BMWs

Closed Thread
Old 05-11-2017, 09:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts
Default BMWs

Anybody see the news tonight? Showed couple BMWs catching fire after shut off and parked for short time. IMO If I had one I would think about not parking it in the garage for while see if more go up in flames.

According to the news report BMW blaming it on owners from lack of maintenance. ????What lack of maintenance would cause vehicle parked shut off and just go up in flames. IMO Sounds like fuel related leak or electrical shorting?
Old 05-12-2017, 03:39 AM

I have seen cars do the same thing as rats will build a nest under the warm hood and eat through the wiring causing all kinds of problems. I spent 30 years working for MBZ in CA and this was a common problem. Just a thought. We even found a snake nest once.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:26 AM
Veteran member

More BS from Brian Ross.

deadspin-quote-carrot-aligned-w-bgr-2
Old 05-13-2017, 06:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Probably fuel rail or injector leak on older models, "this is why it's important if you smell gas need to look for leak or get it checked out before it turns into gusher". GM had some problems in 90s, fuel system would spray gas on hot exhaust, burn wiring in few seconds, then the automatic locks on the doors wouldn't work or the elect windows in some bad cases. Even carbureted engine had this problem if the float stuck and pumps gas out the vent fill top intake and reached the hot exhaust manifolds. This happened to me in early 80s truck. Smell gas and immediately pulled over, when I popped the hood the intake manifold was covered with gas. I got lucky it didn't catch fire. If I kept driving I'm sure it would have.
Old 05-13-2017, 10:03 AM

They had a recall a couple years ago for this problem. This why you should not disregard recall notices.
Closed Thread

Tags
maintenance, imo, lack, flames, bmws

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.