Buying a used car.

Buying a used car.

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements

Old 12-18-2018, 09:07 AM

Due diligence is the key. Get the VIN and run a Carfax or other reports that are like Carfax. Also ask if you can have a mechanic check it out. Even if you don't intend to follow through with having it checked, it is very telling if you ask that question and the owner says no. I haven't done anything with Craigslist down here but when my kids were getting to driving age, I used Craigslist several times for both buying and selling. Common sense applies - if something seems too good to be true, it probably is. There are many websites and apps that you can use if you want to stay away from Craigslist though. The classifieds section here on TOTV is good but selection may be limited based on what you are looking for, unless you are shopping for a sports car or antique.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Veteran member

Location: The Berkshires of Western Massachusetts and the Villages

We bought an absolutely beautiful used BMW convertable that we saw in the classifieds right here on TOV. We paid less than the price of a new golf cart for what we view as the luxury car of our dreams. A one owner car, always garaged, very well cared for (with all service records), never seen snow or road salt, with only about 60,000 miles. The low price is because the car is 13 years old . I would say the car is about a 9.5 on a scale of 10 condition wise. It is almost too nice because I feel the need to wash and wax it to keep it looking like when we bought it. I plan to put a couple thousand dollars into it just to be sure the components that typically fail with age are updated (I wish it was that easy to do with my own body). It appears to be hit or miss when good cars are available, but if you take your time and are patient one will come along.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2018, 09:23 AM
Platinum member

If I were selling a car, I would allow the buyer to bring a mechanic to look at the car, but I don't think I would allow the car to be taken to a repair shop. I would be more suspicious of the buyer then he would be of me.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:33 AM
Gold member

Honda has not used a timing belt (they use a timing chain) in their 4-cylinder engines in quite some time - at least 14 years, maybe longer. Their V-6 engines have been using timing belts. I would certainly recommend going with a car with a timing chain if at all possible. You can easily determine this with a Google search.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northerner52 View Post
Check out this link: Access Denied
Toyota stopped using timing best years ago but Honda still uses them a lot.
Big fan of auto trader.
Have you considered a low cost lease with no money down?
Old 12-18-2018, 09:39 AM
Sage

Be watchful for vehicles that were anywhere near the Houston, TX. area...in the last couple of years.

Buyers beware of flood cars from Houston

Quote:
"(A damaged car) can pass a general inspection. You'll need to get the mechanic to search specifically for flood damage," he explained.

An estimated 500,000 to 1 million vehicles were ruined in the recent floods from Hurricane Harvey, according to a news release from the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles.

Another good reason to have a good mechanic look it over before purchasing...even if it costs you a few dollars.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:42 AM
Sage

Location: Smithville (Kansas City) Mo./ Megan Villas, Sanibel TV

Dittos on the Carfax! The last used car I bought was in 2008. I decided I would buy either a one-owner Cadillac or a Lincoln - why? - because they had the greatest depreciation of any brands, they are usually owned by older drivers, who take it easy with them, and they are often owned by well-off individuals who keep them well maintained. I found a 2003 Cadillac DTS with just under 50k miles at a local dealership. I got the Carfax and it was a one-owner with no accidents. The original owner was 80+ years old and had brought it in to sell as he was ordered by doctors to quit driving. I bought the car, which was perfect, for $10,800. This car was $55,000 originally, so the first owner got 50,000 miles for about $45,000 and I got the next 110,000 carefree miles for about $ 7000 after trading it on a new car for $4000 six years later. Somebody probably got a great deal on it after me because it probably had another good 60-80,000 miles or more in it.

Last edited by eweissenbach; 12-18-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 12-18-2018, 09:46 AM
Platinum member

I think it is important to consider safety when buying a car. The newer cars are way more safe than older cars because of the latest safety features. Things like electronic stability, backup cameras, automatic headlights and wipers, blindspot alarms, tire pressure indicators, and other indicators and alarms. When I replaced my 13 year old car with a similar new car, my car insurance rate actually went down because of the safety features.
Old 12-18-2018, 12:06 PM
Sage

Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
If I were selling a car, I would allow the buyer to bring a mechanic to look at the car, but I don't think I would allow the car to be taken to a repair shop. I would be more suspicious of the buyer then he would be of me.
I agree, I’m not going to let somebody I don’t know drive off and take my car to unknown mechanic. Just cause someone a mechanic at job blows shop don’t make him an expert. The problem are if you can’t determine the condition of the car and rely on someone else or system that only has history that was inputted it’s still gamble, even if you are real expert it still gamble unless you know the person, conditions, and the car.

I just my vehicles cause usually don’t want to deal with selling vehicle privately. Yes, I usually get took, but, it is what is is,
Old 12-18-2018, 02:43 PM

Thanking everyone for their replies and good advice. I’ve googles tining chain.

Tags
cars, car, question, range, $7500