.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:32 AM

Bloomberg may seem like Big Brother, but with obesity and diabetes on the ever increasing rise (especially in our youth), someone needed to something!

Come on, no needs to be served 32 oz. of pop. Geez.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lis View Post
Bloomberg may seem like Big Brother, but with obesity and diabetes on the ever increasing rise (especially in our youth), someone needed to something!

Agreed - NO ONE NEEDS TO BE SERVED A 32 oz SODA - but we all should have the right to make that decision on our own. People don't need to be served alcohol or cigarettes - ban that too???
Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

Where there are societal costs, we as a collectively responsible nation, have a right if not an obligation to our fellow citizens to encourage and even to legislate responsibility. The mayor's proposal I believe only applied to the on site sale of supersized drinks. There was no prohibition on a consumer buying two of them, or ten of them. There was no prohibition on grocery stores selling you a 2 Liter.
We already have laws regarding what some might consider "personal liberties". While you can consume alcohol, you cannot be served over a certain amount per glass. You cannot drive any speed you desire, even on a deserted road where you would endanger only yourself. Many states require you to wear a helmet if you ride a bike or a motorcycle. All states require you wear your seat belt. These are all examples of what people like to call the "nanny state". And they are all good laws. We have as a society laws not only to protect the individual from others but laws to protect the individual from him/her self when making poor choices may impose a burden on the society even without the intention of doing so. If Bloomberg is correct that obesity is a real public health danger and that there are ways to mitigate that danger why wouldn't he, and why wouldn't all of us, be trying to reduce the damage both present and future of that disease? It is a legitimate if not essential function of govenment to promote the common welfare and public health.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Lets not forget your golf cart can't do over 20 mph.
When you have Villages Golf Car do any repair's THEY deem it necessary to turn down the speed
Old 03-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

You can buy 32 oz drafts at Cody's
They should have a 16oz limit
Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
Where there are societal costs, we as a collectively responsible nation, have a right if not an obligation to our fellow citizens to encourage and even to legislate responsibility. The mayor's proposal I believe only applied to the on site sale of supersized drinks. There was no prohibition on a consumer buying two of them, or ten of them. There was no prohibition on grocery stores selling you a 2 Liter.
We already have laws regarding what some might consider "personal liberties". While you can consume alcohol, you cannot be served over a certain amount per glass. You cannot drive any speed you desire, even on a deserted road where you would endanger only yourself. Many states require you to wear a helmet if you ride a bike or a motorcycle. All states require you wear your seat belt. These are all examples of what people like to call the "nanny state". And they are all good laws. We have as a society laws not only to protect the individual from others but laws to protect the individual from him/her self when making poor choices may impose a burden on the society even without the intention of doing so. If Bloomberg is correct that obesity is a real public health danger and that there are ways to mitigate that danger why wouldn't he, and why wouldn't all of us, be trying to reduce the damage both present and future of that disease? It is a legitimate if not essential function of govenment to promote the common welfare and public health.
Ah yes, you are right Blueash, and a very good scientist too. However, in Ohio where we both are from, no one so far has told us how much pop we can buy or drink at a time...so far.

When a law is passed, there is also a great expense to enforce it.

I think this may be political.

Say Goodnight Gracie.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
This may or may not be true.....

"If Bloomberg is correct that obesity is a real public health danger and that there are ways to mitigate that danger why wouldn't he, and why wouldn't all of us, be trying to reduce the damage both present and future of that disease? It is a legitimate if not essential function of govenment to promote the common welfare and public health.
Reply With Quote"

HOWEVER, and to me MOST IMPORTANTLY, when do we discuss personal responsibility.....when do we discuss parenting.

It does not seem to serve us well to throw aside our inherent responsibility and leave those responsibilities to politicians of any ilk
Old 03-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
It does not seem to serve us well to throw aside our inherent responsibility and leave those responsibilities to politicians of any ilk
Old 03-13-2013, 10:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,143 Times in 829 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucco View Post
HOWEVER, and to me MOST IMPORTANTLY, when do we discuss personal responsibility.....when do we discuss parenting.

And here we agree in part. There is a more important role of parenting and personal responsibility in these issues. But, and it is a very important but, that does not mean that there is no role of government. This is not an either or, it is an all of the above. While we may disagree on the wisdom of this particular soda proposal, would you agree that one role of government is to regulate the sale of harmful products? Another role is to encourage positive health practices such as quitting smoking, getting exercise, weight control, avoiding sunburn, the list is lengthy. Some of this can be done by agencies tasked with getting good practices out to the public. This involves spending your tax dollars to support research and buy advertising time and pay the salaries of those employees. Some is done by regulation or tax policy. Why is some food taxed at Publix and other foods are not? Government has in many ways played a role in guiding people into making healthy life choices. What Bloomberg proposed was part of that tradition.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by De Lis View Post

I agree nobody needs to be served 32 oz. of pop. However, the silly thing about the attempt in NY is that all a person has to do to get it is buy 2 bottles of it that are 16 oz.....

AND, since those are sealed and easy to carry around or keep in a backpack, a person can buy 4 or 5 16-oz bottles to consume in the next couple of hours.

Personally I don't understand how a person has that much time on their hands, to drink all that and spend that much more time at the toilet.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.