Boll and Branch sheets

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2019, 07:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
OK, I have to admit it, I'm cracking the heck up at some of the comments...in this thread.

Especially the ones comparing used sheets...to used toothbrushes.

I wonder how many people actually believe, that a hotel buys a new set of sheets for each room...for each new nightly customer?

Or have ever stayed overnight at a friend's house and think the friend went out and bought a new set of sheets just for you...then threw them away after you left?

Or have had a guest at your own house and you bought a new set of sheets...and threw them out after they left?

Here's a newsflash, they have these new-fangled gadgets...called 'washers & dryers.'

Here's a pic if you've never previously seen one, or either, of them.

And what's really cool...is they even make matching sets!

These are like mine, that I bought from Costco (I LOVE Costco)...for a really good price.

I agree with everything you said but, but, but ...

If I buy "new sheets", I expect to get sheets that no one has ever slept on -- even if they were washed -- I get finicky about certain things. LOL
Old 05-05-2019, 08:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post

If I buy "new sheets", I expect to get sheets that no one has ever slept on -- even if they were washed -- I get finicky about certain things. LOL
But, but, but, as has been stated earlier, if e-bay finds out you are selling a 'used' item as 'new'...they are extremely strict on that kind of thing.

Although I personally have only used e-bay a few times, the extraordinary lengths they go to in protecting the buyer...is the reason they have grown so large.

And yes, I get that we are all sometimes inconsistent...in our 'finickiness.'

Almost no one gives sleeping on washed used sheets in a hotel or friends place a second thought...yet seem to draw the line at buying them.

In this case though, I'm thinking (given the number of sets the buyer is advertising, with no complaints of being 'used') that they are actually...new, as advertised.

But hey, it's always our choice to pay a lot more for the exact same thing somewhere else...cause it's the American way.

Heck, a lot of retailers became very successful by charging more, for the exact same product elsewhere, thereby making buyers think they're getting something of higher quality.

Even though, they are...the exact same thing.

The same psychology exists with those who will only buy 'name brands,' even after scientific tests have shown that the lower priced 'house brand'...is either the same or even better.

As the perfect example, in the early 90's, when most golf drivers were still persimmon (some were already aluminum) and selling for about $150, Eli Callaway made the 'Big Bertha' driver out of aluminum and had the audacity...to charge more than DOUBLE the average driver price at the time!!!

Most of the experts claimed that the price was so high...that it would be a huge flop.

Well, guess what...the exact opposite occurred.

HOWEVER, there was the prevailing psychology of golfers, that if it cost that much...it must be worth it.

Admittedly, us golfers can be a strange bunch in trying to find that 'magic' something that will drop 5+ strokes off of our index...but Eli's strategy proved a point.

People will pay a lot more for something, even if it is basically the same as something else, based simply on the thought that since it's more expensive...it must be much better.

Old 05-05-2019, 09:48 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

I know what you mean. My grandmother started calling me persnickety when I was about 4 years old. Some things never change.

Interestingly timely — this morning on CBS Sunday Morning, there was a segment called “Many Happy Returns.”

It was about the liquidation businesses that have been expanded tremendously due to e-commerce and all the returns therein.

I bet you can find it with a Google. (I still never have learned to link on my iPad.)
Old 05-05-2019, 10:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
I know what you mean. My grandmother started calling me persnickety when I was about 4 years old. Some things never change.

Interestingly timely — this morning on CBS Sunday Morning, there was a segment called “Many Happy Returns.”

It was about the liquidation businesses that have been expanded tremendously due to e-commerce and all the returns therein.

I bet you can find it with a Google. (I still never have learned to link on my iPad.)

I found it!

Very interesting...thanks!

Many Happy Returns (poke here)

Quote:
What happens to products you buy that you return? And what about the stuff that brick-and-mortar-stores or online merchandisers can't sell? It may end up in the hands of Curtis Greve, a vice president of Inmar, which has 25 facilities and 5,000 employees around the country devoted to processing and reselling goods for what's known as the secondary market.

His company handles "Everything from diapers to dinosaurs," he said.

Truckloads of stuff arrive and leave Inmar warehouses every day. Much of it is merchandise that traditional outlets just can't unload. or outdated seasonal products. But a third of it is customer returns, mostly from online purchases.

"A typical brick-and-mortar store will return about 8% of their sales," Greve told correspondent Rita Braver. "For ecommerce, that can be 25% to 40% in some cases."
Old 05-05-2019, 02:39 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:

I found it!

Very interesting...thanks!

Many Happy Returns (poke here)

Thank you, ColdNoMore, for providing the link to what I was talking about this morning in my earlier post. (I have had this iPad for years and still keep forgetting to learn how to link on it.)

I had just read this thread and was thinking about what BK said so I, too, started wondering about where all those online shopped returns end up.

Then, I turned on the television and there was CBS Sunday Morning answering that very question. Weird, huh?

I like an interesting little segue in a thread sometimes, meandering a bit, just like real conversation.

And now, we know where all that returned stuff goes. Those quickly expanding liquidating businesses are a classic example of “find a niche and fill it.”

I loved the part about the wedding dresses for such a deal that women could not resist the bargain, and bought the dress, even long before they had found their mate.

Anyway, thanks.
Old 05-05-2019, 03:11 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thank you, ColdNoMore, for providing the link to what I was talking about this morning in my earlier post. (I have had this iPad for years and still keep forgetting to learn how to link on it.)

I had just read this thread and was thinking about what BK said so I, too, started wondering about where all those online shopped returns end up.

Then, I turned on the television and there was CBS Sunday Morning answering that very question. Weird, huh?

I like an interesting little segue in a thread sometimes, meandering a bit, just like real conversation.

And now, we know where all that returned stuff goes. Those quickly expanding liquidating businesses are a classic example of “find a niche and fill it.”

I loved the part about the wedding dresses for such a deal that women could not resist the bargain, and bought the dress, even long before they had found their mate.

Anyway, thanks.

I loved the part about the wedding dresses also.

So much so in fact, I gave serious thought to go to the site and buy a half-dozen or so right now...for my granddaughter's future wedding.

Which means the advertising was extremely effective and the urge strong, given the fact that she has yet to even have been born...as all I have currently are 3 grandsons.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

I loved the part about the wedding dresses also.

So much so in fact, I gave serious thought to go to the site and buy a half-dozen or so right now...for my granddaughter's future wedding.

Which means the advertising was extremely effective and the urge strong, given the fact that she has yet to even have been born...as all I have currently are 3 grandsons.

BE PREPARED! LOL . Isn't that the motto of the boyscouts?
Old 05-05-2019, 04:43 PM
Platinum member

Now back to discounted Boil & Branch sheets --

Boomer's link to the secondary "returns" market was interesting and reminded me of another "factoid" that may add additional light on this subject. And that is: Factory Outlets.

I read an article a few years ago that in essence said that due to strong sales at their Outlets, many retailers had items specifically manufactured for their outlet market. So while some of us thought we were getting a "bargain" we were in fact buying an inferior product!
Old 05-05-2019, 05:06 PM
Sage

Quote:
Now back to discounted Boil & Branch sheets --

Boomer's link to the secondary "returns" market was interesting and reminded me of another "factoid" that may add additional light on this subject. And that is: Factory Outlets.

I read an article a few years ago that in essence said that due to strong sales at their Outlets, many retailers had items specifically manufactured for their outlet market. So while some of us thought we were getting a "bargain" we were in fact buying an inferior product!
I had read something years and years ago, that most items in the 'brand name' (anyway) outlet stores, were mostly items that were either out of style, didn't sell well, had unpopular prints/designs or had minor imperfections...like a poorly stitched seam or something.

I've also never found the outlet prices, on average, to be that much less than what you could find in the regular stores...especially when on sale.

But I readily admit to not being all that great (or even caring to be) a great shopper, as most of what I've learned has been from my better half...who is a true 'quality bargain finder.'

As for me, I never use coupons (I tried giving my CVS coupons away, but found out they only apply to the purchaser and you can't even give them to the nice lady behind you in line ), look for sales in the paper or even usually compare prices...unless it's a 'big ticket' item.

I just go into the store where I know they have what I'm looking for...and buy it.

And yes, it can cause some marital friction.

It's interesting to hear however, that now items are being made specifically...for their outlet stores.
Old 05-05-2019, 05:16 PM
Platinum member

Found this fascinating "expose"

The Ugly Truth About Outlet Stores Will Break Your Heart | HuffPost Life

and another:

The Truth Behind Discount and Outlet Stores - BoutiqueBoutique

Tags
sheets, worth, money, purchased, branch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.