How many people donate money to their alma maters, where, and how much?

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Taltarzac
Default How many people donate money to their alma maters, where, and how much?

Curious about how much money as well as where TOTV users donate to their alma maters? Any special reason you donate or with the amounts? ???

I usually donate $2.24, $4.22 $2.42, $1.36, $6.13, $3.16 or some such low number to the University of Minnesota Law School. These are very symbolic numbers to be as I have been using them to improve resources for survivors of crimes in all kinds of libraries since 1993. Even though I started doing this effort-- even if at least one person > where I used to work (the U of MN Law Library) suggested it made me look mentally ill to do so-- in early February of 1991 trying to describe to people why this issue was important to me.

I also have got some very supportive letters about my efforts from some of the people at the U of MN Law School as well as from the ex Dean of the U of MN Law School Robert A. Stein who was also quite high on the American Bar Association totem pole for about a decade or more. Even got a letter from Hillary Clinton and another one from Al Gore, Jr. as well as some from various Republicans.

Ironically, though I have not been able to do much with the U of MN Law Library itself improving a resource for the survivors/victims in MN by getting a link to the MN Victim Service Provider Directory. The last I looked anyway there was not one at the U of MN Law Library web-page nor one anywhere else within the whole University of MN Library system.

I did manage to get a link to FL's Victim Services Directory at the U of FL Law Library http://www.law.ufl.edu/lic/links/florida/ very soon after I made a request for one. Might have helped that the Law Librarian in charge of the U of FL-- M. Kathleen Price-- was the Law Librarian at the U of MN when they hired me from the law school student pool back in 1987. M. Kathleen Price was Law Librarian of Congress from around 1990 through 1995 or so.

Mr. Gary Corsair of the Villages Daily Sun-- also, of course, the Bigfoot article writer-- was kind enough to write an article on me and my work on May 28, 2007 in the Lifestyles section. Thankfully, he did not mention my obsession with the numbers 6 1 3 and 2 2 4, I have been using since 1993 in my efforts to improve access to practical information for survivors/victims of crimes. I did try to get all kinds of people's help with this effort using these numbers (613224) like politicians, First Ladies (the letter from Hillary Clinton for instance is evidence of this effort), movie stars, athletes, comedians, singers, TV show writers, law professors, lawyers, and like, and anyone else I could think of since 1993.

Mr. Gary Corsair :bigthumbsup: of the VDS just mentioned that I had been successful in getting a link to the FL Victims Services Directory at the Lake County Library System and was working on getting them at the Sumter and Marion County Library systems. Which, the last I looked, I still have not been able to do at Sumter and Marion. I could use help-- yeah maybe mental health help-- from other TOTV users (posters and readers) with trying to get Marion and Sumter County Library systems to get a link to the FL Victim Services Directory. Google them but do not forget to put the state of FL in as there are Sumter and Marion Counties in other states.

I have a number of other alma maters-- the U of Nevada, Reno; Denver U., and other schools I have attended like BYU Law School and the College of San Mateo-- but usually only donate small amounts like $2.24 or $3.16 to the U of MN and/or the U of MN Law School.

Would be interesting if any TOTV posters and readers have any intriguing stories about their alma maters, why they donate, and how much?

And could use help with my efforts to help victims in Marion and Sumter County by getting links to the FL Victim Services Directory at Marion and Sumter County's Library systems. ???
Old 01-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna
Default Re: How many people donate money to their alma maters, where, and how much?

Tal, Did you ever take the Bar exam?? Have you practiced law?

My dad was a Trial Lawyer in New York for 45 years..

I was considering looking for a job as a victims advocate, I was going to check with the Lady Lake, PD...Do you have any info on that subject??

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: How many people donate money to their alma maters, where, and how much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
Tal, Did you ever take the Bar exam?? Have you practiced law?

My dad was a Trial Lawyer in New York for 45 years..

I was considering looking for a job as a victims advocate, I was going to check with the Lady Lake, PD...Do you have any info on that subject??
About Lady Lake PD., look at the the FL Victim Services Directory. This should give you information. http://myfloridalegal.com/vicdirect.nsf/Fifth%20Judicial%20Circuit!OpenView

I also have a victim advocate e-mail friend whom I have been e-mailing for a few years. She is fairly close. I will PM you with her e-mail address.

As to the Bar, this is an excuse but I was a little upset about the mental health comments made from, no less, a fellow U of MN Law School Classmate (Class of 1989) back in 1991 when I was studying for the MN Bar and messed up on one of my bar exam questions. I got a 251 when I needed a 260 to pass. I know that sounds lame but I was extremely worried about employment references back in 1991-- with good reason it looks like-- when my mental health was put in issue rather than problems with there being practical materials for victims at the U of MN Law Library. That was my 2nd time attempting the Bar exam. I did not think passing the bar was all that essential in 1990 to being a law librarian.

Usually law librarians do not have to have lawyer certification because we are not allowed to give legal advice when helping library users. It helps to have passed a bar but it is not usually required.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:34 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to Donna Send a message via Yahoo to Donna

"I did not think passing the bar was all that essential in 1990 to being a law librarian."

"Usually law librarians do not have to have lawyer certification because we are not allowed to give legal advice when helping library users. It helps to have passed a bar but it is not usually required."

Sorry Tal..I do know you don't need a law degree to work in the library..I did misunderstand..

Thanks for the information on your friend.. :bigthumbsup:

"Some People Live An Entire Lifetime and Wonder If They Have Ever Made a Difference In The World,
The Marines Don't Have That Problem" "Semper Fi"

"Coincidence is God's way of remaining anonymous" Albert Einstein
Old 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna
"I did not think passing the bar was all that essential in 1990 to being a law librarian."

"Usually law librarians do not have to have lawyer certification because we are not allowed to give legal advice when helping library users. It helps to have passed a bar but it is not usually required."

Sorry Tal..I do know you don't need a law degree to work in the library..I did misunderstand..

Thanks for the information on your friend.. :bigthumbsup:
I do have a law degree just not a current law license. Do have a MA in Librarianship and Information Management as well.

Many law librarians move around a lot too so they would need legal licenses in many states to really give out legal advice after they have changed states.

I went to BYU Law School on a Merit Scholarship as a non-Mormon in 1982. Did not like doing the law work that much so I dropped out to get a MA in Librarianship at Denver U which I got in 1984. Went to the U of MN Law School in 1986 to hopefully become a law librarian and do something from within the law librarianship profession for survivors of crimes but pushed this cause too hard in February through June of 1991 and found all the doors shut to this profession by August of 1991. Tried to do what I could for victims/survivors after that with what resources I had.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:47 AM
Eternal Member

Why do your posts always get off subject? Maybe if you stopped at the question or the reason for the question you would get more useful answers. ???

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 01-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
Why do your posts always get off subject? Maybe if you stopped at the question or the reason for the question you would get more useful answers. ???
My question was whether people donate to their alma maters, why and how much.

I just sent a check on January 14, 2008 to the U of MN Law School for $2.24. I tried to explain why and what this number meant to me.
Old 01-20-2008, 04:32 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

UCLA gets a Christmas present from me every year. The amount varies but is 10% of my annual income.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
UCLA gets a Christmas present from me every year. The amount varies but is 10% of my annual income.
Tithing? One of the reasons I left BYU Law School in 1982. Mormons tithe 10% of their annual income to the Mormon Church. My Puerto Rican dancer roommate looking to convert me was another.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

UCLA gave me a great education and I decided 10% was fair. I don't consider it tithing. I'm not obligated to give it. I do it because I want to.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 01-20-2008, 08:15 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
UCLA gave me a great education and I decided 10% was fair. I don't consider it tithing. I'm not obligated to give it. I do it because I want to.
I would probably give 10% to the University of Nevada, Reno if I had a lot of $ to spare or some to spare. Did really enjoy it at UNR. Beautiful campus and it is not too far a drive to Lake Tahoe, Virginia City, and other places. Never did get much into gambling though even if that is also very much available.

Glad to hear you had a good experience at UCLA. :bigthumbsup:
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.