Brown Recluse Spider

Closed Thread
Old 04-06-2013, 06:24 AM
Platinum member
Default Brown Recluse Spider

Do you have these in the villages ?

I saw this on the web.

Brown Recluse Spider . . ..
At this time of year, this is worth seeing.
Show these picture to your spouse, your kids, grand kids, and friends. It could save their lives. Remember what this Spider looks like and be careful while cleaning, as told below.
It's summertime & cleanup is going on. Be careful where you put your hands. They like dark spaces & woodpiles. Also cool areas in the attic............................................

The Brown Recluse Spider is the most
dangerous spider that we have here in the USA.

A person can die from it’s bite. We all should know what the spider looks like.

Send this around to people you love, because it is almost summer time.

People will be digging around, doing yard work, spring cleaning, and sometimes in their attics.

Please be careful.
Spider bites are dangerous and can have permanent and highly negative consequences.

They like the darkness and tend to live in storage sheds or attics or other areas that might not be frequented by people or light.

If you have a need to be in your attic, go up there and turn on a light and leave it on for about 30 minutes before you go in to do your work.

Chloe
&
Lulu

Last edited by Cisco Kid; 10-22-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:30 AM
Gold member

Thanks for posting! We had a man out to the house last June to show us how to work the pump to our Pool. When he removed one of the caps on pump there was the spider! He threw the cap up and when it landed his partner stepped on the spider...squish! They told us how dangerous those spiders are. Be careful out there!
Old 04-06-2013, 08:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Great finishing on lanai's here.

Sweetie and I were talking last night about how "tight" the lanai's are here as we rarely see bugs on the lanai. On our previous home with siding the geckos could get in more easily than this one that is block and stucco.

On our screened in porch in Ohio we would have to remove spider webs from under the chairs and in the corners a LOT. We have never had to do that here. I have always NOT LIKED spiders and particularly fear the brown recluse for the very reasons you named, Cisco. Your heads up was an important reminder, and I responded sillily...is that a word?

I remember a previous thread on here about the Brown recluse.

(I am glad that the moderator removed my last post on the subject. ) I will try to do better.

Anyone have any bad experiences with brown recluse spiders in TV?
Old 04-06-2013, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
Do you have these in the villages ?

I saw this on the web.

Brown Recluse Spider . . ..
At this time of year, this is worth seeing.
Show these picture to your spouse, your kids, grand kids, and friends. It could save their lives. Remember what this Spider looks like and be careful while cleaning, as told below.
It's summertime & cleanup is going on. Be careful where you put your hands. They like dark spaces & woodpiles. Also cool areas in the attic............................................

The Brown Recluse Spider is the most
dangerous spider that we have here in the USA.

A person can die from it’s bite. We all should know what the spider looks like.

Send this around to people you love, because it is almost summer time.

People will be digging around, doing yard work, spring cleaning, and sometimes in their attics.

Please be careful.
Spider bites are dangerous and can have permanent and highly negative consequences.

They like the darkness and tend to live in storage sheds or attics or other areas that might not be frequented by people or light.

If you have a need to be in your attic, go up there and turn on a light and leave it on for about 30 minutes before you go in to do your work.
These are very dangerous. My neighbor was bitten by one of these on the ankle about 18 months ago. She had to have extensive therapies and surgeries to get better. They could not do a whole lot for her here in the Villages' hospitals so she travelled out-of-state to get this treatment. You never know just how your system will react to the poison in brown recluse spider bites. http://www.ask.com/wiki/Loxoscelism?o=3986&qsrc=999
Old 04-06-2013, 09:47 AM

I always lift up the toilet seat and flush before I sit down they have been known to reside in toilets! My question is how big is the brown recluse spider. Would it fit on a dime? a quarter... half dollar? It lookes (in this picture) like a Wolf Spider that is as big as a half dollar or larger and is quick. Is the spider quick? an orbweaver? I am pretty good at identifying some spiders (most snakes) but I can say that I have ever identified a brown recluse. Of course I freak at the site of a spider and kill all of them.
Old 04-06-2013, 10:50 AM
Sage

They range from a body length of 1/4 to 3/4 inches in length. Average length is about 1/3 inches.
Old 04-06-2013, 11:37 AM
Veteran member

I know thare are Black Widows here, I had one in my lanai!
Old 04-06-2013, 09:25 PM
Sage

While I have not seen a brown recluse spider in Florida, I have been told by the golf ambassadors that there are brown recluse spiders as well as pygmy rattlesnakes in the tall grasses on the golf course. Be careful when retrieving those errant golf balls.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:33 PM
Veteran member

They are NASTY and the bites can give you a very bad cellulitis, and in cases with the elderly who may have compromised immunity for a variety of reasons, the bites can kill. Do NOT mess around with these things. They a VERY bad news.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
While I have not seen a brown recluse spider in Florida, I have been told by the golf ambassadors that there are brown recluse spiders as well as pygmy rattlesnakes in the tall grasses on the golf course. Be careful when retrieving those errant golf balls.
Not to derail the thread, but what is a "golf ambassador"?
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 PM
Sage

Down here in The Villages, the "marshals" at the golf courses are called "ambassadors". The term is friendlier than MARSHAL but basically do the same - such as keep players at the proper speed, provide ice water, have communications in case of emergency, etc.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Fiddler Backs (brown recluse) spiders are very bad here in OK. Especially outside the city. Spiders, ants, rodents ect... (anything that breaths are easily kill by airseal canisters (Black flag, raid) bug bombs for the do it yourselfer. I have to bomb about every 4 to 6 months where I live. But, You have to read the label, follow the instructions and use resperator when setting them off. Course no pilots or applances can be on while bug bombing.

Fiddler backs are wondering spiders they do NOT make webs, the catch their prey on the fly (or eight legs, archnids). In older homes they will go up in the attic during the day time and come down at night to hunt. So just doing the inside of the house will not get the majority of them. You have to do the attic also or basement or crawl space.

There's worst spider thats making it way across USA from the NorthWest called the wondering spider which looks similar to the brown recluse but twice or three times as bad bit.

Black widows rarely come inside and are web spider and love shoes left out on the patio's. Do NOT leave you shoes outside and stick you foot in them without checking them. Here we also have abundents of Black widows at night when I shine my flash light around the house in the flowers and I can see the Hour glass shinning back at me. Rarely have problem with black widows but I don't leave nothing outside (gloves, shoes, jackets for them to crawl into.

We have orbweaver spiders here also which only come out at night and make the big webs across paths from tree to tree. I got bit by one few years ago. They say they are harmless ( guess that means your arm don't fall off) it was nasty sore that took months to heal. Not as bad as brown recluse but wasn't harmless IMO with non-healing hole size of quarter for months.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggyone View Post
Down here in The Villages, the "marshals" at the golf courses are called "ambassadors". The term is friendlier than MARSHAL but basically do the same - such as keep players at the proper speed, provide ice water, have communications in case of emergency, etc.
Now I know TWO things! Didn't know what a golf ambassador was, and had never heard of a golf marshall either.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack184 View Post
Now I know TWO things! Didn't know what a golf ambassador was, and had never heard of a golf marshall either.
Both called rangers on some courses.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

what is a "golf ambassador " Play ground monitor
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.