Do you purchase a product or service because

Closed Thread
Old 10-30-2021, 09:09 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts
Default Do you purchase a product or service because

some celebrity is telling you how great it is? In the past there was the picture of a famous athlete on the Wheaties box but the for last few years there seem to be celebrities in all sorts of commercials for all kinds of products or services.
Does this type of endorsement affect your decision to purchase it? I don't think I've ever bought anything because some celebrity told me to buy it. I imagine they pay these celebrities a significant fee for doing the commercial but I wonder if it really increases sales.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:10 AM

No. Tom Selleck and reverse mortgages
Old 10-30-2021, 10:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

As you are certainly well aware the use of famous persons is to consciously or subconsciously link the positive feelings you have with the product being sold. It doesn't have to as blatant as Trump steaks. The public thinks Arnold is tough, get him to endorse your work boots. The public thinks Bill Nye is smart, get him to endorse your hybrid car.

If a woman is attractive, get her to lean against the muscle car you're selling. In that case it is not the famous face, it is the not so subtle suggestion that you'll get more than a fast car if you buy the product. Our brains make connections even when there is no good reason. More babies are not born when there is a full moon but many delivery room nurses say that full moon nights are the busiest.

If celebrity ads didn't work, the ad companies would have figured it out by now.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:50 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

Those of a weak mind fall for those ads and spam calls. I, thankfully not yet, do not fall into that category. Yet it's only a matter of time.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,688 Times in 5,234 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
Those of a weak mind fall for those ads and spam calls. I, thankfully not yet, do not fall into that category. Yet it's only a matter of time.
If that is true, then there are a lot of weak minded people, and not just old ones.
Old 10-30-2021, 11:54 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Although I am sure celebrity ads subconsciously affect my purchasing decisions what consciously affects them negatively are ads I find offensive. I avoid those products as much as possible.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 10-30-2021, 12:26 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
As you are certainly well aware the use of famous persons is to consciously or subconsciously link the positive feelings you have with the product being sold. It doesn't have to as blatant as Trump steaks. The public thinks Arnold is tough, get him to endorse your work boots. The public thinks Bill Nye is smart, get him to endorse your hybrid car.

If a woman is attractive, get her to lean against the muscle car you're selling. In that case it is not the famous face, it is the not so subtle suggestion that you'll get more than a fast car if you buy the product. Our brains make connections even when there is no good reason. More babies are not born when there is a full moon but many delivery room nurses say that full moon nights are the busiest.

If celebrity ads didn't work, the ad companies would have figured it out by now.

"If celebrity ads didn't work, the ad companies would have figured it out by now."

There's the answer in a nutshell.
Old 10-30-2021, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

I don't know if it is the celebrity or the product they are endorsing, that makes people buy stuff.
I do know that labels are very important.
Our two grandsons would stick pins in their eyes before being seen in public in any clothing that did not have a peer acceptable label on it.
Peer pressure on the young is a big influence in my opinion..
As for me, I am just an old scruff bag most of the time, but the kids think I still scrub up well when pushed!
Old 10-31-2021, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If that is true, then there are a lot of weak minded people, and not just old ones.
There you go, yes, there are many gullible people who fall for what they hear and what they are told. If you tell a lie often enough, (some) people will see it as truth.
Old 10-31-2021, 04:57 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
No. Tom Selleck and reverse mortgages������
Or William Shatner...
Old 10-31-2021, 05:13 AM
Veteran member
Default gullible OR -------------

peer acceptance is more like it ,,, unless your a "GOTH:

anti everybody else ........

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post
There you go, yes, there are many gullible people who fall for what they hear and what they are told. If you tell a lie often enough, (some) people will see it as truth.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 557 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswirs View Post

" If you tell a lie often enough, (some) people will see it as truth."

We're watching that truism play out every day.
Old 10-31-2021, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
No. Tom Selleck and reverse mortgages������
When looking for a reverse mortgage I called them first, but after some research I went with a different Co. It always pays to look around.
Old 10-31-2021, 06:11 AM

Coupons and Advertising is done to MOVE merchandise. (period end of story)

If you are using a coupon the retailer realized they have too much or it's out of season.. and welp here is 10% off to get this down the road- it's called steering folks. (avoid it and buy ONLY what you need) like toilet paper and lysol. (buy as much as your kia can hold)
Old 10-31-2021, 06:25 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

No but I will avoid buying a product or service because of the celebrity they have advertising it. No more sandwiches made by a certain underground railway company because of their futbol spokesperson and definitely no more anything with a swoosh on it because of their relationship with a former football player that tends to kneel when he sees our flag or hears our great national anthem. My golf bag went to the curb because of the symbol on it. That’s how I roll
Closed Thread

Tags
celebrities, celebrity, purchase, decision, bought

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.