Bringing wine when invited to dinner

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2017, 06:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,636 Times in 951 Posts

I make my own wine, and often bring it as a present. Here's the deal: There is no guarantee that the wine you brought will be well received by the dinner guests. When a host or hostess has spent a lot of time preparing a meal and picking out the wine THEY decided would pair nicely with what hey have prepared, it's a bit presumptuous to assume that they will brush that aside for whatever you happened to walk through the door with, unless you've discussed it ahead of time with the cook.

I do appreciate it when at some point the recipient of my gift acknowledges it. Unfortunately, since they know I made it myself, I can never believe I got an honest review.
Old 05-21-2017, 06:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

When I bring wine and they try to serve it, I always say, "I was hoping you had something better than that to drink". But, seriously, the wine you bring is a gift and the host has no obligation to serve it.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:02 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I don't know much about etiquette, but I am learning...a work in progress. I recently discovered that it is considered tacky to take a cooler to church. Won't be going to that church again.
Old 05-21-2017, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelegges View Post
Ok was this a rare or hard to acquire bottle of wine? If you were uncomfortable taking the wine due to cost and thought you should take it back is unheard of. Unless you were asked to bring a certain bottle to have with dinner, then your bottle is just that a GIFT.
We have had dinner parties that each course is well planned out and I take extreme time and effort to make sure that each wine matches perfectly with each course. A bottle brought as a gift should be enjoyed at a different time
The underlined above...says it all.

I've never even heard of someone wanting to get their bottle back...because it wasn't used for a preplanned dinner at someone else's home.

Learn something new every day I guess.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BK001 View Post
Yes. George Costanza and his parent are invited to dinner at George's future in-laws to which they brought a loaf of bread. George's father was so upset that they didn't serve the bread with dinner that George winds up stealing the bread on their way out.
f I'm not mistaken George decides to go back to his future in-laws and breaks into the house to return the bread. Of course in typical Seinfeld fashion, hilarity ensues.
These responses are hysterical! This bottle of wine was to my family's house. I just know my sister will slurp it down by herself. I should have grabbed it back to my car while she was in the bathroom! Actually, I have a wine purse. I should have slipped it back in there and replaced it with a Lakeridge!

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?
Old 05-21-2017, 10:21 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFSkol View Post
As a wine professional for over 30 years I must say it definitely.......depends.

1. If the bottle is wrapped it is a gift.
2. If not wrapped it is meant to be enjoyed with the meal. (Further indicated by having a corkscrew in the other hand.)

David Copperfield - "I always attend dinner parties with Grape Expectations."
Yes. I will bring a cork screw and say "may I" or "allow me". or, I'll just uncork it and say, "this one needs to breathe"!!!

New Jersey,
New York
Germany,
California
Northern MN,
The Villages
Next stop?

Last edited by Tweety Bird; 05-21-2017 at 10:28 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 05:36 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

If you show up with a bottle of wine, it is a gift and the hostess can decide to keep it, serve it, or whatever. If I am going to bring wine I want served, I call before and tell the hostess that I would like to bring a bottle to serve with a dinner course, what will you be serving? After she responds, I say I will bring a bottle for X course if that works OK for you. I chill it if required or get it to whatever the proper temperature is, offer to open it to breathe when the proper time for that is, and voila, my wine is served.

If just a gift I put it in a wine bag and would never expect it to be served. But hey, I can drink Boone's Farm anytime.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:44 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
These responses are hysterical! This bottle of wine was to my family's house. I just know my sister will slurp it down by herself. I should have grabbed it back to my car while she was in the bathroom! Actually, I have a wine purse. I should have slipped it back in there and replaced it with a Lakeridge!
AHA! The plot thickens............
Old 05-22-2017, 07:50 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Oh my! This thread is already into its third page of whining about wine.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 05-22-2017, 08:08 AM

Maybe you will get it back at yourparty
Old 05-22-2017, 06:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapscallion St Croix View Post
I don't know much about etiquette, but I am learning...a work in progress. I recently discovered that it is considered tacky to take a cooler to church. Won't be going to that church again.
don't want to be smoking either. GOD don't like that, he told somebody.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

I'm sometimes invited to play tennis on clay at private resident. I always bring two cans of balls for clay courts and leave them. We also was invited for dinner and took whine, we didn't think of taking it back. I could care less what they do with it. Small token for price of meal.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety Bird View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
AHA! The plot thickens............
Yep!

It just went from an 'etiquette' issue...to a 'family' one.
Closed Thread

Tags
wine, brought, hostess, invited, bringing

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.