Is this called shutting the barn door too late?

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2023, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
People just need to use some common sense when they are in a wildlife setting.
I would not consider a high density retirement housing community with many thousands of residents a "wildlife setting".

It's a shame that some want nothing done now. Just wait until somebody gets attacked here, and then see how many people will scream "why didn't anyone do anything" and "should have known this was going to happen".
Old 03-21-2023, 11:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdallas View Post
It is extremely rare for a person to be attacked by an alligator although the media loves to exploit these unusual occurrences.

You do realize that thousands of people fish & swim in Florida lakes and rivers that also have alligators. I was kayaking at Three Sisters Springs/Kings Bay/Crystal River last week and there were literally over 100 swimmers, snorkelers, and scuba divers. It is a popular spot to see manatees but as with all bodies of water in Florida there are also alligators. Next week I am going to Juniper Springs where swimming is also popular and there are also alligators. I am also taking a kayak paddle down the Silver Springs river known for its glass bottom boat tours, alligators, monkeys and manatees.

The woman who was killed recently was foolish enough to walk her dog by the waters edge. The alligator went after the dog but it ran away & in front of the woman who was then a target of opportunity. Humans are not alligator's preferred food but alligators will definitely go after a dog.

People just need to use some common sense when they are in a wildlife setting. Bears, wolves, coyotes, cougars, wild boars, etc. share our spaces but this is no reason to avoid a hike in the forest unless all of these predators are removed and killed.

As for The Villages, stay on the paths, don't allow your pet near the water and you will be safe & sound.
Not really. Our good friend was walking her tiny pup, early one morning on a walking path and noticed a rather large 'gator with it's nose sticking out onto the path that she was walking on. It was early so she was lucky she noticed it in time to avoid a confrontation.
I have a neighbor that says that one of the golf courses he plays on has a big fella that runs up to one of the greens every time someone lands a ball on near the hole on the green. Don't know if he is exaggerating, but if true it's only a matter of time before there will be an issue.
I see no problem with the gators being moved to a wildlife preserve elsewhere in the state. It's not like it is going to upset the ecosystem if we don't have them here. We really don't need all the coyotes we have here, either. I wonder how many here would allow rats, squirrels or raccoons to take up residence in their attic, or would they have someone remove them?
Old 03-21-2023, 12:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byte1 View Post
Not really. Our good friend was walking her tiny pup, early one morning on a walking path and noticed a rather large 'gator with it's nose sticking out onto the path that she was walking on. It was early so she was lucky she noticed it in time to avoid a confrontation.
I have a neighbor that says that one of the golf courses he plays on has a big fella that runs up to one of the greens every time someone lands a ball on near the hole on the green. Don't know if he is exaggerating, but if true it's only a matter of time before there will be an issue.
I see no problem with the gators being moved to a wildlife preserve elsewhere in the state. It's not like it is going to upset the ecosystem if we don't have them here. We really don't need all the coyotes we have here, either. I wonder how many here would allow rats, squirrels or raccoons to take up residence in their attic, or would they have someone remove them?
If I had an alligator in my attic I would surely have it removed. Until then I will let them live in peace.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-21-2023, 12:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenswing View Post
If I had an alligator in my attic I would surely have it removed. Until then I will let them live in peace.
Totally agree. I do not see any reason for them to be removed. Why anybody with such a fear of gators moved to Florida is ridiculous.
Old 03-21-2023, 02:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 8,251 Times in 4,283 Posts

Quote:
The Villages Florida

I've seen exactly ONE alligator walking past a green (on the way to a pond) on an executive course...

I let him "play thru"... He lumbered down to the pond, completely ignoring me...

Quote:
When an alligator takes up residence in my attic, I'll let you know...

-Tom Petty
Old 03-22-2023, 11:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMintzer View Post
The Villages Florida

I've seen exactly ONE alligator walking past a green (on the way to a pond) on an executive course...

I let him "play thru"... He lumbered down to the pond, completely ignoring me...

When an alligator takes up residence in my attic, I'll let you know...
Leave the light on for them. They never stop by.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,645 Times in 1,516 Posts

I don't believe I mentioned anything regarding an alligator in the attic. I suppose it was difficult for some to understand the correlation I used between the alligator and other pests. However, if that was hard to understand, perhaps the question I should have used to make it simple enough to comprehend would be "if an alligator decided to use your pool, would you then simply shrug your shoulders and mutter "c'est la vie?"
I've seen no posts that made sense regarding the alligators living in the Villages. I have seen posts giving good reason to remove them from the community. I suppose that if there was a few more bears moving about the Villages, some would be the same way until the bear visited their home. Perhaps, you would legitimately say that bears were here first when you discovered one sleeping in your birdcage or at your front door? Perhaps when you are walking your dog, you would attempt to take a photo of it to send to your relatives? If instead of one bear, a family of them took up residence near your home, you would take visitors near them for a photo shoot?
Personally, I don't really care what they do to the alligators here, because I am smart enough to stay away from them. Not so with many folks that do not understand the danger of being close enough to be run down by one. I stated my opinion as to what I think they should do in The Villages about them, because that is what folks are discussing on here right now. I believe that they can live a better life outside of the Villages, where their would be less threat of humans disturbing them.
Interesting debate, though.
Old 03-22-2023, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

Quote:
I don't believe I mentioned anything regarding an alligator in the attic. I suppose it was difficult for some to understand the correlation I used between the alligator and other pests. However, if that was hard to understand, perhaps the question I should have used to make it simple enough to comprehend would be "if an alligator decided to use your pool, would you then simply shrug your shoulders and mutter "c'est la vie?"
I've seen no posts that made sense regarding the alligators living in the Villages. I have seen posts giving good reason to remove them from the community. I suppose that if there was a few more bears moving about the Villages, some would be the same way until the bear visited their home. Perhaps, you would legitimately say that bears were here first when you discovered one sleeping in your birdcage or at your front door? Perhaps when you are walking your dog, you would attempt to take a photo of it to send to your relatives? If instead of one bear, a family of them took up residence near your home, you would take visitors near them for a photo shoot?
Personally, I don't really care what they do to the alligators here, because I am smart enough to stay away from them. Not so with many folks that do not understand the danger of being close enough to be run down by one. I stated my opinion as to what I think they should do in The Villages about them, because that is what folks are discussing on here right now. I believe that they can live a better life outside of the Villages, where their would be less threat of humans disturbing them.
Yes. If a gator was in my pool or on my front porch I would call to have it removed. As far as I know that’s what they do now anyway. But some are calling for a wholesale round up and removal of all gators from The Villages which I feel is ridiculous.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-22-2023, 03:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts

Quote:
Yes. If a gator was in my pool or on my front porch I would call to have it removed. As far as I know that’s what they do now anyway. But some are calling for a wholesale round up and removal of all gators from The Villages which I feel is ridiculous.
Totally agree. Why move to FL if you are terrified of gators?
Old 03-22-2023, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,653 Times in 1,496 Posts

Dear "Frightened of Alligators,
You appear to me to have a genuine terror of alligators. You have chosen the position of wanting to eliminate/exterminate them. You see them as a major danger to one and all and refuse to consider the danger to the general public in relation to all other potential dangers, natural or man-made.
In order to truly gage the real/relevant danger of alligators, you must look at all sources of death or injury and compare the numbers. Virtually every potential danger to human life and limb is far greater than alligators. I fear you will find very little support for your cause any where in Florida.
Sincerely,
Loves wildlife
Old 03-22-2023, 07:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Hey Kenswing, have we had a resurrection of an old P.I.A. from about a year or so ago? Almost the same exact words being typed by this person as the old member who mystically evaporated from TOTV'S?

His gator words and general knowledge and ability to skirt the rules and burn new members with his or her replies are just about the same. What say you?

Please tell me it has not been allowed to reincarnate!

P.S. Don't worry about gators, respect them and stay away from the damn ponds. Easy.
Old 03-23-2023, 06:15 PM

This thread is now exactly one month old with the first post made February 23. Over 300 posts that have been written can be summarized with these propositions:

P1: One or more alligators in The Villages might seriously harm one or more persons and one person harmed is one person too many. Thus, the government is morally obligated to remove all the alligators from the 36,000+ acres of The Villages to some place in Florida other than here to eliminate the possibility of harm from an alligator.

P2: The risk of an alligator in The Villages seriously harming someone is remote and we must live with this risk as will live with other remote risks such as car and airplane fatalities.

P3: There is zero probability that the government will remove all alligators from The Villages.

The rest is noise (e.g., alligators in the attic). Any wagers whether the number of alligator posts will get to 500? Even money in my opinion.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,165 Times in 1,926 Posts

Quote:
Agree with you on this subject. As far as "disturbing the eco system" as some posters have claimed if The Villages relocated all the alligators, I have to ask myself........"Would I prefer a few more black snakes in my landscape or the possibility of finding an alligator on my front door step?" No question as to which scenario I would choose.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:21 PM
Sage

Quote:
Problem is....if the gator was sunning itself on my front door step, am I supposed to check every single time I open my front door to see if there is a gator waiting for me there? I don't think so. THAT is the problem with having so many gators in our community. Thankfully, I do not live near water so the chance is more slim that I would find a gator waiting for me on my front door step. BUT......there still is that possibility.
Old 03-29-2023, 12:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
Totally agree. Why move to FL if you are terrified of gators?
I lived in South Florida for a total of 24 years. NEVER EVER gave it a thought that I would run into a gator. NEVER EVER even thought that gators lived in Florida. So dumb of me and I guess ignorance is bliss. I never saw a gator living in South Florida. It is only living here in The Villages that gators are very visible and as some posters have said, "the gators sun themselves by the ponds".

Tags
retention, alligator, pond, called, nearby

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.