Buying a washing machine? Caveat!

Closed Thread
Old 04-22-2018, 06:33 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN
Default Buying a washing machine? Caveat!

Thanks to Federal regulations, new washing machines now come equipped with lid locks and auto sensing (of water level). If you don't want either, Speed Queen machines are more traditional although it does now have lid lock. But this lid lock will unlock if the unlock button is pressed.

So ask questions when shopping. Don't be tempted by those lovely looking gray machines. We threw ours out when we moved into our house.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the info. Will be in the market for a set soon. Dislike all the excessive technology options they have today.
Old 04-22-2018, 06:52 PM
fw102807

We have Speed Queen and love it.
Old 04-23-2018, 02:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Drayton Plains, MI, Vietnam, Waterford, MI, Pennacamp, Fernandina, Duval, 1 retired in Richmond
Thanked 1,588 Times in 567 Posts

We just bought from Best Buy bought whirlpool lid does lock but has unlock button at anytime. Speed Queen depth would not fit in our space.
Old 04-23-2018, 04:41 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

We had a Sears Elite something-or-other, and even with a water softener and filtration system, it would not get whites clean. I suspected it was the water saver feature, which we could do nothing about. Upon selling the house, we rented a CYV for a week that had a Sears 600 series with a button for allowing extra water. Voila! Bright colors, white whites.

Our next house will either have a Speed Queen (if it fits) or some brand that allows for using enough water to get the clothes clean. No sense in conserving water if it ruins your clothing.

I also remember someone on here returning a Samsung because the clothing came out of the washer with dry spots on it.

Last edited by CFrance; 04-23-2018 at 04:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
We had a Sears Elite something-or-other, and even with a water softener and filtration system, it would not get whites clean. I suspected it was the water saver feature, which we could do nothing about. Upon selling the house, we rented a CYV for a week that had a Sears 600 series with a button for allowing extra water. Voila! Bright colors, white whites.

Our next house will either have a Speed Queen (if it fits) or some brand that allows for using enough water to get the clothes clean. No sense in conserving water if it ruins your clothing.

I also remember someone on here returning a Samsung because the clothing came out of the washer with dry spots on it.
Excellent advice, C. We have had our big capacity Maytag for so long, I know it's death is near, but it just keeps chugging and doing it's job.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:46 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Excellent advice, C. We have had our big capacity Maytag for so long, I know it's death is near, but it just keeps chugging and doing it's job.
I wish I had brought my 16-yr-old Frigidaire front loader and dryer with us from Michigan. I bet it's still going (and still getting the clothes clean).

Between low-flush toilets that need to be flushed more than once and water-saver washers that don't do the job, the water-conservation people have not yet gotten it right. They should take a lesson from the dishwasher people.

Or maybe I should wash my clothes in the dishwasher.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

We have an old wash tub and a rock.
No lid lock to contend with or touch pad controls
Then we recycle the wash water on the flower beds

Old 04-23-2018, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Our whirlpool has a deep water option, unless it a small load, I use it. My front loader would not fit depth wise, so top loader it is. I will say my clothes come out clean, I threw in stuff that I normally would pretreat, just to see. Stains came out completely. The clothes have a fresh scent to them.

Tags
lid, machines, washing, unlock, lock

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.