Call from Cambridge Mass SCAM WARNING

Closed Thread
Old 08-29-2020, 10:04 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Investment Painting Contractors View Post
Watch out my grandson Edward just called. The only problem is I don't have Grandchildren. SCAM WARNING
This has been going on for about 10 yrs. now. Our friend got the same call from his grandson that needed Money, the problem was his grandson was standing right next to him at that exact moment. They hung up!
Old 08-29-2020, 10:12 AM
Talking Play with them..

I love to play with these idiots. I make them repeat everything they say several times. I sound very interested. I ask them where can I send for information. Put them on hold for a minute or tell them I'll be right back after I get my credit card and set the phone down. And my wife gets sooooo mad with me.

I feel I'm keeping them from ripping off some poor person..
Old 08-29-2020, 10:37 AM

AND China... My husband gets at least one call a week, all with US area codes, but from China. He blocks the number, then they just pick another number to use, but, it's always the same person.
Old 08-29-2020, 11:33 AM
Veteran member

I got a scam call while visiting at my daughters a couple of years ago. My son-in-law took over the call and kept the scammer on the line for a good 45 minutes or so. We were having a ball. He originally wanted $500.00. We had him talked down to $200.00 with him paying part of it. He finally figured out we weren't falling for his scam and he let out a stream of profanity that would have embarrassed a sailor. (Using the expression. No reflection meant to real sailors).
Old 08-29-2020, 11:46 AM
Default Why can't Scammers be Stopped

In today's technology knowledge, I find it very hard to understand why the governing bodies and/or the telephone companies can not put a stop to scammers and robocalls. My cell phone will show the caller ID and many of the times show "Scam Call" or "Robocall". I have an app called "Number Guru" which allows for reverse telephone number look up, and most of the times reports Scam number. If the numbers are that identifiable, why can they reverse identify the caller location (and name) and prosecute them. If the scammers have the ability to clone a telephone number, why can't the phone companies put a halt to it through change in technology? It is not only annoying, but many times costs the victim a lot of money.
Old 08-29-2020, 01:06 PM
Location: Philippines, Japan, Indonesia, New Zealand, Uruguay, DC, VA, OH, Village of Santiago

DON'T ANSWER UNKNOWN NUMBERS! If you answer the phone, scammers know they have a live line where someone will answer. That information goes into the scammer's data base and you keep getting calls from random numbers.

If the call is important, the caller will leave a message which you can return when you want. I stopped answering unknown numbers weeks ago and now rarely receive scammer calls.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:07 PM

Never answer phone from unknown number AND don't answer the door unless expecting someone.
Old 08-29-2020, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 14,043 Times in 5,334 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedquick View Post
I got a scam call while visiting at my daughters a couple of years ago. My son-in-law took over the call and kept the scammer on the line for a good 45 minutes or so. We were having a ball. He originally wanted $500.00. We had him talked down to $200.00 with him paying part of it. He finally figured out we weren't falling for his scam and he let out a stream of profanity that would have embarrassed a sailor. (Using the expression. No reflection meant to real sailors).
Interesting idea negotiating with them
Old 08-30-2020, 02:28 AM

They can't call since the dial is/are aa J8#6H7
Old 09-06-2020, 08:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dilligas View Post
In today's technology knowledge, I find it very hard to understand why the governing bodies and/or the telephone companies can not put a stop to scammers and robocalls. My cell phone will show the caller ID and many of the times show "Scam Call" or "Robocall". I have an app called "Number Guru" which allows for reverse telephone number look up, and most of the times reports Scam number. If the numbers are that identifiable, why can they reverse identify the caller location (and name) and prosecute them. If the scammers have the ability to clone a telephone number, why can't the phone companies put a halt to it through change in technology? It is not only annoying, but many times costs the victim a lot of money.
Why? Cause they are making money off them plain and simple. They buy blocks of numbers in the hundreds, so it person blocks That one computer just calls on the next one, you would have to block hundreds to even come close to stopping scam calls.

When you answer they get hit and know it live number, now rhe sell that number to other telemarking scammers. It’s all about the money, they hit the jackpot when somebody falls for scam or gives them access to their device so they can copy The hard drive and plant bug.
Old 09-06-2020, 08:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissy2231 View Post
Never answer phone from unknown number AND don't answer the door unless expecting someone.
Or chick on email that say’s you’re account has been hacked click here or call this number.
Closed Thread

Tags
scam, warning, call, called, problem

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.