California fires

Closed Thread
Old 11-12-2018, 09:34 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Probably fires were part of the natural cycle long before humans showed up in California.

Forest management is difficult and controversial. I remember this fire as I had lived in Los Alamos, NM for nine years although it occurred after I had moved away. Through a mismanaged 'controlled burn' 400 homes were lost in a town of fewer than 18,000 people. Cerro Grande Fire - Wikipedia

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 11-12-2018, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post
Probably fires were part of the natural cycle long before humans showed up in California.

Forest management is difficult and controversial. I remember this fire as I had lived in Los Alamos, NM for nine years although it occurred after I had moved away. Through a mismanaged 'controlled burn' 400 homes were lost in a town of fewer than 18,000 people. Cerro Grande Fire - Wikipedia
You mean its not... gross mismanagement of the forests. ?

I lived there only as a part of my time in the Navy so know nothing, but seems to me that this problem has existed as you say, for a long time.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh View Post
That might seem an idea that could work, but when these fires start, generally there are strong Santa Ana winds blowing....embers fly...then the fires take on “weather” of their own. During our 30+ years in CA, we were fortunate to have only partially experienced one of these horrific fires.....it burned around our town but did destroy many homes on the edges of our city. Trees, homes, cars, destroyed. It was like looking at pictures of the moon, everything in the path of the fire was gone, the landscape was gray. I can’t do much to help, but I can pray and donate. Seems so little, but hopefully, both will help all impacted.
Thank you. I didn't know. Horrible to have to endure this.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by manaboutown View Post

I have just heard that from someone who lived there and someone whose opinion I respect. I guess answers to a lot of problems only look simple from afar.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
i have just heard that from someone who lived there and someone whose opinion i respect. I guess answers to a lot of problems only look simple from afar.
amen
Old 11-12-2018, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,255 Posts

Only man is stupid enough to think he can dictate to Mother Nature. When you have 40-60mph winds and single digit relative humidity all you need is an ignition source. After that humans have absolutely no control until weather conditions improve.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!

Last edited by Kenswing; 11-12-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-12-2018, 11:24 AM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,572 Times in 1,748 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have just heard that from someone who lived there and someone whose opinion I respect. I guess answers to a lot of problems only look simple from afar.
Friends of mine currently reside on Hawaii, the big island, and have been dealing with the VOG from the recent volcanic activity there. My son and his family live in the panhandle of Idaho which could be affected by the super volcano under Yellowstone. We get earthquakes all over the world, typhoons, hurricanes, tornados and tidal waves. Nature takes its course.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Closed Thread

Tags
prayers, traveling, wishes, missing, deserves

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.