Burning our American Flag

Closed Thread
Old 11-05-2013, 07:50 AM
Veteran member
Default Burning our American Flag

This is something that has bothered me for quite some time. It concerns the countries that have riots and demonstrations in which they are burning our Flag. My question is where do they get our Flag to burn? Is there an American Flag Store on the corner? It's hard enough for us Americans to find our Flag for sale in our local stores and if we do, it surely isn't the size we see pictures of when they have a demonstration.
Just something I wonder whenever I see our proud Flag destroyed by the very people we fund with American dollars and American lives that fight for them.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonrich View Post
It's hard enough for us Americans to find our Flag for sale in our local stores and if we do, it surely isn't the size we see pictures of when they have a demonstration.
Just something I wonder whenever I see our proud Flag destroyed by the very people we fund with American dollars and American lives that fight for them.
If you find it "hard" to find a big flag of "the size we see" in demonstrations... there is a store called Walmart which is pretty much everywhere where you can get a 60 inch by 96 inch flag any time you want one. Most demonstrators use a smaller one as 5 feet by 8 feet is too large to easily handle. Ace Hardware has a 3 by 5 foot flag for us to purchase as I would think almost any hardware or general merchandise store does.

If burning a flag were the worst form of protest utilized by aggrieved Americans or foreigners life would be pretty great. Free speech, it is perhaps the greatest of our liberties. I may detest what you say but I will defend your right to say it.....

It is extremely unlikely that the people who chose to burn the flag are the people who we fund or we fight for. It is more likely that those who protest American policy with flag burning have a corrupt government that may be getting dollars and using those dollars to crush opposition voices in their nation. And every American president uses American lives and power to protect the interests of this country. (rare exceptions such as Yugoslavia and Libya where our primary motivation may have been humanitarian, may have been)
Old 11-05-2013, 12:19 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueash View Post
It is extremely unlikely that the people who chose to burn the flag are the people who we fund or we fight for. It is more likely that those who protest American policy with flag burning have a corrupt government that may be getting dollars and using those dollars to crush opposition voices in their nation. And every American president uses American lives and power to protect the interests of this country. (rare exceptions such as Yugoslavia and Libya where our primary motivation may have been humanitarian, may have been)
Maybe you miss all of the articles of countries we sends billions of dollars to that burn the US flag. Pakistan, Mexico, Iraq to mention a few. We give, give, give and they all hate us.

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Platinum member

The need for love is certainly not the motivation for providing aid to those countries that don't hold us in very high regard.

That which does not destroy you, makes you stronger- Nietzsche
Old 11-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleMN View Post
The need for love is certainly not the motivation for providing aid to those countries that don't hold us in very high regard.
This reminded me of "Keep your friends close, and your enemies even closer" said by Kennedy (and others). I wish he were still here today.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,162 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
Maybe you miss all of the articles of countries we sends billions of dollars to that burn the US flag. Pakistan, Mexico, Iraq to mention a few. We give, give, give and they all hate us.

Z
Or perhaps you may care to re-read what I wrote. Countries don't burn the US Flag, people do. We too often send money to prop up governments which support US policy or the multinational corporations we like. I would prefer that we support governments which use that aid to meaningfully improve the health and welfare of their citizens. Sometimes the citizens of those countries don't agree with their own government and resent the large role the US has in supporting that government. Sometimes if "they all hate us", which is not accurate, it may be time to evaluate why.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:01 PM

These people that burn our flag hate us and we give their countries hundreds of millions of dollars and military support. I don't understand why we do this--- they will hate us for free.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:13 PM
Veteran member

If you find it "hard" to find a big flag of "the size we see" in demonstrations... there is a store called Walmart which is pretty much everywhere where you can get a 60 inch by 96 inch flag any time you want one. Most demonstrators use a smaller one as 5 feet by 8 feet is too large to easily handle. Ace Hardware has a 3 by 5 foot flag for us to purchase as I would think almost any hardware or general merchandise store does.

Like I said, Walmart, Target, K-Mart all are hard to find among all the Thanksgiving decorations, then add in the soon to be Christmas decorations, trees, lights, wrapping paper, lots of candy, and prepping up for our "Black Friday" celebration. But I did forget about Ace Hardware, thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:14 PM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=bonrich;775028]If you find it "hard" to find a big flag of "the size we see" in demonstrations... there is a store called Walmart which is pretty much everywhere where you can get a 60 inch by 96 inch flag any time you want one. Most demonstrators use a smaller one as 5 feet by 8 feet is too large to easily handle. Ace Hardware has a 3 by 5 foot flag for us to purchase as I would think almost any hardware or general merchandise store does.

Like I said, Walmart, Target, K-Mart all are hard to find among all the Thanksgiving decorations, then add in the soon to be Christmas decorations, trees, lights, wrapping paper, lots of candy, and prepping up for our "Black Friday" celebration. But I did forget about Ace Hardware, thanks for the heads up.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:31 PM
Veteran member

Sorry for the duplicate posts. Cannot figure how to delete one or both of them.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:21 PM

I agree, but how about this as an alternative to financial foreign aid. Instead of giving these countries financial aid, which often ends up in the pockets of corrupt leaders, and don't just send them goods which end up in warehouses and then sold on the black market. Instead provide goods and services distributed and administered by our military. The people who need the help will get it and they will appreciate what we are doing for them. Hopefully the side effect would be we will see less American flag burnings.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

flag burners always seem to be able to have a camera or media nearby....

idiots getting their 3 minutes of fame....they usually have tp put the rocks they throw down to handle the flag.....idiots not worth the coverage nor the discussion.

btk
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.