Is this called shutting the barn door too late?

Closed Thread
Old 02-24-2023, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
Moose are next….
Somebody warn the folks at the moose lodge! And the lions club and BPOE beware.
Old 02-24-2023, 04:57 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 327 Posts

There are risks in life.

A car on a road here passes a golf cart in the cart lane 15+ mph with a space of a couple feet. If either takes their eye off their driving, smash.

Cars are 5-6 feet away from each other going in opposite directions. Same as above, and crash.

A golfer strays too close to another and the golf club smacks him.

There are so many instances where a life is in danger. We cannot eliminate everything. Minimize the risk yes, but….

We must all be aware of dangers in everyday life. Be aware and be careful.

So sorry if humans are hurt or worse by an alligator. I enjoy seeing the occasional gator while golfing. It would be a sad day if gators are removed from THEIR environment due to a sad, but avoidable incident.
Old 02-24-2023, 05:16 PM
Veteran member

A couple of months ago a dog died after a vicious attack by a another dog on the Historic Side. Last year a dog bite victim had to undergo a series of rabies shots after an attack at the Mulberry Dog Park.

Do we need to consider removing all dogs from The Villages?
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
So were our indigenous natives. We are at the top of the food chain, therefore if we find them(gators) dangerous and of no practical use other than something to look at and say "Oh look!" then they can be removed. Oh my, someone cleared a forest in order to build homes for PEOPLE. What a shame. They were here first. Folks need to wake up (not WOKE) and realize that if we want to exist, we have to step on ants, kill plants and animals in order to eat, etc. If gators present a danger then they need to be removed, whether someone wishes to move them to another, safer environment or just destroy them. This is a residential community, not a wildlife sanctuary.
I agree! Did you know that birds of prey kill domestic cats allowed to roam free? We need to kill all the bald eagles that fly around The Villages. They present a danger, and they need to be removed. This is a residential community, not a wildlife sanctuary.
Old 02-24-2023, 06:58 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

Alligators are predators. That means they hunt other animals for food. When predators become too accustomed to having humans around and not fear them guess what, you become prey to them. To say that they were here first is a ludicrous statement. Bears were here before us so how happy would you be if a bear decided your lanai makes a great place to live and raid your kitchen. How about a water moccasin or cottonmouth likes your flower bed and sets up a den there? Skunks were here before us also. It would be quite aromatic if they decided to make a den beside your house! No problem, right?

Just thought about this. Rats and mice were here before us and so were termites, but people do their best to eliminate them. Remember they were here first!

Last edited by Number 10 GI; 02-24-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
So were our indigenous natives. We are at the top of the food chain, therefore if we find them(gators) dangerous and of no practical use other than something to look at and say "Oh look!" then they can be removed. Oh my, someone cleared a forest in order to build homes for PEOPLE. What a shame. They were here first. Folks need to wake up (not WOKE) and realize that if we want to exist, we have to step on ants, kill plants and animals in order to eat, etc. If gators present a danger then they need to be removed, whether someone wishes to move them to another, safer environment or just destroy them. This is a residential community, not a wildlife sanctuary.
Agree. Survival of the fittest. Humans are the fittest as we have a thought process that alligators do not. They were here first but we are here now. I would like to see every one of the alligators that live in our residential area ponds to be relocated.
Old 02-24-2023, 07:40 PM

Makes me sad to read these posts where people say to kill the gators and use them for luggage and shoes.

The human animal is the most dangerous animal on the planet. I always read about them killing each other vs the alligators. So why don’t we start eliminating them?

Since 1970 they (the human animal) has been responsible for eliminating 60% of the birds, mammals and fish on this planet. Imagine what they think of us?

If you don’t like gators, why did you move to Florida? Was it a secret that they were everywhere? There are in each pond, so if you don’t like that, stay away from the ponds. Simple as that.

Sadly, the human animal feeds the gators, so when they see the human, they come close looking for a free meal.

If you don’t like the other life forms on this planet, move to one without them, such as the moon or Mars.
Old 02-24-2023, 09:26 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,309 Times in 592 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondboy View Post
If you don’t like gators, why did you move to Florida? Was it a secret that they were everywhere?
I don't think anyone moved here because they liked gators. And I don't think anyone moved here because they liked hurricanes.

As far as I can tell, most people move to Florida for the weather and the taxes, and they moved to the Villages for the lifestyle.

Gators and hurricanes are problems with living in Florida but if a problem can be reduced or eliminated, we should do that. Disney has a policy of removing alligators. About 226 were removed between 2016 and 2021.

226 alligators removed from Disney World since toddler’s death 5 years ago
Old 02-24-2023, 09:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I don't think anyone moved here because they liked gators. And I don't think anyone moved here because they liked hurricanes.

As far as I can tell, most people move to Florida for the weather and the taxes, and they moved to the Villages for the lifestyle.

Gators and hurricanes are problems with living in Florida but if a problem can be reduced or eliminated, we should do that. Disney has a policy of removing alligators. About 226 were removed between 2016 and 2021.

226 alligators removed from Disney World since toddler’s death 5 years ago
If Disney would move out of Florida they would save a lot of money not having to move alligators or clean up after hurricanes. (Sarcasm)
Personally, I really enjoy all the wildlife, especially the alligators.
Old 02-25-2023, 05:23 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Alligators are of no use in a populated community. They are only good for luggage, boots and cuisine.
Don’t entirely agree. Having a coexistence with them requires us to recognize the predator - prey relationship and which is which in the environment here. Maintaining them in an enclosed area and keeping a check on their population might be an acceptable alternative
Old 02-25-2023, 05:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Alligators are predators. That means they hunt other animals for food. When predators become too accustomed to having humans around and not fear them guess what, you become prey to them. To say that they were here first is a ludicrous statement. Bears were here before us so how happy would you be if a bear decided your lanai makes a great place to live and raid your kitchen. How about a water moccasin or cottonmouth likes your flower bed and sets up a den there? Skunks were here before us also. It would be quite aromatic if they decided to make a den beside your house! No problem, right?

Just thought about this. Rats and mice were here before us and so were termites, but people do their best to eliminate them. Remember they were here first!
Hmmmm….but you also need to consider “squatters rights”. Very hard to get a court order to get that vermin to move out of your property once they get all settled in. (Lol)
Old 02-25-2023, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Don't disagree with your comments, however, I think you have to think much deeper and in a more complex way concerning this incident. By that I mean, the emotional responses of human beings. Perhaps a majority of the residents of this community were outraged, in much the same way people (understandably) get outraged over any tragic incident. Sometimes the public PRESSURE overrides "common sense". Recent example might be train derailment in Ohio. "Officials" sometimes give "too much" weight to public pressure and this results in an OVER REACTION. In my opinion that is what happened here. As odd as it seems, sometimes an OVER REACTION, like in this case killing or removing ALL gators, will placate the masses ! ? No, it does not make "sense", but oddly enough it will usually serve to calm the emotions of the angry, frustrated, and fearful people.
Over reaction of train derailment? Hmm and what exactly was that point thrown out for, has so much correlation to an alligator attack on a woman, keep your politics...and no I don't agree to placating the masses, but apparently it wasn't your home or family there..
Old 02-25-2023, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I agree! Did you know that birds of prey kill domestic cats allowed to roam free? We need to kill all the bald eagles that fly around The Villages. They present a danger, and they need to be removed. This is a residential community, not a wildlife sanctuary.
I would hope that was sarcasm, but it looks not to be. People are the most destructive beast on this planet, we supposedly have the superior intellect? Killing everything wild because we chose to do stupid things? There is a reason each thing is on this planet. But some make me wonder why, especially some humans.
Old 02-25-2023, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
Spanish Lakes Fairways has removed four alligators from the retention pond where a woman was killed by an alligator earlier this week.

I called The Villages when I first got here and reported an alligator that was in a nearby retention pond. They said that they won't do anything unless it attacks either a person or an animal. So apparently, they get one attack or kill before anyone does anything about them.

Predators are cleared from lake near retirement community after woman savaged to death by reptile | Daily Mail Online
This is their Home not Yours! You invaded their living room they didn’t invade Yours🧐
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Old 02-25-2023, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Alligators are of no use in a populated community. They are only good for luggage, boots and cuisine.
This is their Home not Yours! You invaded their living room they didn’t invade Yours🧐
War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
John Stuart Mill
Closed Thread

Tags
retention, alligator, pond, called, nearby

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.