California to ban gas lawn mowers and leaf blowers

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2021, 09:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,689 Times in 5,235 Posts

I totally support any law that will ban leaf blowers.

How about a law to ban wind chimes?
Old 10-11-2021, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Wow! If we could have quieter service in TV - wouldn’t that be a dream? California is subsidizing the change over, trying for zero carbon footprint. I’m not complaining but I could get used to not being woken up pretty well every day to the sound of gas powered equipment.
You’re still going to hear turbine blowing air (movement of large quantities of air) and blades on mower (which makes majority of the noise turning the blades) Just cause it’s electric don’t mean it don’t make noise. IMO only reason gas blowers are real loud cause Rhe removed baffles in mufflers same goes with weed wackier’s.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
You’re still going to hear turbine blowing air (movement of large quantities of air) and blades on mower (which makes majority of the noise turning the blades) Just cause it’s electric don’t mean it don’t make noise. IMO only reason gas blowers are real loud cause Rhe removed baffles in mufflers same goes with weed wackier’s.
My son in Pittsburgh has an electric walk behind mower that is very quiet. He also has a lawn mower tractor that can rapidly mow his large 1 acre lawn. It has 4 batteries! I operated it and I can tell you it is fast, efficient and very quiet. My neighbor here in The Villages has an electric walk behind mower and an electric edger. I see him mowing but you can hardly hear him. Now what a different story with the lawn mowing crews who show up and make a ton of noise for hours. Definitely affects quality of life. I like to sit on my patio in the morning, but when these guys show up I go back in the house. Electric machines are the future. Noise pollution is not healthy. Come on, I know we are all old here, but can’t we accept the new technologies? Just mention “California” and many Villagers begin to go spastic. I lived there for awhile. It was extremely noisy. Highway and landscaper noise drove me crazy. I moved back to New Hampshire and bought two quiet acres in the woods far from any highways. Unfortunately, The Villages is getting crowded and becoming surrounded by more and more building. Routes 466A and 44 have both turned into another 441. I could do with a little more quiet. Of course, right now I have a gas edger and mower so I am part of the problem, but when I replace them I am going electric.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
The state of California can't guarantee that you will have a steady supply of electricity. The state has placed so many restrictions on the utilities that they can't upgrade the lines in some parts of the state. So users could have a problem getting their mower battery charged.

Some firms are offering battery banks to power the home during an the rolling blackouts. Sort of like a silent generator. It's a funny thing, expensive electricity and blackouts the same thing as Kabul, Afghanistan had. How far the state as dropped.
As a lifelong Californian (until moving here to please my wife and try something new) I can say the PG&E was screwing the California citizen for decades. They had the "old school" politicians in their hip pocket and did pretty much what they wanted with little push back. You name it, they got it, yet we can see the shoddiness of the infrastructure they built. There is some "what goes around, comes around" going on now with a political generation more interested in quality of life of the citizens and holding utilities and large corps responsible for their messes.
Many roll their eyes at what happens in California. I would remind them that change moves east in the USA so get ready for it.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:56 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Is it just the two-stroke engines, as they are the more noisy and polluting ones?

I have noticed a big difference in TV since the new gas-engined carts started coming on stream - quieter and less polluting. I assume they are four-stroke?

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 10-12-2021 at 10:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,319 Times in 501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
7 AM is super early. If I need to be up before 9:30-11:30 I need to set an alarm.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Warning: keep the political/homeless/jobless-on-purpose statements out of the thread or it will be closed.
It is a political topic. Why was it allowed in the first place?
Old 10-12-2021, 07:54 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts
Default I lived there for quite a while...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdulej View Post
Spoken like someone who has never been there.
get rid of all the people and it's a fine place to dwell.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:58 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
First gas lawn mowers banned that gas cars banned. The only thing that will still have gas is the politicians.
UK is banning gas cars in 2030. I hope CA does too.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 2,008 Times in 440 Posts

*yawn* and the wacky people who love battery operated things rarely mention: a)where the electricity comes from(wind turbines and solar panels are not efficient enough to power squat)? b)what power do the companies use to mfr the batteries and mower? c)who mines the materials for mfr and what about their fuel? d)what you do when the batteries and mowers go kaput?

It's amazing to me that some folks just think electricity, mining and spent material just appear and disappear like magic. Very short sighted.

If this post is removed then whoever is making that decision just doesn't want facts to interfere with their narrative.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
*yawn* and the wacky people who love battery operated things rarely mention: a)where the electricity comes from(wind turbines and solar panels are not efficient enough to power squat)? b)what power do the companies use to mfr the batteries and mower? c)who mines the materials for mfr and what about their fuel? d)what you do when the batteries and mowers go kaput?

It's amazing to me that some folks just think electricity, mining and spent material just appear and disappear like magic. Very short sighted.

If this post is removed then whoever is making that decision just doesn't want facts to interfere with their narrative.
There is no denying that a move to a new form of power to drive pretty much everything is and will be messy. Just like moving to our current oil based power infrastructure was messy (to put it mildly). That does not change the fact that it is happening. Hop on the electric train or get out of the way.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:43 AM
Sage

Misleading. What they are actually doing is banning the sale of new gas cars in 2030.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelevision View Post
UK is banning gas cars in 2030. I hope CA does too.
Old 10-12-2021, 10:47 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortal1 View Post
*yawn* and the wacky people who love battery operated things rarely mention: a)where the electricity comes from(wind turbines and solar panels are not efficient enough to power squat)? b)what power do the companies use to mfr the batteries and mower? c)who mines the materials for mfr and what about their fuel? d)what you do when the batteries and mowers go kaput? It's amazing to me that some folks just think electricity, mining and spent material just appear and disappear like magic. Very short sighted.
I suspect there were the same, tired arguments 100 years ago when some people thought that a motor car would be better than a horse-drawn cart.

We turn a blind eye to the side-effects of extracting and burning petroleum, and the disposal of old cars, tires etc., yet anything involving what (sorry to have to break this to you) will definitely be the near future sends the Luddites into a tizzy.

Plus ca change...
Old 10-12-2021, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
Misleading. What they are actually doing is banning the sale of new gas cars in 2030.
...and as the actress said to the Bishop, "Good luck with that!"
Old 10-12-2021, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

my son just bought a million+ dollar house in South Pasadena....on a postage size lot, just like everybody else's tiny lot

for the size yard he has mow, an electric/battery mower would easily do the trick...as far as a leaf blower, that's another story.

electric leaf blowers are fine for a small job like clearing a driveway, but not for anything serious

I have a rechargeable leaf blower...I'm forever going to get the rake because I've gone through both batteries and I want to finish the job
Closed Thread

Tags
electric, lawn, leaf, california, blower

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.