Bloomberg's ban on large sodas overturned!!

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Sage
Personal responsibility doesn't seem to be working. According to recent numbers, 37% of the population are now considered to be obese, and it cost Medicare 30% more for treatment of an obese person. If these trends continue, soon it will be 50%...then 75%.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

///

Last edited by graciegirl; 03-13-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:02 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default I Am Incensed!

If health is the basis for restricting the big gulp then in the name of health where will our nanny government stop? What else will they direct us not to do , or do? If the big gulp is the culprit then where does lack of exercise come in to play especially with our children? Personal/parental responsibility is in fact being taken over by our government in every aspect of our everyday lives and we are letting it happen. I was so surprised to see New Yorkers roll over on this issue. I thought these brassy and sophicated folks would be marching in the streets. And while elimination of big gulp has become the cause du jour in New York, other states are successful in pushing marijuana as a legitimate cash crop. Unbelievable. There are people on this thread falling into that trap that essentially says the end justifies the means (ie. people are obese and obesity is wrong so taking away a personal choice ( freedom) is the right thing to do because these obese people are just too dumb lazy or unmotiviated to do so themselves. This mind set is going to be the ruin of this nation because in this case the only person that has a right to make those choices is the so called "obese" person. And a negative byproduct of all of this is that these experts by their actions stigmatize all persons who do not fit their view of a healthy body.

I guess next these do gooders will work on is ugly people as the cause du jour. Let's eliminate all ugly people or perhaps it is wiser simply to making pretty people ugly. The main thing is that we all should be the same as nature intended it. You think my suggestion ridiculous well that's what I think Bloomberg's actions are plainy ridiculous.New Yorkers allowed this yahoo to serve three terms???????????????????????????????
Old 03-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Yeah. And as we age we drive those numbers up too. We are sort of a burden to society. sigh.

However, we did pay our withholding over the years.
Nobody can control getting older or getting sick, but everyone can control their weight. Losing weight can help alleviate such diseases as diabetes, high blood pressure, some cancers, etc.

As far as paying into the fund over the years, it is now estimated that people are getting back $3.00 for every $1.00 paid.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:11 PM
Sage

Education is the key. It worked with smoking. Smoking rates have fallen from the mid 40% to slightly above 20% since 1965. And nicotine is much more addictive than sugar.

How can I put faith in government to help obesity when they just voted to subsidize sugar production? I hope this isn't considered political.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmcn View Post
Personal responsibility doesn't seem to be working. According to recent numbers, 37% of the population are now considered to be obese, and it cost Medicare 30% more for treatment of an obese person. If these trends continue, soon it will be 50%...then 75%.

Then I think we should simply shun ALL personal responsibility, as it appears it does not pay in any case !! We will be taken care of !!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Location: Living in the Villages after 26 years on the Upper Westside of Manhattan!

The personal responsibility argument is hogwash when corporate policy is dictating our choices. Bloomberg's law never told adults that they couldn't drink 32 oz of soda. Instead it required establishments to provide smaller cups. You are crazy enough to want 32 oz of soda then buy multiple cups! I think the law should be written to provide single serving sizes at proportional prices for all food and beverages. This is exactly what our government should be doing, serving the public interest by mandating the availability of reasonable options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
formerly of Manhattan and weekends on the Jersey Shore--now living the dream in Caroline!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbg150 View Post
The personal responsibility argument is hogwash when corporate policy is dictating our choices. Bloomberg's law never told adults that they couldn't drink 32 oz of soda. Instead it required establishments to provide smaller cups. You are crazy enough to want 32 oz of soda then buy multiple cups! I think the law should be written to provide single serving sizes at proportional prices for all food and beverages. This is exactly what our government should be doing, serving the public interest by mandating the availability of reasonable options!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What the government should be doing is protecting the country - not individuals from themselves. That is not their role.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Default Another Perspective

The increased utilization along with the rise in the cost of medical treatment is the major cause of our country's crippling debt. Just as costs threaten to overwhelm and destroy our health care system, a convincing argument can be made that people that intentionally abuse their bodies through use of alcohol, tobacco, lack of exercise and the intake of large quantities of fattening food are not only putting themselves at risk, but our health delivery system as well.

Obesity is one of the greatest causes of disability and premature death in our country. It is a contributing factor in diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, arthritis and damaged joints etc. etc. For an elected official to ignore and fail to speak out on a matter that directly effects all of us, would be in my opinion, irresponsible. The freedom to drink soda is still intact, you can even go back for seconds.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:21 PM
Gold member

Mayor Bloomberg may have lost the battle, but not the War --- just wait
Old 03-14-2013, 06:05 AM
Platinum member

Toilet paper is next.
He will limit the number of sheets you can use.
If you go over, they will send out an inspector for approval for one more.
This will save the trees / planet
Create jobs
And you of course they will say it's for the children.
That locks in, so only uncaring people a pose the new law.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 03-14-2013, 01:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitehawk View Post
Mayor Bloomberg may have lost the battle, but not the War --- just wait
He's out of there at the end of the year.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 03-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by allus70 View Post
The increased utilization along with the rise in the cost of medical treatment is the major cause of our country's crippling debt. Just as costs threaten to overwhelm and destroy our health care system, a convincing argument can be made that people that intentionally abuse their bodies through use of alcohol, tobacco, lack of exercise and the intake of large quantities of fattening food are not only putting themselves at risk, but our health delivery system as well.

Obesity is one of the greatest causes of disability and premature death in our country. It is a contributing factor in diabetes, cancer, high blood pressure, arthritis and damaged joints etc. etc. For an elected official to ignore and fail to speak out on a matter that directly effects all of us, would be in my opinion, irresponsible. The freedom to drink soda is still intact, you can even go back for seconds.
Couldn't agree more.

Now...will somebody please tell me what that has to do with a politician (or anybody) telling me how big a soda I can drink??!!??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.